• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin vs Hussein

donhughesmusic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Just a thought. Is there any difference between Hussein invading Kuwait and Putin invading Russia? I do understand that we don't want to get into a conflict with Russia using boots on the ground, but fundamentally? Is there any difference between the two? If not, why have we not done more for Ukraine? If so, what is the difference?

Nukes.

Do you really not realize this? Seriously?
Again, as I said previously, I understand we don't want to get into a conflict with Russia (do you know how to read), however now we are treating Ukraine like their lives don't mean as much as Kuwait.

Just a thought. Is there any difference between Hussein invading Kuwait and Putin invading Russia? I do understand that we don't want to get into a conflict with Russia using boots on the ground, but fundamentally? Is there any difference between the two? If not, why have we not done more for Ukraine? If so, what is the difference?
In a nutshell, OIL.

Saddam was also threatening KSA.

First, Putin didn't invade Russia - he invaded Ukraine.

Second, we absolutely should never have invaded Iraq - at least not outside of the context of employing the Powell Doctrine. We were lucky that Bush the Elder kept his word, and didn't take over Baghdad and go after Hussein. Unfortunately, his idiot son was not so smart the second time around.

Third, Iraq was not a nuclear power with a permanent seat on the UN Security Council. Part of the pretext for going into Iraq, and assembling the "coalition of the willing" to oust them from Kuwait, was directly related to Iraq's violation of specific UN Resolutions. Those are meaningless against a member who has veto power for any such resolution - which Russia has!

The fact is, we're doing a great deal for Ukraine, at great expense to many Americans, and so far the results are quite promising. Putin is getting rocked from every side, including his own population, which will finally have the veils lifted from their eyes. His popularity is cascading downward by the minute, not just from the global community, not just from the average Russian who stands in line at the ATM, but even from the billionaire oligarchs that were his only friends.

He's in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom