• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putting Time In Perspective

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
wait but why: Putting Time In Perspective

It uses graphs to show the differences in lengths of time, which results in some interesting realizations. As the guy notes, the oldest person still alive was born closer to Lincoln's assassination than today, which seems odd for some reason.

Not really that odd. It hasn't been that long ago in the grand scheme of things that some long-lived people who were born into slavery during the Civil War died, so there are member at DP old enough to have lived at the same time as former slaves.

It uses graphs to show the differences in lengths of time, which results in some interesting realizations. As the guy notes, the oldest person still alive was born closer to Lincoln's assassination than today, which seems odd for some reason.

It's pretty amazing to see all of human history in just a tiny sliver less than a millimeter. And then looking at the couple of inches between now and when the sun kills us, and realizing how much time we have left until then, although we'll have to figure out ways around the other things he mentioned as well as other problems. Looking back at how far we've come in the last 3,500 years it difficult to even comprehend how far we could go in another 1,000 or a 1,000,000 times that.

Not really that odd. It hasn't been that long ago in the grand scheme of things that some long-lived people who were born into slavery during the Civil War died, so there are member at DP old enough to have lived at the same time as former slaves.

It is not odd in a real sense, it just seems odd. When I think of the Civil War, I feels like it almost ancient history, guys on horeseback fighting over slavery, nothing at all like the modern world, more like the middle ages.

It is not odd in a real sense, it just seems odd. When I think of the Civil War, I feels like it almost ancient history, guys on horeseback fighting over slavery, nothing at all like the modern world, more like the middle ages.

Yeah, but I grew up in the South and have been dragged to many a country store where old men gathered around chewing the fat. Trust me when I say that I have known people who know exactly what their family was doing in the Civil War. "My grandpa said his <dad/grandpa> said X about fighting in THE War".

That's great! I love the commentary.

My Father was 16 years old in 1929 and that seems like a long time ago. OTOH, I was 16 in 1959 and it seems time has passed rather quickly and my near-dead status was achieved in just moments.

Still, I hope they keep working on FTL because it would be a shame to have all this burn up.

How young are you Redress ? I was 9 years old when the last Civil War vet died.

But it takes some getting use to hearing young adults today referring to that their grandfather fought during WW ll.

Or when I shake my head when I ask my 20 year old nephew why are you watching the knitting and embroidering channel when there's a NFL game on ? He says he can't find the remote.

The earth is 4.5 billion years old....... That is a lot of years...

Think of that in terms of money - humans are only 100,000 years old...... Jesus lived 3,000 years ago...

The technology between 1968 and 2013 - crazy.... Hell, 1900-2013....

According to movies tho we should have flying cars. :lol:

Flying cars are just a bad idea. Hovering cars though, that works.

It always seemed surreal to me when I talked with people who remembered time before the Wright Brother's first flight. A world without flight is unreal to me, but it was very real in their experiences.

This was many years ago, of course.

These people got to watch the evolution from simple manned flight to the moon landing. That is something to experience in a single lifetime, right there.

In many parts of the world, they still do. :shrug:

The more things change, the more they ultimately remain the same.

At the heart of things, we're still the same old insane hairless apes we ever were. We simply happen to have fancier toys to play around with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom