• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question about laptop computer plugs.

HIP56948

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Just wondering about "Why so many plugs of different sizes are used in power supplies regarding laptops".
You know, when you buy any small appliance or even some refrigerators you don't have to search your ass off for the "correct" plug. You buy a hair dryer and can be assured that you'll get a standard plug..2 or 3 (ground) plug..plug it in and no-big-deal. Laptop power supplies..Noooooooo. There's what? 12-15 types of plugs. Who in the hell came up with THAT crap? I fully understand about the voltages on most laptops (somewhere at 19 volts...various wattage, depending on the model and size but you would think that at the most, there would be 2-3 standard male plugs. What a pain-in-ass.
Minor rant over... :) :)

Last edited:
Just wondering about "Why so many plugs of different sizes are used in power supplies regarding laptops".
You know, when you buy any small appliance or even some refrigerators you don't have to search your ass off for the "correct" plug. You buy a hair dryer and can be assured that you'll get a standard plug..2 or 3 (ground) plug..plug it in and no-big-deal. Laptop power supplies..Noooooooo. There's what? 12-15 types of plugs. Who in the hell came up with THAT crap? I fully understand about the voltages on most laptops (somewhere at 19 volts...various wattage, depending on the model and size but you would think that at the most, there would be 2-3 standard male plugs. What a pain-in-ass.

They make a kit that has them all, but I have literally never had to replace a lap top plug ever. I guess I know how to take care of my toys.

For around $15 bucks you can buy one of these on Amazon that comes with multiple variable size adaptor head fittings

adaptor.jpg

They make a kit that has them all, but I have literally never had to replace a lap top plug ever. I guess I know how to take care of my toys.
I have only had to twice. One was for a work laptop because our IT guys failed to give me the take home supply until six week later, and I had the flu two weeks in and needed to work from home. The other time was because the supply that came with the laptop was ridiculously short and would not reach outlets in most environments, so I bought a universal adapter with a longer cord.

For around $15 bucks you can buy one of these on Amazon that comes with multiple variable size adaptor head fittings

adaptor.jpg

That one does not look very durable. I would be concerned about the plug overheating. I prefer something more like this one:

61sDveTV6OL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

I fix them on a part time basis. MCP and all that junk. You brought up a good point though. I'm constantly having to fix other people's laptops. As you say..most of them don't take care of their toys, especially when I find some that are so full of "snacks" chips, peanuts, popcorn and dried Coke that I think of "Cockroach depot". Yep, seen some that had roaches in them. Wife was very pleased!

That one does not look very durable. I would be concerned about the plug overheating. I prefer something more like this one:

View attachment 67285746

You have 'the brick' and they sell them on Amazon also. No matter what charger you have, you an buy this at Staples or Amazon or Office Depot or Ebay

Back
Top Bottom