• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Question 12 for Christians

alphamale

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God” (Exodus 20:4-5).

"Jealous"???

alphamale said:
“You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God” (Exodus 20:4-5).

"Jealous"???

are you not jealous over the people and things which you love most? You never feel jealousy over a lover or perhaps even a child who starts to leave the nest before you are ready for them to? Jealousy is a vibrant emotion that is actually a joy to feel if you keep it in perspective and dont let it come possession. I am jealous over my boyfriend even when I think of things like danger that can affect him...I jealousy is a way that human beings feel when they dont want to lose something...and it is because they love it so much that they are actually concerned over its loss. Why shouldnt God feel that way too about the very beings he breathed life into. I dont want my boyfriend sleeping with other people, sort of like god doesnt want us worshipping other gods. Doesnt say other people cant do so...so long as we who do believe in him dont.

Anyone can believe or not believe in anything they wish...I just kind of feel secure that the God I have chosen...who also chose me by nature of my gift of faith...loves me so much He actually gets jealous.

jallman said:
are you not jealous over the people and things which you love most? You never feel jealousy over a lover or perhaps even a child who starts to leave the nest before you are ready for them to? Jealousy is a vibrant emotion that is actually a joy to feel if you keep it in perspective and dont let it come possession. I am jealous over my boyfriend even when I think of things like danger that can affect him...I jealousy is a way that human beings feel when they dont want to lose something...and it is because they love it so much that they are actually concerned over its loss. Why shouldnt God feel that way too about the very beings he breathed life into. I dont want my boyfriend sleeping with other people, sort of like god doesnt want us worshipping other gods. Doesnt say other people cant do so...so long as we who do believe in him dont.

Anyone can believe or not believe in anything they wish...I just kind of feel secure that the God I have chosen...who also chose me by nature of my gift of faith...loves me so much He actually gets jealous.

but isnt jealousy a sin? how could god sin?

star2589 said:
but isnt jealousy a sin? how could god sin?

envy is a sin...that desire to possess what is not yours. God does not show envy over us, but once we give ourselves over to him, he has every right to be jealous over us. Those same idol worshippers...if they forsake their idols and commit to God, he will be jealous over them too because he will take our commitment as a sign of love and willingness to share his love. When someone commits to you, dont you sort of have the same expectation?

jallman said:
envy is a sin...that desire to possess what is not yours. God does not show envy over us, but once we give ourselves over to him, he has every right to be jealous over us. Those same idol worshippers...if they forsake their idols and commit to God, he will be jealous over them too because he will take our commitment as a sign of love and willingness to share his love. When someone commits to you, dont you sort of have the same expectation?

Wait a minute - I thought God set things up so people had free will and a choice. If they don't chose Him, why should He be jealous? He's the one who made the rules of the game!

alphamale said:
Wait a minute - I thought God set things up so people had free will and a choice. If they don't chose Him, why should He be jealous? He's the one who made the rules of the game!

back up...I said once you choose him he has every right to be jealous. There is no negation of free will. Even after you choose him, you have to make a daily choice to stay with him...sometimes hourly when your faith is tested my the events of every day life. I see that as no different between the choices we make over our friends or our lovers or our family even...sometimes they test you and you maintain your loyalty and devotion out of faith in them to be what made you fall for them or respect them in the first place. There is always free will and choice...but that doesnt mean he cant be jealous when he sees us slipping. Like I said, there is a difference between jealousy and being possessive.

There's another element at play here.

God doesn't want us worshipping other Gods because all that worship properly goes to him. God created trees...then people started worshipping trees. They were worshipping the creaTION instead of the creaTOR. The worship properly belongs to God. So he is jealous.

God created the sun. He created the system and the gravitational laws that make it appear to rise and set...not quite as simple as the chariot pulling it across the sky the way people believed the SUN GOD made it move. God did it...but the people gave all the credit to a person from their imagination and worshipped that instead. So he is jealous

When good things happen and we credit "luck," God is jealous. When "fortune smiles on us" and we credit our brains or hard work or good looks, God is jealous. Funny though...when disaster hits we always want to know what God has against us. :lol:

jallman said:
back up...I said once you choose him he has every right to be jealous. There is no negation of free will. Even after you choose him, you have to make a daily choice to stay with him...sometimes hourly when your faith is tested my the events of every day life. I see that as no different between the choices we make over our friends or our lovers or our family even...sometimes they test you and you maintain your loyalty and devotion out of faith in them to be what made you fall for them or respect them in the first place. There is always free will and choice...but that doesnt mean he cant be jealous when he sees us slipping. Like I said, there is a difference between jealousy and being possessive.

