• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin orders nuclear deterrent forces to be on 'high alert' as tensions build over Ukraine

You are one clueless individual
Oh gee, really! Should I go away now and be embarrassed now at your stupidpendous debate skills?

i say good! As insufferable and spoiled the west is, we could really use a good nuking, and in a nuclear wasteland, the first thing to become meaningless is this sexual identity nonsense, only applicable to ivory towers which will no longer exist post nuke.

What the hell is wrong with you?

This is officially starting to get scary.
Agreed. This is a very volatile situation with a lot at stake.

On one hand, Putin could fall over this. He has really put Russia out there, making them a pariah for a nebulous return (what does Russia really gain by conquering Ukraine?) Even autocrats are enabled by others. At what point to Putin's enablers turn on him?

On the other extreme, Putin takes Ukraine and then sets it eyes on a NATO country such as Estonia, banking on the fact that we really would not go to war over Estonia. That is a really interesting bet. We should because if we do not, well, we have Europe of 1939 all over again. This presents end of the world scenario.

In many respects, Ukraine is right now fighting for all of us. If they can shame Putin, he may be done. In both cases, we are depending on a sane Putin, but there is lot of evidence to suggest that he isn't very sane at the moment and, if cornered, could respond insanely. Our isolating Russia is painting Putin into a corner.

Agreed. This is a very volatile situation with a lot at stake.

On one hand, Putin could fall over this. He has really put Russia out there, making them a pariah for a nebulous return (what does Russia really gain by conquering Ukraine?) Even autocrats are enabled by others. At what point to Putin's enablers turn on him?

On the other extreme, Putin takes Ukraine and then sets it eyes on a NATO country such as Estonia, banking on the fact that we really would not go to war over Estonia. That is a really interesting bet. We should because if we do not, well, we have Europe of 1939 all over again. This presents end of the world scenario.

In many respects, Ukraine is right now fighting for all of us. If they can shame Putin, he may be done. In both cases, we are depending on a sane Putin, but there is lot of evidence to suggest that he isn't very sane at the moment and, if cornered, could respond insanely.

I'm starting to understand what it was like for those who lived the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I'm starting to understand what it was like for those who lived the Cuban Missile Crisis.
I was a small child, but my dad as a Marine reservist at the time. He expressed what a scary situation it was when I talked to him about it as we studied in school years later.

Not to take that to the next level, but the nuclear fire power and delivery capability of the US and Russia are such that a current nuclear exchange is far deadlier than it was in 1961.

I do not think it is.
Putin has been putting pieces in place for a while. I belive he decided before he went into Ukraine that when the West offered him unacceptable resistance he would use strategic nukes.
We have stood up to him to this point, this was his backup right along.

He will continue to challenge the West until he gets what he wants. He will not back down.
I belive he has made up his mind. He will continue to escalate unless he gets what he wants. Right to Armageddon .

So you think Putin alone has the power to kill everyone in Russia? No protocol whatsoever for a nuke attack?

So you think Putin alone has the power to kill everyone in Russia? No protocol whatsoever for a nuke attack?

No clue what you are asking, talking about, what this means.

However it seems to me you did not understand my post at all. Nor do you understand a man like Putin.

Ask in more reasoned, understandable words if you have a question, like I said, I did not understand your word salad.

i say good! As insufferable and spoiled the west is, we could really use a good nuking, and in a nuclear wasteland, the first thing to become meaningless is this sexual identity nonsense, only applicable to ivory towers which will no longer exist post nuke.

Did you know, people secure in their own sexual identify do not post like this?

Such powerful hare. My, my.

This is a BFD. My assessment is Putin feels backed into a corner at the moment and is lashing out. The Ukraine invasion is shaping up to be a watershed event in world politics and global leadership.
Previously posted:

IMO the only real target for a nuke would be Ukraine itself. Anywhere else would be another act of war.

Would Putin nuke his prize? A good part of it is already contaminated. It's a major agricultural region.

Putin already announced that he was lowering the threshold for the use of nuclear weapons. I guess we’ll know inside a week or two if it was bluster.

IMO he's just trying more intimidation. He's probably not happy that the resistance and sanctions are ramping up and not letting up.

He knows any such mention will 'start a conversation' and he doesnt want to seem like he's not considering all his options. He doesnt want us to forget his nukes (like we could).

Reactions: jpn
No clue what you are asking, talking about, what this means.

However it seems to me you did not understand my post at all. Nor do you understand a man like Putin.

Ask in more reasoned, understandable words if you have a question, like I said, I did not understand your word salad.

Sorry. I'll try again.

Your previous post assumed that Putin alone has the authority to launch a nuke attack. I'm simply asking: do you think Russia might have a protocol in place where more than one individual is ultimately responsible for approving an attack that will result in the destruction of their entire country?

IMO he's just trying more intimidation. He's probably not happy that the resistance and sanctions are ramping up and not letting up.

