• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Question 4 for Christians

alphamale

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why does God let children die of cancer? If he is all powerful, why won't he intervene?

alphamale said:
Why does God let children die of cancer? If he is all powerful, why won't he intervene?

It is not for us to know the mind of God, only to have faith in His love for us. God created this earth and all the beings on it and then he stepped back to allow us full control. That means control of how we treat one another and all the terrible ills we unleash on the planet. A child dying of cancer is no more Gods fault than the polluted water which caused the cancer to form. The hunger of Africa is no more gods fault than the greed of the neighboring country who has food stores for all and then some. But trust me when I say, God will be ready to bring each suffering child to his heart when their time comes.

jallman said:
It is not for us to know the mind of God, only to have faith in His love for us. God created this earth and all the beings on it and then he stepped back to allow us full control. That means control of how we treat one another and all the terrible ills we unleash on the planet. A child dying of cancer is no more Gods fault than the polluted water which caused the cancer to form. The hunger of Africa is no more gods fault than the greed of the neighboring country who has food stores for all and then some. But trust me when I say, God will be ready to bring each suffering child to his heart when their time comes.

Come on. God certainly didn't give us "full control". Floods, earthquakes, diseases - man neither created nor has control over. God created human beings and their cells, cells which are intrinsically susceptible to cancer, e.g.

alphamale said:
Come on. God certainly didn't give us "full control". Floods, earthquakes, diseases - man neither created nor has control over. God created human beings and their cells, cells which are intrinsically susceptible to cancer, e.g.

and you dont see that these adversities mold us and shape us into something better...something with a greater appreciation for the lives we live? There are evils in the world to be sure, and they are evils god does nothing to stop. But those evils are tests not necessarily of faith, but of our resolve to continue to grow past them...we have control, we have all the power in the world to make life what we want it to be...after all, we were made in God's image.

jallman said:
and you dont see that these adversities mold us and shape us into something better...something with a greater appreciation for the lives we live? There are evils in the world to be sure, and they are evils god does nothing to stop. But those evils are tests not necessarily of faith, but of our resolve to continue to grow past them...we have control, we have all the power in the world to make life what we want it to be...after all, we were made in God's image.

Was a child who died of leukemia shaped into something better? No - he's dead. Were his parents "shaped"? No, some commit suicide out of grief. Why is all this "shaping" necessary, anyway? If God wants people of good character, why not create them that way to begin with?

alphamale said:
Was a child who died of leukemia shaped into something better? No - he's dead. Were his parents "shaped"? No, some commit suicide out of grief. Why is all this "shaping" necessary, anyway? If God wants people of good character, why not create them that way to begin with?

The child who died of leukemia has been made perfect in spirit, brought to the heart of God. The parents have known the love of a parent and, optimally should know deepest compassion and appreciation for eachother. If one commits suicide, there is no fault upon God, because suicide is not growth, but immediate termination of the life god gave.

As for the last question...do you believe it is wholesome to take away the choice of the individual...the ability to choose to love or not? God wants out love and commitment...you dont get those things from automatons who have no choice.

alphamale said:

I think an even better way to ask this is to ask why a loving and merciful God allows children to be raped.

MrFungus420 said:
I think an even better way to ask this is to ask why a loving and merciful God allows children to be raped.

Why does man spit in eachothers face by allowing rapists to go so lightly punished?

alphamale said:

That's a good question. I'm waiting a good Christian response. The shitty part of that is, say a kid is crippled with cancer his whole life and suffers his whole life. He never heard of Christ or the Judeo-Christian God. So, according to mythology, God's gonna compound his suffering, and he's gonna spend all of eternity in a burning furnace, when this prick "God" is responsible.:lol:

kal-el said:
That's a good question. I'm waiting a good Christian response. The shitty part of that is, say a kid is crippled with cancer his whole life and suffers his whole life. He never heard of Christ or the Judeo-Christian God. So, according to mythology, God's gonna compound his suffering, and he's gonna spend all of eternity in a burning furnace, when this prick "God" is responsible.:lol:

Could we please try not to get all christian bashing in here. You have got no clue how twisted the logic was and how stereotypical what you said was. The question is a very good one and deserves a lot of discussion, but please, leave the colorful explitives out of it...this isnt an abortion thread. :mrgreen:

Why does God let bad things happen?

