• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Queers[W:197]

Re: Queers

I hear the term regularly in Seattle, a very queer positive city.

This is one of those words that has changed very quickly as far as political correctness. It used to be pejorative. And I imagine it still is if you yell, "Hey queer!" at some one. But it is generally accepted now, even when used by straight people. But In its accepted for, as far as I have seen, it is used an adjective and not a noun.

I always thought it was faggot that was the pejorative and that queer was more of the word used mostly within the community...

Thank you, it is of course only beat in ridiculousness by your nonsensical OP

I'm very curious why you would be so offended as to insult ME in your first post on this thread because I think the word "queer" is an insult when used to describe people of a different sexual orientation.

Besides causing confusion political correctness has gone much too far and is begging a backlash. As a matter of fact there have been a good number of relatively interesting articles pointing out that Trump's success might be partly due to people liking his less pc talk.

You don't say...

I'm very curious why you would be so offended as to insult ME in your first post on this thread because I think the word "queer" is an insult when used to describe people of a different sexual orientation.

Im just wondering what a straight white person from a liberal area could offer up as perspective for the negative terms of homosexuals and minorities. Im not saying I have any perspective but at least I know I dont have the perspective.

This is one of those words that has changed very quickly as far as political correctness. It used to be pejorative. And I imagine it still is if you yell, "Hey queer!" at some one. But it is generally accepted now, even when used by straight people. But In its accepted for, as far as I have seen, it is used an adjective and not a noun.

The juvenile part of me gets a little chuckle whenever I'm reading Tolkien, where the use of the words "queer", and, "faggot" have entirely different meanings. :mrgreen:

I always thought it was faggot that was the pejorative and that queer was more of the word used mostly within the community...

And yet Milo Yiannopoulos (a queer) has been doing a "Dangerous Faggot" tour around universities.....

The juvenile part of me gets a little chuckle whenever I'm reading Tolkien, where the use of the words "queer", and, "faggot" have entirely different meanings. :mrgreen:

I remember the first time I went to Great Britain with my parents. I was about 16. My cousin was studying in London for a semester and we went to see her. She was going to a party that night and asked my parents if I could go along, promising to keep a close watch on me. At the party everyone was smoking. One of the partygoers came up to me and said "Fag?". I was like.....um, no. I think I'm straight.

Of course he was offering me a ciggy.

There's a thread in this forum that purposefully addresses LGBT people as queers. WTF? How is that appropriate? Where I come from, that's pretty much the equivalent of the N word. So are we so enlightened now that we can call people of different sexual orientations "queer"? Or is this one of those words where, if you are one, it's perfectly okay?

Some people are their own worst enemies.

Good morning Maggie - you're absolutely right - I've never understood how people who scream racism and homophobia with every breath also use such phrases/words as words of endearment when kibitzing with each other. I have never called another white man a honky nor would I ever consider it a light hearted term of endearment.

Get ready to be ambushed by the PC crowd.

I remember the first time I went to Great Britain with my parents. I was about 16. My cousin was studying in London for a semester and we went to see her. She was going to a party that night and asked my parents if I could go along, promising to keep a close watch on me. At the party everyone was smoking. One of the partygoers came up to me and said "Fag?". I was like.....um, no. I think I'm straight.

Of course he was offering me a ciggy.

LOL. :lol:

There's a thread in this forum that purposefully addresses LGBT people as queers. WTF? How is that appropriate? Where I come from, that's pretty much the equivalent of the N word. So are we so enlightened now that we can call people of different sexual orientations "queer"? Or is this one of those words where, if you are one, it's perfectly okay?

Some people are their own worst enemies.

These are people fighting against political correctness. Personally I use the term gay. I would never fall into the LGBT thing. It is far too politically correct for me. I don't blame people for fighting against political correctness but it can be done with more finesse. It reminds me of the term african american. Seven syllables when a single syllable will do. I use black. I don't view it as a perjorative term, just a descriptive one. If someone else views it as a pejorative term then that is their problem.

That might be true. But I remember a time when it was pejorative for straight people to use the word queer and now it isn't, when used appropriately. Hell, they even have college courses called "Queer Studies".

I've never understood how people who scream racism and homophobia with every breath also use such phrases/words as words of endearment when kibitzing with each other.

Elementary my dear Watson, they are known as LIBERALS and can easily be identified by thier double standards and overly sensitive feelers..

These are people fighting against political correctness. Personally I use the term gay. I would never fall into the LGBT thing. It is far too politically correct for me. I don't blame people for fighting against political correctness but it can be done with more finesse. It reminds me of the term african american. Seven syllables when a single syllable will do. I use black. I don't view it as a perjorative term, just a descriptive one. If someone else views it as a pejorative term then that is their problem.

The problem with "gay" is that it isn't only gay people in that community. Thus the string of letters, and the alternative term "queer," which includes everything. If it was just gay people, they'd just use "gay." It isn't a matter of political correctness; "gay" just doesn't fully cover the population.

Elementary my dear Watson, they are known as LIBERALS and can easily be identified by thier double standards and overly sensitive feelers..

Uh, Maggie isn't a liberal.

She just has an older connotation of the word "queer," from a time when it was far more offensive than it is now.

Do you assume someone is liberal when they get offended by people using the N-word? I thought that was just human decency. Don't conservatives have that?

