• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin says Russia will enforce rouble payments for gas from Friday

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Just In:

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that he had signed a decree saying foreign buyers must pay in roubles for Russian gas from April 1, and contracts would be halted if these payments were not made.

Other news titles from Eastern European media related to this:

The so-called "unfriendly countries" that buy gas from Russia have to pay in rubles on Friday.

The list is: United States, Canada, European Union member states, the United Kingdom (including the British territories Jersey, Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands, Gibraltar), Ukraine, Montenegro, Switzerland, Albania, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino , Northern Macedonia, as well as Japan, South Korea, Australia, Micronesia, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan

Putin: "Pay in rubles or we turn off the gas"

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...n-gas-must-be-paid-roubles-friday-2022-03-31/

Germany earlier said Putin agreed to keep payments for gas in euros. It is unclear now if this deal will stand. @Rexedgar thanks for the Germany News.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-says-putin-agreed-to-keep-payments-for-gas-in-euros/a-61310461

Difference from yesterday to today:

1.JPG

Last edited:

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz says Western countries will continue paying for Russian gas in euros or dollars despite Kremlin's threat to cut off supplies not paid for in roubles. Same thing as he said yesterday.

I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Other video:

SenorXm/Sirius

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Putin seems to be going out of his way to turn Russia's economy even shittier than it already is...

But then he nor his rich friends are suffering, only the average Russian people are...

Grand Mal

Russian warship, go f*** yourself!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
German Chancellor Olaf Scholz says Western countries will continue paying for Russian gas in euros or dollars despite Kremlin's threat to cut off supplies not paid for in roubles. Same thing as he said yesterday.

I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Other video:

Euros or dollars? I thought oil was always traded in dollars? Saddam Hussein triggered the US invasion by announcing he would accept euros for oil, didn't he?

Last edited:

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
There is one more news report:
*Translated via Google Translate

Germany and France are "preparing" for a possible halt to Russian gas imports, as Moscow demands payment in rubles for April 1 deliveries, which Europeans refuse, the French economy minister said in Berlin on Thursday. Bruno Le Maire, quoted by BFM.

"Tomorrow there may be a situation where, in very special circumstances, there will be no more Russian gas (…) it is up to us to prepare for these scenarios and prepare for them," he said at a news conference with German Economy Minister Robert Habeck.

This is the list made by the FSB:

United States, Canada, European Union member states, the United Kingdom (including the British territories Jersey, Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands, Gibraltar), Ukraine, Montenegro, Switzerland, Albania, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Northern Macedonia, as well as Japan, South Korea, Australia, Micronesia, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan

@Grand Mal

Euros:

This is what the German leader said the agreement was ---> which is uncertain at this time:
..... said the money would be paid into Gazprom Bank, which is not a subject of sanctions and then transferred in rubles to Russia, according to a German statement.

Grand Mal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Just In:

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that he had signed a decree saying foreign buyers must pay in roubles for Russian gas from April 1, and contracts would be halted if these payments were not made.

The so-called "unfriendly countries" that buy gas from Russia have to pay in rubles on Friday.

The list is: United States, Canada, European Union member states, the United Kingdom (including the British territories Jersey, Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands, Gibraltar), Ukraine, Montenegro, Switzerland, Albania, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino , Northern Macedonia, as well as Japan, South Korea, Australia, Micronesia, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...n-gas-must-be-paid-roubles-friday-2022-03-31/

Germany earlier said Putin agreed to keep payments for gas in euros. It is unclear now if this deal will stand. @Rexedgar thanks for the Germany News.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-says-putin-agreed-to-keep-payments-for-gas-in-euros/a-61310461

View attachment 67383177
It won't be hard for Canada to pay roubles for the zero barrels of Russian oil it imports from Russia anyway. Hard to know why Canada is on that list since we haven't imported any Russian crude since 2019 and have banned future imports.

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I think this is why the German finance minister was declaring this today:

Look I am willing to pay the short-term economic consequences of these sanctions if they contribute to some inter elitist change in Russia so they can get the madman out of power.
----> And probably many more could and will -> for solidarity with the Ukrainian people.

The question is?

What are the masses, the populists going to do when the economy will start hitting us hard? Because we all know the extremes are waiting there for a downfall in the economy.

We might have someone in power in the West that will make Trump -> a small play in terms of authoritarianism.

and that will risk NATO and EU.

