• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Quantum entanglement between an optical photon and a solid-state spin qubit

Agent Ferris

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Past the edge of the universe, through the singula
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Quantum entanglement between an optical photon and a solid-state spin qubit

E. Togan1,8, Y. Chu1,8, A. S. Trifonov1, L. Jiang1,2,3, J. Maze1, L. Childress1,4, M. V. G. Dutt1,5, A. S. Sørensen6, P. R. Hemmer7, A. S. Zibrov1 & M. D. Lukin1

1. Department of Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
  2. Department of Physics, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
  3. Institute for Quantum Information, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
  4. Department of Physics and Astronomy, Bates College, Lewiston, Maine 04240, USA
  5. Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
  6. QUANTOP, The Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, DK2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
  7. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
  8. These authors contributed equally to this work.
Correspondence to: M. D. Lukin1 Email: lukin@fas.harvard.edu

• javascript:;
Journal name:NatureVolume:466,Pages:730–734Date published:(05 August 2010)DOI:doi:10.1038/nature09256 Received08 February 2010Accepted08 June 2010Quantum entanglement is among the most fascinating aspects of quantum theory1. Entangled optical photons are now widely used for fundamental tests of quantum mechanics2 and applications such as quantum cryptography1. Several recent experiments demonstrated entanglement of optical photons with trapped ions3, atoms4, 5 and atomic ensembles6, 7, 8, which are then used to connect remote long-term memory nodes in distributed quantum networks9, 10, 11. Here we realize quantum entanglement between the polarization of a single optical photon and a solid-state qubit associated with the single electronic spin of a nitrogen vacancy centre in diamond. Our experimental entanglement verification uses the quantum eraser technique5, 12, and demonstrates that a high degree of control over interactions between a solid-state qubit and the quantum light field can be achieved. The reported entanglement source can be used in studies of fundamental quantum phenomena and provides a key building block for the solid-state realization of quantum optical networks13, 14.

Quantum entanglement between an optical photon and a solid-state spin qubit : Nature : Nature Publishing Group

Simply amazing.

What quantum entanglement is, is basically the proven concept that the change in the state of one object can have an effect on another object without any known direct energy transfer between the two objects whatsoever, (at least at the quantum level). Because particles must obey the laws of conservation for example two particles are created in a two state spin where one particle must spin up and one must spin down. What is really interesting is that distance between the two oarticles does not matter, they could be at completely opposite ends of the universe and let's say you were able to change the spin of a given particle A which was entangled with a twin particle B at the other end of the universe particle B would simultaneously change spin as well. This dislocated changing of state has been observed in the lab starting in the early 80's and in 2008 it was determined through the use of lasers that this entanglement has a minimum lower bound of 10,000 times the speed of light. But these experiments only involve uncontrollable observations not the changing of state themselves thus information can not be transferred using this method at this time, but if we found a way to change the state of particle A which was entangled with particle B then faster than light speed communication could be possible. This is, also, indirect evidence for multiple dimensions because what ever it is causing this interaction must be occurring outside of known space time.

Of interesting note, this is a clear violation of the Copenhagen interpretation which says that the state of a given particle is only determined when that particle is measured (Shrodinger's Cat) but with entangled particles we know the state of particle B whether we measure it or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Last edited:
It's freaking crazy, and since this interaction occurs faster than the speed of light it leaves open the possiblity of retrocausality meaning it would be theoretically possible to send information to the past.

That's way ****ed up but still incredibly cool.

I think it has serious potential to allow us to colonize outside our solar system and possibly outside our galaxy.
Geesh, I want to live in a future where we can do that.

Journal name:NatureVolume:466,Pages:730–734Date published05 August 2010)DOI:doi:10.1038/nature09256 Received08 February 2010Accepted08 June 2010Quantum entanglement is among the most fascinating aspects of quantum theory1. Entangled optical photons are now widely used for fundamental tests of quantum mechanics2 and applications such as quantum cryptography1. Several recent experiments demonstrated entanglement of optical photons with trapped ions3, atoms4, 5 and atomic ensembles6, 7, 8, which are then used to connect remote long-term memory nodes in distributed quantum networks9, 10, 11. Here we realize quantum entanglement between the polarization of a single optical photon and a solid-state qubit associated with the single electronic spin of a nitrogen vacancy centre in diamond. Our experimental entanglement verification uses the quantum eraser technique5, 12, and demonstrates that a high degree of control over interactions between a solid-state qubit and the quantum light field can be achieved. The reported entanglement source can be used in studies of fundamental quantum phenomena and provides a key building block for the solid-state realization of quantum optical networks13, 14.