How can jealousy be looked at as a vice in humans, but a virtue in God? If He isn't chosen by his creations who have free will, why doesn't He just say to hell with them (literally, I guess) and forget about it?

alphamale said:
How can jealousy be looked at as a vice in humans, but a virtue in God? If He isn't chosen by his creations who have free will, why doesn't He just say to hell with them (literally, I guess) and forget about it?

he kinda does when you dont choose him...you are left to your own devices. But once you have...just like any other relationship, he has expectations of faith and commitment. Jealousy isnt a vice in humans...its just an emotion. Possessiveness is a vice because it is jealousy put into aggressive action to own and make another submit to desires by force.

jallman said:
he kinda does when you dont choose him...

:shock:

uh oh

But really what if you have no relationship with God but you are a genuinely loving and caring person....don't you think he'd still like you? And if he doesn't than isn't he the rude one?

talloulou said:
:shock:

uh oh

But really what if you have no relationship with God but you are a genuinely loving and caring person....don't you think he'd still like you? And if he doesn't than isn't he the rude one?

Well, I feel if you never gace yourself for various reasons then you are held to a different standard. I also feel that if you never heard of god or worshipped him in another way or through another religion or something...you get held to a different standard too.

“But really what if you have no relationship with God but you are a genuinely loving and caring person....don't you think he'd still like you? And if he doesn't than isn't he the rude one?”

Of course He never stops loving you.

BUT....Only God is "good".

Read Mark 10:18
Jesus answered, "Why do you call me good? No person is good. Only God is good.

Being loving and caring and a “good person” is not enough. Gods idea of what being good is completely different than ours.

It does make good sense that good people would go to heaven. And most people are convinced that they are good enough to get into heaven but they are not. They believe they are good, (not perfect, because if only perfect people got in no one would get in), or at least somewhere in the middle so their chances are good that they will go, cause God just loves them.

Scripture however does not back this up.

The Bible says: Romans 3:10, "There is No One Who is righteous."

The Bible says: Romans 3:20, "NO ONE will be declared righteous in His sight BY OBSERVING THE LAW."

The Bible says: Romans 3:23, "For ALL have sinned and FALLEN SHORT of the glory of God."

Bottom line… No one can ever be as good as the Bible says we must be to enter heaven. Nothing we can do or say....is enough.

I have heard people say that they have not broken many of the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments no where says that this is how we get to heaven; they were never given to us as a standard of obedience which guarantees us life with God in eternity. They do however make us conscience however of our sin.

"For whoever keeps the whole Law and yet stumbles at just ONE POINT is guilty OF breaking ALL of it." (James 2:10)

So if you have broken one law you have broken them all. Does that make us good, by Gods standards? No.

You still hear people say, “ Well I haven’t done that much bad in my lifetime and I am moral, I’m certainly am better than my neighbor….”

How much of our life though has to be good for us to be good enough to get into heaven.? 50%? 75% ?????

Jesus told good people they were going to hell; Matthew 23:13, 15 / Matthew 5:20, Luke 18:9-14

Jesus told the bad people that there was hope for them; Luke 19:7, 10 /Matthew 9:11-13

Jesus told a criminal who had no opportunity to do good works that his life of crime was "no problem"

Jesus taught that good people don't go to heaven and that bad people sometimes go to heaven.

What Jesus did teach was this.... THAT GOOD WORKS REALLY AREN'T THE ISSUE; THAT THE ISSUE IS YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO JESUS. (LUKE 23:32-45)

Being good and doing good works do not save your soul…..accepting Jesus Christ does. We are taught that in scriptures. Jesus says it Himself. And if you believe other wise or question scriptures then really you call Jesus a liar.

alphamale said:

"Jealous"???
Yes, very.

alphamale said:

"Jealous"???

Haha, jealousy if it advances to possesiveness, is another form of selfishness. For example, if you get jealous if your girlfriend is hanging out with another guy, it's fine, just as long as it's kept simple. But if the green-eyed monster progresses, watch out. If you have it that your girlfriend (or boyfriend) cannot engage in sexual activity with anyone else, that's fine, as long as you both want that. But if you have a hissy-fit and go on a verbal tirade because your girl was with someone else, it's not because you love her, it's because you don't want to lose the very pleasure you're so much in the habit of receiving; selfishness.

Back
Top Bottom