Integrityrespec

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Just In:

View attachment 67383177
Appeasement doesn't work. WWII and Hitler taught us this ver clearly. The dictators and tyrants want more always. They have to be stopped by the only means they understand, force! The US could make huge steps in alleviating much of the fuel shortage and price hikes by simply opening up the many wells currently not pumping. IN order for that to happen, Biden has to remove the many taxes and fees that he has imposed since becoming President. He also has to get off his campaign to "shut down fossil fuels". It's unreasonable to expect the America fossil fuel industry to spend money to pump more now when they know that as soon as this crisis is over Biden will reimplement all of his restrictions. He's wrong about wind/solar ever being able to replace fossil fuels and his implementation of this policy is ill conceived.
His position appears to be to support more fossil fuel production by countries other than the U.S. even thought they they produce less clean fuels than the U.S.. Tapping into the strategic reserve does nothing on the long term to curb inflation in the fuel industry. Releasing what amounts to a couple of days of fuel usage in the U.S. is not going to lower prices and replacing the Strategic Reserve is a necessity and so far Biden has not plan to replace what is being used. Is he going to buy from abroad? Is he going to continue to impede production in the U.S while at the same time encouraging dirty oil production from foreign countries that we will then purchase?

Grand Mal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I don't believe Canada imports Russian natural gas, so I don't know why we are on that list either
The whole scenario is confusing. Presumably Russia would demand roubles for petro products to prop up the rouble by making European countries buy roubles for euros but why is it different for Germany to convert a billion euros into roubles to buy oil or for Russia to accept the billion euros and then convert them to roubles?

Lord Tammerlain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The whole scenario is confusing. Presumably Russia would demand roubles for petro products to prop up the rouble by making European countries buy roubles for euros but why is it different for Germany to convert a billion euros into roubles to buy oil or for Russia to accept the billion euros and then convert them to roubles?
It is not hard, the US does not want it as it would make it harder to punish and sanction trade done in roubles vs USD

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
This will end well for everyone involved.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I think this is why the German finance minister was declaring this today:

Look I am willing to pay the short-term economic consequences of these sanctions if they contribute to some inter elitist change in Russia so they can get the madman out of power.
----> And probably many more could and will -> for solidarity with the Ukrainian people.

The question is?

What are the masses, the populists going to do when the economy will start hitting us hard? Because we all know the extremes are waiting there for a downfall in the economy.

We might have someone in power in the West that will make Trump -> a small play in terms of authoritarianism.

and that will risk NATO and EU.

This is some great Lord Haw Haw material.

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Putin is on the run. He's not a genius.

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This is some great Lord Haw Haw material.
Did you just equate my statement with a nazi collaborator? :oops:

You're better than this.

Actually, you're not, you just view the world in a binary fashion. When you look at the big picture, is not as easy as your theory says so.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Did you just equate my statement with a nazi collaborator? :oops:

You're better than this.

Actually, you're not, you just view the world in a binary fashion. When you look at the big picture, is not as easy as your theory says so.

I'm far worse than this.

But if you bleat out propaganda for a fascist nation while it's attacking another nation, people will sometimes say mean things about your posts.

Grand Mal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It is not hard, the US does not want it as it would make it harder to punish and sanction trade done in roubles vs USD
But how is Russia benefited by demanding payment in rubles? More specifically, how are the Russian leadership and oligarchs benefited? Seems to me that having an income of euros and dollars would be more of an advantage now than making their customers convert their payments into rubles.
It sounds to me like putting false national pride ahead of pragmatic practicality, not what I would expect from Putin. Is he trying to be popular, for some reason? There's something about this...

Centrist

Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
But if you bleat out propaganda for a fascist nation while it's attacking another nation, people will sometimes say mean things about your posts.
My friend, you have the perfect mind for the McCarthy hearings when they destroyed thousands of lives in their quest of rooting out "communists". Now you just switched the word to ---> to fascists.

Roy Cohn, look him up, he is the ideologue behind Donnie Trump.
*Roy Marcus Cohn (/koʊn/; February 20, 1927 – August 2, 1986) was an American lawyer and prosecutor who came to prominence for his role as Senator Joseph McCarthy's chief counsel during the Army–McCarthy hearings in 1954, when he assisted McCarthy's investigations of suspected communists.

He thinks exactly like you.

I think America is the leader that the world needs, however, I doubt sometimes when I hear such nonsense from members of its population.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
My friend, you would make a perfect soldier for the McCarthy hearings when they destroyed thousand of lives in their quest of rooting out "communists".

Roy Cohn, look him up, he is the ideologue behind Donnie Trump.

He thinks exactly like you.

I think America is the leader that the world needs, however, I doubt sometimes when I hear such nonsense from members of its population.

Since you don't seem to be inclined to keep things about the post instead of the poster, we're done here.

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Don't make accusations based on your perception. You can lose allies in life.

You are still talking to me.

Hang on, all fixed.

Top Bottom