Pardon me, let's if I can translate.

You people are just too pc. A queer is a queer. You do not like the term so I should not use the term. You people are just what is wrong with the left. To much feelings, "I do not like that word and because i am a queer i should be able to ban that word because it hurts my feelings." You people are what you are.

Seems like I remember a sign that read, "I am queer and I am here." I guess that guy was not pc enough for you whiners either.

Run Don(ald Trump) run.
You missed that second too.

...It has been rejected by some people in the more "old guard" segments of the community, who don't think gender identities or non-binary sexualities should be included in the community at all (yes, there are such people).

Personally, since the acronym is always changing, I have always used "queer community." I have never had someone take offence to it, because intent is everything with that word, and I personally wish to align myself with being supportive of the entire spectrum, not just the binary non-straight sexualities and nothing else.
Most the "old guard" [are you using that term in a truly respectful manner? one could easily wonder. ] are not particularly interested at all in what adults legally do among and to themselves in their own privacy. So being excluded is not really the problem, its when the minority aspect of the "community" feels they have the right to call the shots, that the rest all have to change to accommodate what they think, how they feel things need be.

Queer marks something as different, as not the norm. What if you are someone who is not supportive of such strangeness becoming normalized, but being solely tolerant? Using queer then ok, or still a slur?

The problem with "gay" is that it isn't only gay people in that community. Thus the string of letters, and the alternative term "queer," which includes everything. If it was just gay people, they'd just use "gay." It isn't a matter of political correctness; "gay" just doesn't fully cover the population.

Then why is there the need to lump them into one community?

Uh, Maggie isn't a liberal.

She just has an older connotation of the word "queer," from a time when it was far more offensive than it is now.

Do you assume someone is liberal when they get offended by people using the N-word? I thought that was just human decency. Don't conservatives have that?

Too liberal for my taste.. I assume someone is a liberal, potentially closeted, when they start complaining about being offended..

If you are offended it is your own fault..
If something burns your ass it is your own responsibility to figure out why your ass is flammable and correct it within yourself..

Most the "old guard" [are you using that term in a truly respectful manner? one could easily wonder. ] are not particularly interested at all in what adults legally do among and to themselves in their own privacy. So being excluded is not really the problem, its when the minority aspect of the "community" feels they have the right to call the shots, that the rest all have to change to accommodate what they think, how they feel things need be.

Queer marks something as different, as not the norm. What if you are someone who is not supportive of such strangeness becoming normalized, but being solely tolerant? Using queer then ok, or still a slur?

Do I respect the exclusionary old guard? No, I don't. I never claimed to. :shrug:

What I was refering to is a segment of gays specifically, who do not believe non-binary queer sexualities should be included in the community, and some also believe non-normative genders shouldn't be included.

I think they should, since the community is for support and addressing discrimination, and people in those groups also experience discrimination.

Like many words, "queer" is contextual. Yelling, "****ing queer!" out the window of your truck is still offensive (yes, I have seen people do that).

If by "tolerate" you mean "leave them alone and stop fighting against them having the exact same rights you do," then sure.

No one is asking YOU to change anything. They are merely asking you to stop trying to deny them the rights you have.

Im just wondering what a straight white person from a liberal area could offer up as perspective for the negative terms of homosexuals and minorities. Im not saying I have any perspective but at least I know I dont have the perspective.

Well, I guess we just have a failure to communicate. I find the word offensive. I would never call someone queer. In my circle of friends and family that would be an insult. Depending on the tone someone used to address someone that way, if in my presence, I would most likely speak up. So I have to wonder what happened to change that general perception. And wonder if that's a good thing? Or not.

Do I respect the exclusionary old guard? No, I don't. I never claimed to. :shrug:

Then why would you expect them to care what you think or respect you if you so blatantly don't respect them? Quite hypocritical..

That's pretty liberal of ya..

Then why would you expect them to care what you think or respect you if you so blatantly don't respect them? Quite hypocritical..

Because they engage in the same hateful discrimination that anti-gay people do. What about that is worthy of respect?

Such people aren't worth arguing with. They do what they do out of irrational malice, and that can't be reasoned with. Rather, exposing what they do to a wider audience tends to gather more people to your cause.

That is why "old guard" gays lost the fight to exclude others, and that is why anti-gay people also lost the right to exclude gays. We don't need to convince them. We just need to show everyone else what they're like.

Too liberal for my taste.. I assume someone is a liberal, potentially closeted, when they start complaining about being offended..

If you are offended it is your own fault..
If something burns your ass it is your own responsibility to figure out why your ass is flammable and correct it within yourself..

I'm not sure I said I was offended. If I did, it's more that I find it an offensive word. Rude. In poor taste. You sure go off in all directions here. Potentially closeted. Really? Do you think people who are offended by the word nigger, as I am, are also closeted BLACKS?

What an interesting perspective.

And as for being liberal, you couldn't be any more wrong in your assumption.

It is strange for sure, but as mentioned, it depends on how the term is used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer
If a homosexual person uses it to identify other homosexuals, perhaps it isn't used in a derogatory way. Same if blacks use the term nigger. (whoops, thought it would be automatically censored)
I don't know. Just a thought.
Who can say it? Under which circumstances can one say it? See? Free speech really doesn't exist... Free thought doesn't exist with hate crimes laws.

Back
Top Bottom