• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin's nukes

What should we do in the face of Putin's threats to use nukes?

• Total voters
I am rather surprised so few see Russia using nukes as a very real possibility.

You really think he will simply put his tail between his legs and take his troops home?

Not happening folks. Simply not happening.
What do you think will happen if putin pops off a nuke? Do you think the u.s. and the world will not respond?

What do you think will happen if putin pops off a nuke? Do you think the u.s. and the world will not respond?

Of course their will be a response, hello!
The conversation revolves around how.

Lots of tough guy cowboy posts here, I am suggesting a reasoned tempered debate.

Of course their will be a response, hello!
The conversation revolves around how.

Lots of tough guy cowboy posts here, I am suggesting a reasoned tempered debate.
If Putin gets anything he wants - any one thing at all - he and his successor(s) will go after Moldova, or Georgia. Or maybe even take that bit of Finland the other side of Ladoga that Russia insists belongs 'in' Karelia.

I am weak thinking an eye for an eye makes the world blind

I am weak believing war isn't strength

I am weak knowing humanity can be better

I stand by three facts. You can call me weak, I don't care

I am weak thinking an eye for an eye makes the world blind

I am weak believing war isn't strength

I am weak knowing humanity can be better

I stand by three facts. You can call me weak, I don't care
Weak? No. Just not timely.

Why does anyone assume Russian nukes would be any more effective than the rest of the Russian military? They're liable to nuke themselves.

You should take nukes more seriously.

Why does anyone assume Russian nukes would be any more effective than the rest of the Russian military? They're liable to nuke themselves.
Besides, anyone who supports their own country maintaining a nuclear arsenal has no business complaining about Putin threatening to use his. Unless they think it makes sense to have a weapon and declare that nobody else is allowed to use one.

You left out the important part. Yes, his first statement is very ______. But his second statement is very important.

Russia apparently has four scenarios where they might use nuclear weapons. The last one is a little concerning.

I suspect Putin has a wildly different view of what constitutes the existence of the state being in jeopardy than the average person does.

Nuclear weapons ensure a regime's survival. That's the thinking behind Kim Jong Un's desire to have a large nuclear arsenal. That's why China developed atomic weapons in the 1960s. That's why the Ayatollah wants them now.

Putin's regime is under stress, in no small part because an alliance has helped thwart his ambitions in Ukraine. If it is true that nuclear weapons are the insurance policy for a regime, then the looming death of the regime increases the actuarial odds that the insurance policy is going to get cashed in -- and that's not a good thing.

I dont think so. Nukes are a literal joke, a weapon that everyone who has it is afraid to use it. What could be more ridiculous.
Pakistan has nukes, if that puts the weapon in perspective.

I dont think so. Nukes are a literal joke, a weapon that everyone who has it is afraid to use it. What could be more ridiculous.

That's a very odd opinion.

The upside is that everyone is afraid to use it. What you forget is everyone is also afraid of getting nuked. And the latter part is why nukes ought to be taken seriously. If one party, for whatever reason, false intelligence, hoax, is convinced it stands to be nuked within minutes, it will unleash its nukes. Unless someone is can guarantee that there exists no scenario in which the Russians can believe they are about to be nuked, then I will also become nonchalant about nukes

If Putin gets anything he wants - any one thing at all - he and his successor(s) will go after Moldova, or Georgia. Or maybe even take that bit of Finland the other side of Ladoga that Russia insists belongs 'in' Karelia.
Moldova and Georgia, possibly. FINLAND, NO.

You are quite casual about sacrificing two more peoples @ the shrine of Lord Vladimir.
You are quite casual about sacrificing the world.

Guess what, life is not fair.
Guess what else, we can't protect the world.

You need to replace your well intended emotion with contemplative deliberation.
Peace

You are quite casual about sacrificing the world.

Guess what, life is not fair.
Guess what else, we can't protect the world.

You need to replace your well intended emotion with contemplative deliberation.
Peace
This is...something. Smug? Self-satisfied? Imperious righteous claptrap?

Wait, I have it: cowardice.

Nuclear weapons ensure a regime's survival. That's the thinking behind Kim Jong Un's desire to have a large nuclear arsenal. That's why China developed atomic weapons in the 1960s. That's why the Ayatollah wants them now.

Putin's regime is under

Yes, little Kim taught the world that through a series of balless presidents starting with Clinton.

That's a very odd opinion.
Did the Pakistani nukes prevent the US from mounting a military operation to get to Osama bin Ladin? No. Nukes are a prime example of a useless weapon, one you're afraid to use. The US will not use nukes anywhere in the world and neither will Russia. Or France or Britain or India or any other nuclear power.

Did the Pakistani nukes prevent the US from mounting a military operation to get to Osama bin Ladin? No. Nukes are a prime example of a useless weapon, one you're afraid to use. The US will not use nukes anywhere in the world and neither will Russia. Or France or Britain or India or any other nuclear power.

Silly conjecture.

One reasonable person is found!
Much too late for that.
Do you disagree with the US getting involved when Hitler was bombing the UK too ?
Same thing.

You're predicting the future.

Back
Top Bottom