ScannersExplodingHead-1.gif

Assuming this can pass peer review, DARPA will hopefully pony up some serious research bucks. 100% secure FTL communication has incredibly military applications, but could revolutionize 100 other fields as well.

It's freaking crazy, and since this interaction occurs faster than the speed of light it leaves open the possiblity of retrocausality meaning it would be theoretically possible to send information to the past.

Do me a favor and tell FDR to kiss me ass. :lamo

This is clear evidence of the existence of God.

Absolutely fascinating. I'd read about quantum entanglement years ago and the implications of it; but this is the first I've heard of actual evidence that it exists.

This could be huge.

Absolutely fascinating. I'd read about quantum entanglement years ago and the implications of it; but this is the first I've heard of actual evidence that it exists.

This could be huge.

Oh it was observed in the lab since the early 1980's. We have measured it, when the state of particle A changes the particle twin with which it is entangled changes as well, it's been observed and using lasers it has been determined that the change is instantaneous with a minimum lower bound of 10,000 times the speed of light that was measured in 2008.

Now we can not actually change the state of particle A ourselves thus no information can be transferred using this technique we can only observe what is occurring but it is occurring and if we could find a way to change the state of particle A faster than light speed communication could be possible.

Last edited:

Why haven't we received any information from the future then?

but if we found a way to change the state of particle A which was entangled with particle B then faster than light speed communication could be possible. This is, also, indirect evidence for multiple dimensions because what ever it is causing this interaction must be occurring outside of known space time.

Of interesting note, this is a clear violation of the Copenhagen interpretation which says that the state of a given particle is only determined when that particle is measured (Shrodinger's Cat) but with entangled particles we know the state of particle B whether we measure it or not.

Quantum entanglement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ohhhh emmmm geeee!!!!! if we prove this theory and find a way to reverse the spin, i can only imagine how fast it would really take to travel to mars.. and i say mars because we've always fantasized about it.

ohhhh emmmm geeee!!!!! if we prove this theory and find a way to reverse the spin, i can only imagine how fast it would really take to travel to mars.. and i say mars because we've always fantasized about it.

Quantum entanglement has been directly observed. Scientific theories can't be "proven".

Last edited:
now now, theories can be proven.... i just cant think of one right now, but i know theories have been proven before.

now now, theories can be proven.... i just cant think of one right now, but i know theories have been proven before.

Only mathematical theorems can be proven, theories are simply a hypothesis determined likely to be true with a high degree of probability but all scientific hypotheses must leave an element of falsifiability.

Only the most trivial of axiomatic systems can be "proven," such as, 1+1 = 2.

I've believed for a long time that this scientific theory can explain out of body experiences, and provide some insight into what a soul is.

I've believed for a long time that this scientific theory can explain out of body experiences, and provide some insight into what a soul is.

How do you figure that? Are you asserting that every human being is entangled with a twin human being and that this twin is in fact the soul?

How do you figure that? Are you asserting that every human being is entangled with a twin human being and that this twin is in fact the soul?

No... that one's consciousness, although linked to the body, can function separately from the body. A lot of near death experiences have vivid recall of events that they had no possible way of knowing, and witnessed themselves floating around the room or above the building. To simplify the argument, let's just call this consciousness the "soul" (even though this is abstract). It would mean that the soul can interface with an organic body without being in physical contact with it.

No... that one's consciousness, although linked to the body, can function separately from the body. A lot of near death experiences have vivid recall of events that they had no possible way of knowing, and witnessed themselves floating around the room or above the building. To simplify the argument, let's just call this consciousness the "soul" (even though this is abstract). It would mean that the soul can interface with an organic body without being in physical contact with it.

But quantum entanglement only deals with the quantum level IE elementary particles and twin elementary particles obeying the laws of conservation at that.

But quantum entanglement only deals with the quantum level IE elementary particles and twin elementary particles obeying the laws of conservation at that.

That doesn't really matter much to me. I'm just putting forward an unprovable theory.

Back
Top Bottom