• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin Purges Naval Commanders...All of Them

Does he want disgruntled Navy officers? Because that is how you get disgruntled Navy officers. Has Putin not watched The Hunt for Red October?

I'll vote for him if he will dissolve congress. :lamo

It is definitely a "You're fired" moment. If you don't do what the boss says, you get fired. Makes sense to me.

At some point you do cut off your nose to spite your face though. This might just be such a case.

It's hard to say exactly what is going on here. I do, however, take exception to this...

Vladimir Putin has sacked every single commander in Russia's Baltic fleet in what has been described as a 'Stalin-style' purge.

Stalin like? Sorry, but no. "Stalin like" would mean either a bullet to the back of the head or a one way ticket to Siberia.

It's hard to say exactly what is going on here. I do, however, take exception to this...

Stalin like? Sorry, but no. "Stalin like" would mean either a bullet to the back of the head or a one way ticket to Siberia.

Maybe he'll just put some Polonium in their cheese.

I honestly think Putin will meet his end mafia style from within. He'll piss off one of his own and they won't put up with it.

According to Churchill (I was listening to the audiobook of his history of WWII just yesterday), Stalin purged his army officers because there was - from reliable information from the Czechoslovakian president - a credible threat of a pro-German coup by his army officer corps.

I don't think this is the reason Putin sacked his officers - not because of a threat to his power, but more likely due to the truly crappy condition of the Russian Navy.

Has anyone seen those officers lately?

According to Churchill (I was listening to the audiobook of his history of WWII just yesterday), Stalin purged his army officers because there was - from reliable information from the Czechoslovakian president - a credible threat of a pro-German coup by his army officer corps.

I don't think this is the reason Putin sacked his officers - not because of a threat to his power, but more likely due to the truly crappy condition of the Russian Navy.

The ships are crappy, but that doesn't mean they aren't lethal. A towed barge carrying hypersonic cruise missiles is formidable if you happen to be on the receiving end.

The ships are crappy, but that doesn't mean they aren't lethal. A towed barge carrying hypersonic cruise missiles is formidable if you happen to be on the receiving end.

That is true. But you and I both know that modern naval combat is about far, far more than mere firepower.

Something's going on in that region. Canada just sent a few hundred troops and some fighter jets to Latvia. Part of a NATO exercise.

Yep. Putin is challenging the West.

That is true. But you and I both know that modern naval combat is about far, far more than mere firepower.

I've read that naval warfare is like chess- it's played out on a flat surface between pieces of known strength and maneuverability.

Yep. Putin is challenging the West.

Yeah, something. The Canadian government is pretty closed-mouthed about operations, so I don't look for much information from that source but other NATO will be involved in the region.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...nd-troops-fighter-jets-to-eastern-europe.html

"The Canadians will form the “nucleus” of a battle group in Latvia, Vance said, that with the addition of forces from other allies, is expected to grow to about 1,000 troops. Germany, the United States and Britain are leading similar forces in Lithuania, Poland and Estonia."

It's not going to happen 'till next year, so more information will be forthcoming, no doubt.

Yup. I will never discount the Russian navy, though. Their ships may be decrepit to some extent, but their seamanship isn't. Like some others here, I'm not sure Putin's action here does anything positive for morale, though. We'll see.

Perhaps the western media just wanted to get Stalin's name in there for the propaganda value?

I've read that naval warfare is like chess- it's played out on a flat surface between pieces of known strength and maneuverability.

More like 3D chess, or maybe even 6D chess - on, under, and above the sea...and now in space, too. And in cyberspace and in the frequencies on the airwaves.

Perhaps the western media just wanted to get Stalin's name in there for the propaganda value?
Probably.

The rumor of the moment inside of Russia is that all of these people have been replaced with commanders with recent combat experience in Syria. Obviously I can't confirm that but if true, it does give reason for pause...

You beat me to it...

Perhaps he replaced Commanders that he can not count on to help him start WWIII.

Back
Top Bottom