• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Queen's China gaffe not the first Royal slip of the tongue

Is the Queen's slip of the tongue a big deal?

• Total voters
I find it rather refreshing, honest and quite amusing.
What do you think?
Queen'''s China gaffe not the first Royal slip of the tongue - ITV News

I'm not sure it should even be considered a gaffe. I have no doubt that she felt they were rude. The royal family has a habit of expecting they be treated as royalty and not as a common elected head of state like a lowly president, chancellor, or prime minister - in all seriousness, international relations protocol dictates that royalty be treated differently, and if the Chinese officials made mistakes regarding that protocol, which is entirely possible and understandable, then I am sure the Queen would perceive that as rude, which is also understandable. She is the Queen after all.

What do you think?

LMAO! Great story and I hadn't heard it. I love Liz. I think she's a little spitfire.

This made me wet my pants:

In 2002, during a visit (by Prince Phillip) to the Aboriginal Cultural Park in Queensland, Australia, the Prince also caused a stir when he asked Aboriginal leader William Brin if "you still throw spears at one another?".

I'm not sure it should even be considered a gaffe. I have no doubt that she felt they were rude. The royal family has a habit of expecting they be treated as royalty and not as a common elected head of state like a lowly president, chancellor, or prime minister - in all seriousness, international relations protocol dictates that royalty be treated differently, and if the Chinese officials made mistakes regarding that protocol, which is entirely possible and understandable, then I am sure the Queen would perceive that as rude, which is also understandable. She is the Queen after all.

I thought the Queen was commenting on the way her ambassador was treated.

LMAO! Great story and I hadn't heard it. I love Liz. I think she's a little spitfire.

In 2002, during a visit (by Prince Phillip) to the Aboriginal Cultural Park in Queensland, Australia, the Prince also caused a stir when he asked Aboriginal leader William Brin if "you still throw spears at one another?".

Thus far, the votes are in her favor.
I remember the Queen having our anthem played right after 9/11. The first to make a positive gesture, I think.
Palace breaks with tradition in musical tribute - Telegraph

When I was in college many years ago I went to visit a friend who lived in New York. He invited me to a party. One young fellow began chatting with me and asked "Where is home?" I said, "Oregon." His response was "Way out west, huh? I've never been west of Philadelphia. Are there indian reservations in Oregon?" I said "yes, the Warm Springs reservation is pretty large. They have shot several western movies there." All he could say was "Good God."

It happens in America as well.

I always liked her. I was angry about how she was treated after the Diana thing. I found it to be disrespectful. JMO.

That's another awesome story that I didn't know.

The death of Princess Diana was one of the few events that the Queen has mishandled...but she recognized that she had misjudged, pivoted, and addressed the nation on the terrible loss.

The death of Princess Diana was one of the few events that the Queen has mishandled...but she recognized that she had misjudged, pivoted, and addressed the nation on the terrible loss.

I think you may be a bigger fan of Diana than I was.;)

With all the changes over the years, and a new generation coming of age, she certainly has mellowed. I imagine it being rather difficult to being groomed in a certain way, and having to keep up with the times.

I only found out about who Princess Diana was because of all of the crazy conspiracy theories about her death that I used to listen to.

Last edited:
With all the changes over the years, and a new generation coming of age, she certainly has mellowed. I imagine it being rather difficult to being groomed in a certain way, and having to keep up with the times.

Her life has been such an interesting one. She wasn't born the heir presumptive, and when her uncle abdicated, her world turned upside down. Then her father died much younger than he should have, and she was about 26 years old (and the mother of 2 very young children) when she ascended to the throne. She saw World War II and its terrible impact on her country. She lived through many other tragedies, lost her sister young, had to tolerate the malfeasants of some really dopey children, and run a very large empire. I just love her.

I'm a great admirer of the Queen. Lifelong she has been devoted to her duty. She has so, so rarely blundered, but when Diana died, she failed to recognize the national "temperature." What matters is that she recognized the mistake and turned it around.

What do you think?

In 1986 when the Royal family attended Expo 86 in Vancouver, I was [by mistake] in a group "received" by HRH Prince Charles and Dianna. I say by mistake as the invite was for the local working press, my employers feared what I might do, having earned a reputation for going for jugulars. They had planned to send the managing editor, but he was a prick so I kept the pass. Dianna was a bore, her handshake like a dead fish. Charles had a great handshake, which is good since its 30 % of his gig.

He caught me surprise by asking what recreational activities one would have in this region. Verbosely I talked about scuba diving and sailing, and then in keeping with my reputation invited him sailing the coming week end, I even had a Royal Naval ensign to fly. He declined with a lot of class "I dare say the last person you should want sailing with you is a former Royal Naval Officer.

In the end, the exchange was "too long to be appropriate" by the Royal handlers. I said take it up with Chuck, we're buds."

And one last part. The toast was "Up Chuck and Di"

In 1986 when the Royal family attended Expo 86 in Vancouver, I was [by mistake] in a group "received" by HRH Prince Charles and Dianna. I say by mistake as the invite was for the local working press, my employers feared what I might do, having earned a reputation for going for jugulars. They had planned to send the managing editor, but he was a prick so I kept the pass. Dianna was a bore, her handshake like a dead fish. Charles had a great handshake, which is good since its 30 % of his gig.

He caught me surprise by asking what recreational activities one would have in this region. Verbosely I talked about scuba diving and sailing, and then in keeping with my reputation invited him sailing the coming week end, I even had a Royal Naval ensign to fly. He declined with a lot of class "I dare say the last person you should want sailing with you is a former Royal Naval Officer.

In the end, the exchange was "too long to be appropriate" by the Royal handlers. I said take it up with Chuck, we're buds."

That's a great story.:thumbs: The end really made me laugh.

I met Chuck and the boys in Davos, probably 10 years or so ago. I didn't know the protocol - like curtsy or handshake or whatever? In the end, Chucky grabbed my hand (ski glove and all) and shook it.

My fave gossip columnist calls Prince Harry "PHG" (Prince Hot Ginge).

That's a great story.:thumbs: The end really made me laugh.

I met Chuck and the boys in Davos, probably 10 years or so ago. I didn't know the protocol - like curtsy or handshake or whatever? In the end, Chucky grabbed my hand (ski glove and all) and shook it.

If you are covering Royalty, even then you had to clear a background check. And they go deep, I heard from a high school buddy.

You must attend a "press coverage intake" where the rules are laid out as absolutes. 1. Never speak to a Royal unless spoken to. 2. Never stand within 12 ft of HRH, do not speak when she is speaking. It's a two hour long affair, where they accredit you for individual events. So a guy like me covering almost everything would be wearing 15 badges around his neck.
At the end of that briefing I asked "since no mention is made of the use of recreation drugs, are we to assume....far as I got.

they really hate me.

You poor (obviously very young) thing. You're making feel SOOOO old.
I was born like 2 years after her death, anyways. But I did know who the **** she was till I was like 12. That's when I got into my "conspiracy phase".

Last edited:
Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, London, England on September 12th, 2001, with thousands of US Citizens crying outside the gates, then bursting into applause and cheers.

Thanks. I may have grabbed to wrong article.

Back
Top Bottom