That's a question that can never be answered as it relates to christianity. I have read about more new age ideas that suggest that reincarnation allows the soul to choose its next experience and some people choose these bad things. Thats got to be the WORST explanation and biggest cop out I have ever heard!

jallman said:
Could we please try not to get all christian bashing in here. You have got no clue how twisted the logic was and how stereotypical what you said was. The question is a very good one and deserves a lot of discussion, but please, leave the colorful explitives out of it...this isnt an abortion thread. :mrgreen:

Hey if you cannot take the heat, get the **** out of the kitchen, I have yet to hear a semi-satisfactory answer to this very real question. You're right, it was a very good question, but why should Alphamale only be exposed to the Christian viewpoint, is that fair?

kal-el said:
Hey if you cannot take the heat, get the **** out of the kitchen, I have yet to hear a semi-satisfactory answer to this very real question. You're right, it was a very good question, but why should Alphamale only be exposed to the Christian viewpoint, is that fair?

but did I make harsh statements about any other belief? Did I have to lash out at anyone to make my point. Did I offer you any venom or call you a sinner or make any kind of assertion, through implication or direct insult, that any other belief was invalid. I was only asking for the same respect, man.

But I see where you seem to want to go with this, and even though I am asking that we dont, I am willing to go there with you if we must. Just promise we will be over it by the time the smallville premier airs. :2wave:

jallman said:
but did I make harsh statements about any other belief? Did I have to lash out at anyone to make my point. Did I offer you any venom or call you a sinner or make any kind of assertion, through implication or direct insult, that any other belief was invalid. I was only asking for the same respect, man.

Dude, last time I checked this was not communist China. It is an open forum. I can present my opinions without getting chatsised. I don't think it's right to only expose the author of this thread to just 1 viewpoint.

But I see where you seem to want to go with this, and even though I am asking that we dont, I am willing to go there with you if we must. Just promise we will be over it by the time the smallville premier airs. :2wave:

Ahh, I'm too tired to get into a drawn-out arguement now, maybe tomorrow.:2razz:

kal-el said:
Dude, last time I checked this was not communist China. It is an open forum. I can present my opinions without getting chatsised. I don't think it's right to only expose the author of this thread to just 1 viewpoint.

Thats great and I am chastising you about your opinions. I got no room to chastise. I am just saying I want to hear your opinions and discuss it from both points of view, but I dont want to do it with a bunch "well you're going to hell" and "God is a prick" thrown in there. If that starts now all thats gonna happen is a good discussion is gonna turn into mudslinging contest like the abortion threads do. Plus, I dont want to do that with people, all of whose posts I normally enjoy reading. Do what you like, I got a thick skin, but I just wanted you to be aware that its kind of offensive...more so than if you called me a fag, thats all.

Ahh, I'm too tired to get into a drawn-out arguement now, maybe tomorrow.:2razz:

I agree. Its about my bedtime and later we can do this from a fresh start.

jallman said:
Thats great and I am chastising you about your opinions. I got no room to chastise. I am just saying I want to hear your opinions and discuss it from both points of view, but I dont want to do it with a bunch "well you're going to hell" and "God is a prick" thrown in there. If that starts now all thats gonna happen is a good discussion is gonna turn into mudslinging contest like the abortion threads do. Plus, I dont want to do that with people, all of whose posts I normally enjoy reading. Do what you like, I got a thick skin, but I just wanted you to be aware that its kind of offensive...more so than if you called me a fag, thats all.

Well I apologize if it's offensive, but realistically speaking anyone that is responsible for millions of deaths, orders rapes and killings, I am gonna keep on using select terminology. If an enity has so many faults, I feel rather uncomfortable calling them "God".

I agree. Its about my bedtime and later we can do this from a fresh start.

Pencil me in.

kal-el said:
Well I apologize if it's offensive, but realistically speaking anyone that is responsible for millions of deaths, orders rapes and killings, I am gonna keep on using select terminology. If an enity has so many faults, I feel rather uncomfortable calling them "God".

Okay, I can live with that...but I'm not asking you to call him God for the record. And lets just put something to rest...I'm not trying to convert anyone either...I just want to discuss these questions and feel like I am not being attacked when I offer my point of view. You are gonna find that a lot of other christians are gonna probably give me hell too, but they are normally the ones that we probably mutually despise.

Pencil me in.

Already done. :2wave:

jallman said:
Why does man spit in eachothers face by allowing rapists to go so lightly punished?

That has absolutely nothing to do with my point.

If God is loving and omnipotent, then how can He allow children to be raped?

The very fact that this heinous crime occurs tells me that God is, at best, indifferent to our existence. Or, at least indifferent to the suffering of the child. In either case, definately not a loving God.

Either that, or God is powerless to prevent it. In which case He is not omnipotent.