He knows any such mention will 'start a conversation' and he doesnt want to seem like he's not considering all his options. He doesnt want us to forget his nukes (like we could).

Wrong.

I do think Putin is way, way over his skis. He bit off more than he could chew, by underestimating the resolve the the Ukranian people and the unity of NATO. As such, he has withdrawn much, if not all of his political capital at home. He has painted himself into a corner and is thus very dangerous to himself, Russia and the entire world. This is what you get with autocrats that surround themselves with 'yes' men: bad decisions. America would best reflect on what is happening in Russia to be certain it never also happens here.

There wasn’t the near real time access to information in 1963. One had to wait for the evening news or the newspaper.

No one thought he would invade until he did…….

Upside, did you forget all Russia/Ukraine war live news must be posted in a sticky thread? That is all this is, live news that belongs nowhere else on DP.

Sorry. I'll try again.

Your previous post assumed that Putin alone has the authority to launch a nuke attack. I'm simply asking: do you think Russia might have a protocol in place where more than one individual is ultimately responsible for approving an attack that will result in the destruction of their entire country?
It is probably not as good as ours, which is scarily over-reliant on the judgement of one man.

Upside, did you forget all Russia/Ukraine war live news must be posted in a sticky thread? That is all this is, live news that belongs nowhere else on DP.
This is a little different than war reporting on Russia/Ukraine. This is a develop that steps well out of bounds of the war worthy of its own attention and discussion. Certainly its not a fully independent development of that war, but is an event that takes world peace and all of our security to a new level. This is a whole different dimension should should concern everyone beyond the preconceived idea that the Ukraine -Russian war is confined to eastern Europe.

If someone is going to elevate the nuclear threat, hence that the future of the world as we know it, forgive me, but I think that is worth its own thread.

Last edited:
I do think Putin is way, way over his skis. He bit off more than he could chew, by underestimating the resolve the the Ukranian people and the unity of NATO. As such, he has withdrawn much, if not all of his political capital at home. He has painted himself into a corner and is thus very dangerous to himself, Russia and the entire world. This is what you get with autocrats that surround themselves with 'yes' men: bad decisions. America would best reflect on what is happening in Russia to be certain it never also happens here.

I dunno. IMO, with all the cheating and intimidation he's done to retain his presidency, he has not raised the Russian people or economy to any great success at all. He's not leaving much of a legacy.

IMO he doesnt care, he's "all in" as he's getting old and losing out on time. Suffering for the Russian people means nothing to him IMO, but he does need the backing of the oligarchs. He also may be underestimating the Russian people's willingness to protest too. He may end up strong-arming the folks at home while fighting Ukraine. That's more resources.

E
I dunno. IMO, with all the cheating and intimidation he's done to retain his presidency, he has not raised the Russian people or economy to any great success at all. He's not leaving much of a legacy.

IMO he doesnt care, he's "all in" as he's getting old and losing out on time. Suffering for the Russian people means nothing to him IMO, but he does need the backing of the oligarchs. He also may be underestimating the Russian people's willingness to protest too. He may end up strong-arming the folks at home while fighting Ukraine. That's more resources.

Here's a grim thought.

He could be especially dangerous if he has a hidden (from public knowledge) terminal disease.

Putin has an objective. We don't know what that is. I hope it's not to take back NATO countries under a new USSR or something even grander.

To achieve this, he will do whatever it is he has to do. Either the West will give him what he wants or he will take it. Challenging the WEst each and every step.

If he needs to, he will use strategic nukes and if we respond in kind he will up the anti again. He is set on winning. He has made up his mind that the West will eventually cave or it will be Armageddon.

He will not be be retarded by out responses as we all hope.

I just wish I knew how extensive his quest is. If it were just to control Ukraine he would not need to do what he did today. He knows the WEst is not putting troops in. See?

ung.png

Putin has an objective. We don't know what that is. I hope it's not to take back NATO countries under a new USSR or something even grander.

To achieve this, he will do whatever it is he has to do. Either the West will give him what he wants or he will take it. Challenging the WEst each and every step.

If he needs to, he will use strategic nukes and if we respond in kind he will up the anti again. He is set on winning. He has made up his mind that the West will eventually cave or it will be Armageddon.

He will not be be retarded by out responses as we all hope.

I just wish I knew how extensive his quest is. If it were just to control Ukraine he would not need to do what he did today. He knows the WEst is not putting troops in. See?

Thanks Tom Clancy. Where are the submarines?

This is a BFD. My assessment is Putin feels backed into a corner at the moment and is lashing out. The Ukraine invasion is shaping up to be a watershed event in world politics and global leadership.
With the current liberal mentality in America he sees the west as weak pansies.
Putin's playing hardball. Knowing who DEM's like biden call it Toxic masculinity, want to create safe spaces for all Americans
snowflakes, and think there's more than 2 genders...

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it!

Attachments

• Tanks.png
    Tanks.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom