• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Qatar 'sin tax' suddenly doubles the cost of alcohol

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/qatar-sin-tax-suddenly-doubles-cost-alcohol-n953731

"Specific goods that the State of Qatar deems harmful to human health and the environment" have been hit with the levy.

Qatar welcomed the new year by implementing a 100 percent tax on alcohol, doubling prices overnight and sending the cost of a 12-pack of beer jumping to $78.

The increase has been branded a “sin tax” by some residents of the wealthy Gulf state as it targets products widely prohibited under Islamic law.
============================================
Fourteen ounces of bacon now costs $15. Energy drinks (caffeine), tobacco products are also included in the new tariff. But the rich Qataris will not even notice the price increases.

I doubt these tariffs will affect the huge U.S. presence in the country as the Government utilizes its own supply channels to keep the troops provisioned.

I was under the impression that the Quran discourages alcohol?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/qatar-sin-tax-suddenly-doubles-cost-alcohol-n953731

"Specific goods that the State of Qatar deems harmful to human health and the environment" have been hit with the levy.

That will be an expensive beer in the World Cup Stadium.

Qatar welcomed the new year by implementing a 100 percent tax on alcohol, doubling prices overnight and sending the cost of a 12-pack of beer jumping to $78.

The increase has been branded a “sin tax” by some residents of the wealthy Gulf state as it targets products widely prohibited under Islamic law.
Fourteen ounces of bacon now costs $15. Energy drinks (caffeine), tobacco products are also included in the new tariff. But the rich Qataris will not even notice the price increases.

I doubt these tariffs will affect the huge U.S. presence in the country as the Government utilizes its own supply channels to keep the troops provisioned.[/QUOT

They can serve the beer on top of the dead foreign workers abused to build it.

I doubt these tariffs will affect the huge U.S. presence in the country as the Government utilizes its own supply channels to keep the troops provisioned.

It is illegal in Qatar for Muslims to consume alcohol. If a Muslim is caught consuming alcohol they can be flogged. Non-Muslims aren’t banned. It is still pretty damn hard to get alcohol there. I think there is only one store you can buy it.

It is illegal in Qatar for Muslims to consume alcohol. If a Muslim is caught consuming alcohol they can be flogged. It is still pretty damn hard to get alcohol there. I think there is only one store you can buy it.

That is one more store than what we have in Saudi !

That is one more store than what we have in Saudi !

Yep. Same when I was stationed in Libya. That was when and why I learned to brew beer. :)

Yep. Same when I was stationed in Libya. That was when and why I learned to brew beer. :)

I am not much of a drinker, but having the option would be refreshing. Hell, its easier to get hash here than a beer !!

And tobacco & caffeine as well, I believe. But the Qataris are more liberal than the Saudis, for example.

I was in Saudi supermarket yesterday, sells lots of imported goods. Came across bottles of Budweiser. Out of curiosity I picked it up and the label read NA lol Budweiser tastes like gnats piss at the best of times, why would anyone drink it without the alcohol is beyond me.

And tobacco & caffeine as well, I believe. But the Qataris are more liberal than the Saudis, for example.

Ah I live in Saudi, these folks go nuts for caffeine and smokes, its all they got !!

Back
Top Bottom