MrFungus420 said:
That has absolutely nothing to do with my point.

If God is loving and omnipotent, then how can He allow children to be raped?

The very fact that this heinous crime occurs tells me that God is, at best, indifferent to our existence. Or, at least indifferent to the suffering of the child. In either case, definately not a loving God.

Either that, or God is powerless to prevent it. In which case He is not omnipotent.

Yet god prescribes a remedy for rapists and man chooses not to implement it...who's fault is it really?

jallman said:
The child who died of leukemia has been made perfect in spirit, brought to the heart of God.

Whaaaatttttttt????????

The parents have known the love of a parent and, optimally should know deepest compassion and appreciation for eachother.

Any way to achieve these ends without leukemia??

If one commits suicide, there is no fault upon God, because suicide is not growth, but immediate termination of the life god gave.

Or perhaps a human response to a situation god created by creating humans susceptible to leukemia.

alphamale said:
Whaaaatttttttt????????

The child who died of leukemia has been made perfect in spirit, brought to the heart of God.

Any way to achieve these ends without leukemia??

Obviously, as not everyone dies of leukemia in childhood and heaven's gates are open for all.

Or perhaps a human response to a situation god created by creating humans susceptible to leukemia.

Or perhaps a thankless denial of all the gifts that life has to offer in other ways.

alphamale said:
Earth is not suppose to be a utopia. It is wrong to assume the false premis that earth is supose to be perfect to an absolute. Earth is perfect to it's purpose, which is to produce us.

Each person has a preset purpose. If a child is suffering from cancer, there is a reason for it. I could only conjecture as to what some such reasons mite be. Perhaps the purpose of that childs life is to help others realize the value of their life, allow others to learn empathy, or overcome some personal spiritual challenge.

God does intervene when intervention is called for.

Our purpose on this earth is not to live in a utopia, but to suffer; and by our own hands, mind you. By suffering we grow.

Jerry said:
Earth is not suppose to be a utopia. It is wrong to assume the false premis that earth is supose to be perfect to an absolute.

Well in that case, God cannot be omnibenevolent. And a perfect being cannot produce anything imperfect.

Earth is perfect to it's purpose, which is to produce us.

To produce us? Please explain.

Each person has a preset purpose.

Then we do not have free will. If God's purpose is to make Jim an artist, and he is a mechanic, and he doesn't want to be an artist, God must infringe on his free will to make him an artist.

If a child is suffering from cancer, there is a reason for it. I could only conjecture as to what some such reasons mite be. Perhaps the purpose of that childs life is to help others realize the value of their life, allow others to learn empathy, or overcome some personal spiritual challenge.

Or, maybe there's perfect medical explanation for why they are suffering. Why would a loving God, torture to death 1 child, to help others realize value? Surely an omnipotent God can swoop down from the sky fortress and explain to them their value, no need for torment or death.

God does intervene when intervention is called for.

Name 1 time when God intervened. O, and provide various un-biased links supporting this manifesto.

Our purpose on this earth is not to live in a utopia, but to suffer; and by our own hands, mind you. By suffering we grow.

Geese, 2 in a row. That fundamentalist doughgirl just spewed nonsense worthy of my signature, this is right up there too.

And "God" gave life to Aids.

The same drive in that life, a virus, is in us as well, survive. It lies in our reptile brain. Want the utmost example? T-Rex.

Life is life it will seek to live, even cancer is governed by an "intelligence" all its own as part we too share. Perfect.

Why stop life? We know we are here in transient form, the cancer and that child both share it, we can not live forever. Why stop one perfect set of rules to exist even for cancer when another set exist to practice within them?

Free will was given not for "God" to intervine, but for us to. We all will die, death stalks us as unwary prey, not different from any other life.

We can help people to "live" even a short life, one of love, compassion, and empathy.

KMS

kal-el said:
Geese, 2 in a row. That fundamentalist doughgirl just spewed nonsense worthy of my signature, this is right up there too.
I just sent this in to the mod team:
This is not a complaint about a post, per se, but a complaint of being misquoted in a sig. Kal-el has a line of mine in his sig from "Question 4 for Christians" post 22. Kal-el quotes me as saying “Our purpose on this earth is not to live in a utopia, but to suffer”, but the entire quote is “Our purpose on this earth is not to live in a utopia, but to suffer; and by our own hands, mind you. By suffering we grow.”

I do not mind being quoted in a sig, but please have Kal-el either quote me accurately, or not at all.

Thanks.
As I've told you elsewhere, since you seek to persecute, to fight, I'll not be responding to your posts.

Back
Top Bottom