• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin warns Russia could come to Syria's aid if US attacks

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As he touched down in St. Petersburg on Thursday morning, President Obama greeted his host Vladimir Putin with a handshake and a smile.
But the cordial greeting belies the tinderbox the two leaders are sitting on, as they posture and deliberate over a potential U.S. strike on Syria -- one of Russia's closest Mideast allies.
Putin escalated concerns about the fallout from any strike when he indicated in an interview published Wednesday that his country could send Syria and its neighbors in the region the components of a missile shield if the U.S. attacks.
U.S. Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testified this week that the Russians might even replace any military assets the U.S. destroys in a strike.
The warnings raise the possibility of a supposedly "limited" strike on Syria turning into a proxy tit-for-tat between Russia and the U.S.
Rep. George Holding, R-N.C., went further during a hearing on Syria on Wednesday, pressing military officials on what the U.S. would do "if Russia decided to strike at us in that theater."

But the warmongers say bring it on, Putin is bluffing. What rational mind wants to run THAT risk to attack a country that hasn't attacked us? Emphasis on rational.

Read more: Putin warns Russia could come to Syria's aid over US strike | Fox News

Last edited:
Putin is 5'7, that's practically a midget. Who's scared of him except the population of Russia?

Yes, of course he meant that he was coming? Roosevelt was in a wheelchair! What grade did you say you are in? Btw Eco, you missed my disclaimer, rushing to your keypad before you read the entire op.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be bragging about that.

Putin is 5'7, that's practically a midget. Who's scared of him except the population of Russia?

Holy ****, seriously?

wow, what a little punk.

Holy ****, seriously?

wow, what a little punk.
He could look like an extra from the original Wizard of Oz and it hardly matters when he flicks his wrist and sends your ass off to a Siberian work camp.

He could look like an extra from the original Wizard of Oz and it hardly matters when he flicks his wrist and sends your ass off to a Siberian work camp.

Like I would visit Russia.

I try not to go to ****holes, mind you.

I'm not a gay chick. I think I'm pretty safe, even as a Russian citizen.

I'm an agricultural ecologist. See: username and signature.
Always good to have a plant guy around. Just remember, Monsanto can write one hell of a tight contract so once you sign it, that is the end of that.

If I were a Syrian? I would be scared of Putin. Without him Assad would have been gone many months ago and all those dead now and in future would be and stay alive. Yep! As a Syrian I would think him frightening.

As he touched down in St. Petersburg on Thursday morning, President Obama greeted his host Vladimir Putin with a handshake and a smile.
But the cordial greeting belies the tinderbox the two leaders are sitting on, as they posture and deliberate over a potential U.S. strike on Syria -- one of Russia's closest Mideast allies.
Putin escalated concerns about the fallout from any strike when he indicated in an interview published Wednesday that his country could send Syria and its neighbors in the region the components of a missile shield if the U.S. attacks.
U.S. Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testified this week that the Russians might even replace any military assets the U.S. destroys in a strike.
The warnings raise the possibility of a supposedly "limited" strike on Syria turning into a proxy tit-for-tat between Russia and the U.S.
Rep. George Holding, R-N.C., went further during a hearing on Syria on Wednesday, pressing military officials on what the U.S. would do "if Russia decided to strike at us in that theater."

But the warmongers say bring it on, Putin is bluffing. What rational mind wants to run THAT risk to attack a country that hasn't attacked us? Emphasis on rational.

Read more: Putin warns Russia could come to Syria's aid over US strike | Fox News

Unfortunately, Obama is no Bush (that's not me showing support for Bush), and in the doctrine of International Relations it often comes down to 'power politics'. To put it bluntly, Obama just does not have that 'don't fuc.k with me persona' that American's, moreover the world, have become accustomed too. To that end, I feel Putin has become emboldened to such an extent that he will push the boundaries to the max. Putin probably will re-supply the Syrian regime, would you be surprised?

Paul

If I were a Syrian? I would be scared of Putin. Without him Assad would have been gone many months ago and all those dead now and in future would be and stay alive. Yep! As a Syrian I would think him frightening.

Considering Russian history in squashing Muslim countries from Ottoman Empire to Afghanistan, exactly why does this not gets across so well to Syrians and Assad is really beyond me!

The world is aligning with superpowers. Sunni Muslims with the West, Shiite's with Russia. South Korea with the West, North with Russia. South Vietnam with the West, North with Russia, etc. Except that this last one did not remain as such till the end.

Unfortunately, Obama is no Bush (that's not me showing support for Bush), and in the doctrine of International Relations it often comes down to 'power politics'. To put it bluntly, Obama just does not have that 'don't fuc.k with me persona' that American's, moreover the world, have become accustomed too. To that end, I feel Putin has become emboldened to such an extent that he will push the boundaries to the max. Putin probably will re-supply the Syrian regime, would you be surprised?

Paul

No, I won't be surprised, and Putin is going to have the legitimacy of the UN's declaration behind him, so he's not the belligerent actor.

Back
Top Bottom