• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question about having a gun beat

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Does anyone think each major network should have a reporter whose has specific knowledge in regards to guns, gun laws, and cases pertaining to the second amendment?

I am just wondering because some of these reporters/pundits do not know the difference between a semi-automatic gun and an automatic gun.

Does anyone think each major network should have a reporter whose has specific knowledge in regards to guns, gun laws, and cases pertaining to the second amendment?

I am just wondering because some of these reporters/pundits do not know the difference between a semi-automatic gun and an automatic gun.

They know the difference they simply don't care enough to be honest in their reporting. It doesn't matter how knowledgeable they are, if they are interested in keeping their jobs the reporters will toe the line and continue to use the two interchangeably

years ago, a local news channel set a rookie lady reporter (this was in the late 80s when the "assault weapon hysteria was starting to become popular) to the range where I was a RO and staff pro shooter. We spent about an hour with her showing her different types of firearms etc. When the channel ran a story about "assault weapons" the channel used another reporter who was clueless.

You are making the assumption that networks care about honest reporting. They don't. If they did then they wouldn't be using the terms assault weapon and assault rifle synonymously. If they cared about honesty then they would be pointing out that those calling for bans on so called assault weapons are really calling for bans on semiautomatic firearms(because that is what so called assault weapons are). If they cared about honesty then they wouldn't be referring to civilian semiautomatic firearms as assault style weapons assault style rifles or assault rifles. If they cared about honesty then they would point out that so called high capacity magazines are really standard capacity. If they cared about honesty then they would do stories on regular civilians who use firearms to save lives and deter and stop crime. These networks are trying to push an anti-2nd amendment agenda. Anti-2nd amendment trash feign ignorance because its a means to an end.

Yes, it's all a yuge conspiracy! Dedicated "expert" (approved by whom?) reporters for every topic that pettifogging whiners do their thing about. It's a ridiculous idea. Put it in the bin.

Yes, it's all a yuge conspiracy! Dedicated "expert" (approved by whom?) reporters for every topic that pettifogging whiners do their thing about. It's a ridiculous idea. Put it in the bin.

ignorance is bliss, stupidity is knowledge, slavery is freedom!!!

They know exactly what they're saying. The Brady Campaign mixes up terms to confuse the public and influence policy.

Pro-gun love to make fun of the public for calling a magazine a 'clip, but that's exactly what the Brady Campaign wants pro-gun to do because it makes pro-gun appear hostile and less likable.

I don’t buy into the paranoid belief that MSM outlets are universally corrupted. Most all have a bent and do report according to that persuasion however, that alone does not mean everything they report is BS. As for a firearms segment being included in general news programs (produced/presented by knowledgeable personnel), I’d like that, but don’t believe there’s a large enough audience in most areas to make it worthwhile.

I don’t buy into the paranoid belief that MSM outlets are universally corrupted. Most all have a bent and do report according to that persuasion, however, that alone does not mean everything they report is BS.
Yes. Yes, it does. It means exactly that. ALL MSM is bull****, only fools even look at it. Fox, CNN, etc. All lies.

Yes. Yes, it does. It means exactly that. ALL MSM is bull****, only fools even look at it. Fox, CNN, etc. All lies.
Where do you get your truth from then?

Where do you get your truth from then?
Why do you need to get the truth from someone else, is the question you should be asking yourself.

Look at everything, save the clearly biased like Fox and CNN. Look at everything. The truth is somewhere in-between. No one says it outright because the truth doesn't generate headlines. The truth isn't interesting, the truth doesn't sell copies or keep subscribers. The truth is bland and boring.

Why do you need to get the truth from someone else, is the question you should be asking yourself.

Look at everything, save the clearly biased like Fox and CNN. Look at everything. The truth is somewhere in-between. No one says it outright because the truth doesn't generate headlines. The truth isn't interesting, the truth doesn't sell copies or keep subscribers. The truth is bland and boring.
I was referring to truth in reporting. We all have to get our information from somewhere. I reference multiple sources across the spectrum, exempting Huff Post and anything further left wing, and Breitbart and anything further right wing, to glean whatever truth that can be found.

I was referring to truth in reporting. We all have to get our information from somewhere. I reference multiple sources across the spectrum, exempting Huff Post and anything further left wing, and Breitbart and anything further right wing, to glean whatever truth that can be found.

OK, which of those sources accurately describes the difference(s) between a semi-auto rifle and an assault rifle?

OK, which of those sources accurately describes the difference(s) between a semi-auto rifle and an assault rifle?
I don’t do pop quizzes. Find the answer yourself.

I don’t do pop quizzes. Find the answer yourself.

The point of the OP was that such factual information should be readily available - not something that is hard to find or which may vary greatly by "news" source. Far too many use the "fact" that a bill/law once defined a vast array of semi-auto rifles, in common use for lawful purposes, as 'assault rifles' then they must be correct. This also occurs while describing a magazine as 'high capacity', carefully avoiding the variations used in defining what constitutes a 'high capacity' magazine - which is capable of holding more than 15, 10, 7 or 5 rounds (depending on the opinion of the folks drafting a given bill/law).

The point of the OP was that such factual information should be readily available - not something that is hard to find or which may vary greatly by "news" source. Far too many use the "fact" that a bill/law once defined a vast array of semi-auto rifles, in common use for lawful purposes, as 'assault rifles' then they must be correct. This also occurs while describing a magazine as 'high capacity', carefully avoiding the variations used in defining what constitutes a 'high capacity' magazine - which is capable of holding more than 15, 10, 7 or 5 rounds (depending on the opinion of the folks drafting a given bill/law).
No, OP’s was clearly defined:
Does anyone think each major network should have a reporter whose has specific knowledge in regards to guns, gun laws, and cases pertaining to the second amendment?.

No, OP’s was clearly defined:

The consistent (correct?) definition of terms such as 'assault rifle' and 'high capacity magazine' by the news media fit the OP's concerns perfectly. That you fail to see so is not my problem.

The consistent (correct?) definition of terms such as 'assault rifle' and 'high capacity magazine' by the news media fit the OP's concerns perfectly. That you fail to see so is not my problem.
I understand perfectly. That you, or the OP, think it would make any difference to the average nightly news watcher is silly.

I understand perfectly. That you, or the OP, think it would make any difference to the average nightly news watcher is silly.

I can certainly agree that many watch the news to see confirmation bias presented as fact.

Back
Top Bottom