• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question about arrest

Travelsonic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Question:

We know the police can lie to a detained person when trying to get information from them, but are there limits? Things they can NOT lie about when trying to coerce a person to talk? If so, what are they?

Last edited:
Question:
We know the police can lie to a detained person but are there limits? Things they can NOT lie about when trying to coerce a person to talk?

Me and my cousin was stopped by the police one late night several years ago, and we were questioned separately. The policemen thought we were in some sort of gang, and thought it was suspicious of us driving so late and night, and we looked like we were still in our teens. They said it was a routine stop, blah blah blah.

The officer question me first, then my cousin, then back to me. The officer asked "So what gang are you from?" I denied it of course. Then he says that my cousin told him that we belonged to a gang. I said BS. He then pointed to my arm and asked, "then why do you have that tattoo?" I told him it was a scar.

In the end, they let us go cause they had nothing, and we weren't even doing anything to begin with. I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect, I think we were racially profiled. The questions they asked us were to find out if we were on drugs or in a local gang.

I'm not sure if this is actually appropriate behavior of officers...

Me and my cousin was stopped by the police one late night several years ago, and we were questioned separately. The policemen thought we were in some sort of gang, and thought it was suspicious of us driving so late and night, and we looked like we were still in our teens. They said it was a routine stop, blah blah blah.

The officer question me first, then my cousin, then back to me. The officer asked "So what gang are you from?" I denied it of course. Then he says that my cousin told him that we belonged to a gang. I said BS. He then pointed to my arm and asked, "then why do you have that tattoo?" I told him it was a scar.

In the end, they let us go cause they had nothing, and we weren't even doing anything to begin with. I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect, I think we were racially profiled. The questions they asked us were to find out if we were on drugs or in a local gang.

I'm not sure if this is actually appropriate behavior of officers...

My friend and I were stopped too, simply because we were wearing bandanas and looked at the cops as tehy drove by. I looked at them since they were staring at us, they turned around and pulled us over. They lied about what the other said too, in order to trip us up. But we weren't in a gang (we are surfers that were wearing bandanas from a basketball game actually for sweating...) and it was all crap. Actually, since we were both white males, the mexican male cop and the female white cop gave us a ton of **** and roughed us up a little, she smacked my balls when getting frisked while is a finger lock and he kept rapping our heads with one of the num-chuck sticks that he found in my car. We both too martial arts as well and verified our dojo and instructor to him... anyway, it was a bunch of bull**** and they were asshole cops that let the real bad guys get away (cops mistook us for some kids sneaking around houses, or something.)

Police are allowed to lie about pretty much anything when trying to get a confession. They can claim to have video, fingerprints, witnesses. They can manufacture evidence and claim it was recovered at the scene etc...

What the police cannot do is explicitly or impliedly make promises of leniency in exchange for a confession.

Actually, since we were both white males, the mexican male cop and the female white cop gave us a ton of **** and roughed us up a little, she smacked my balls when getting frisked while is a finger lock and he kept rapping our heads with one of the num-chuck sticks that he found in my car.

Wouldn't get my to confess to a damn thing, but I'd still end up going to prison for a long, long time. Only consolation I'd get is instead of helping them make their numbers, I'd be helping them straight into medical retirement.

Police are allowed to lie about pretty much anything when trying to get a confession. They can claim to have video, fingerprints, witnesses. They can manufacture evidence and claim it was recovered at the scene etc...

What the police cannot do is explicitly or impliedly make promises of leniency in exchange for a confession.

What about saying they'll let you go if you talk? (or similar lines?)

Say you are met by a police car, , detained, and told that if you talk/give them information/confess towards something, they'll let you go, is that legit?

Last edited:
Wouldn't get my to confess to a damn thing, but I'd still end up going to prison for a long, long time. Only consolation I'd get is instead of helping them make their numbers, I'd be helping them straight into medical retirement.

So you advocate harming police officers, noted.

What about saying they'll let you go if you talk? (or similar lines?)

Say you are met by a police car, , detained, and told that if you talk/give them information/confess towards something, they'll let you go, is that legit?

If they follow through with it then yes its legit, lol.

Question:

We know the police can lie to a detained person when trying to get information from them, but are there limits? Things they can NOT lie about when trying to coerce a person to talk? If so, what are they?

They cannot cause emotional stress, like saying if he doesnt confess they will murder his mother.

If they follow through with it then yes its legit, lol.

I mean if they say they will let you go if you talk, and you do talk, but the result is in further detention/arrest?

I mean if they say they will let you go if you talk, and you do talk, but the result is in further detention/arrest?

Then that evidence will be thrown out.

Question is, is there anything that can be used (legal cases, law) to back up this? [sources, essentially]?

If this is indeed true (being told they will let you go if you then talking, resulting in further detention/formal arrest = no no/grounds for evidence being thrown out), I really need to know for reasons I am not allowed to elaborate on.

Last edited:
Question is, is there anything that can be used (legal cases, law) to back up this? [sources, essentially]?

If this is indeed true (being told they will let you go if you then talking, resulting in further detention/formal arrest = no no), I really need to know for reasons I am not allowed to elaborate on

Consult an attorney.

A cop can't tell you he's going to anally rape you if he's lying.

It's ok if he's telling the truth though.

Weird law.

So you advocate harming police officers, noted.

I advocate harming everyone, eventually.

I don't care what the goddamn law says about this being a legal and perfectly legitimate police tactic to pad their arrest count. This is assault against a person they expect not to fight back, and who is bound by law not to fight back, and who is in the vast majority of cases unarmed. Nobody hits me for free, and the only reason police officers get it worse than anyone else is that I know I'm going to end up dying in prison when it's over.

With any luck, this isn't something I seriously have to worry about. For the most part, I like cops and I don't like the idea of having to hurt one.

Good luck proving it.

You: Officer Dip**** said he would let me off if I told him so I did and he arrested me.
Cop: I did not say I would let him off.
Judge: I trust officer Dip**** more than you. Guilty!.

Its rarely about whether you are right or wrong. Its about what you can PROVE if it goes to court. Unless you are an amazing citizen with a squeaky clean record, community service, and you save small children and pets from fires, the judge isn't going to believe your word over an officers. Only other hope is if the officer has a shady record which isn't likely.

Last edited:
I advocate harming everyone, eventually.

I don't care what the goddamn law says about this being a legal and perfectly legitimate police tactic to pad their arrest count. This is assault against a person they expect not to fight back, and who is bound by law not to fight back, and who is in the vast majority of cases unarmed. Nobody hits me for free, and the only reason police officers get it worse than anyone else is that I know I'm going to end up dying in prison when it's over.

With any luck, this isn't something I seriously have to worry about. For the most part, I like cops and I don't like the idea of having to hurt one.

Im confused on where police officers hitting citizens came into this conversation except with....you.

Im confused on where police officers hitting citizens came into this conversation except with....you.

Bohdi was talking about a cop that rapping num-chucks against his head.

Korimyr's response was due to that.

Good luck proving it.

You: Officer Dip**** said he would let me off if I told him so I did and he arrested me.
Cop: I did not say I would let him off.
Judge: I trust officer Dip**** more than you. Guilty!.

Its rarely about whether you are right or wrong. Its about what you can PROVE if it goes to court. Unless you are an amazing citizen with a squeaky clean record, community service, and you save small children and pets from fires, the judge isn't going to believe your word over an officers. Only other hope is if the officer has a shady record which isn't likely.

In the case of my friend, four people said it to him (2 officers, 2 investigators, and this was the first time arrested ever for him.

In the case of my friend, four people said it to him (2 officers, 2 investigators, and this was the first time arrested ever for him.

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Do you understand these rights?"

Tell your friend to learn it, live it, and love it. When you waive your rights by talking without an attorney present, all bets are off.

Last edited:

If this is indeed true (being told they will let you go if you then talking, resulting in further detention/formal arrest = no no/grounds for evidence being thrown out), I really need to know for reasons I am not allowed to elaborate on.

Isn't there a camera in the interview room?

Bohdi was talking about a cop that rapping num-chucks against his head.

Korimyr's response was due to that.

Having grown up in CA where chucks are illegal, one of the first things I noticed about CO while I was moving there were the cops carrying chucks in place of a night stick.

I didn't realize it at the time, but in retrospect, I think we were racially profiled.

A buddy of mine and his girlfriend down in Denver got pulled over for driving while black the other week. It was pretty obvious too. My friend bought a car and the windows are horribly tinted, recently he just bought a ridiculous sound system for it. So they were driving down with the music turned up and they got pulled over. Cop walks up, looks into the car, sees two white folk in their 30's. Basically he scoffs and tells them to move along. No questioning, no tickets, non of it. Just got pulled over, when the cop realized they were white, it seems like he stopped caring. Sent them on their way.

Having grown up in CA where chucks are illegal, one of the first things I noticed about CO while I was moving there were the cops carrying chucks in place of a night stick.

Badass! Colorado cops are really ninjas!

Back
Top Bottom