• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin is inching towards his nukes, threatening to annihilate the world if he fails to capture Ukraine, says foreign affairs expert

Putin has gone total Bond supervillain over all this. I suspect he knows he's dying and figures he personally has nothing to lose so why not go Scorched Earth on the way out.
If he wipes out the planet then he certainly will have a legacy, eh? No one remembers the mediocre.

Remember this: If Putin launches a nuclear attack, it will be Biden's fault. Because all bad things are Biden's fault.
Unfortunately, that would be moot, though I would still blame Trump for not standing up to him and undermining NATO giving Putin a degree of confidence that he could just walk into Ukraine without real consequence.

That all said, I do believe that end of the world as we know it may well be at hand (or is a distinct possibility). To me, Revelations describes a post-nuclear world. I certainly do not want the world to end; certainly not yet as I have much to live for. With Jonathan Taylor, Jamar Chase and the #5 pick in the draft in the draft, I have great plans to dominate the DP fantasy football league this year.

Last edited:
Yes, we know.

In the Pentagon, there was serious discussion about making sure that Trump didn’t get to push the button.
Trump was far less likely to push a button like than the current denizen of the White House.

Putin threatening to Nuke the world if he fails to capture Ukraine.

Is Putin crazy, or is he just pretending to be crazy?
Putin can eat a bag of dicks.

Nobody is afraid of his vertically-challenged ass.

Never heard of this source, but it could be true…..

A London based business paper.

Remember this: If Putin launches a nuclear attack, it will be Biden's fault. Because all bad things are Biden's fault.
LOL, after 4 years of Trump being blamed for everything bad, you now have an objection to the President being blamed? Of course....

Well, Biden is the Commander In Chief, so much of what we do in Ukraine is his call. And, frankly, only an idiot has been unaware that Russia was not going to let Ukraine join NATO. This war didn't just start 2 months ago. It started 10-15 years ago, and has been ongoing;

Had NATO just committed to Ukraine staying out of NATO, none of this would be happening right now. The Left used to be against NATO expansion, not sure what happened. In 2015, John Mearsheimer wrote, “The West is leading Ukraine down the primrose path, and the end result is that Ukraine is going to get wrecked.”

Here is a good explanation of the conflict - - great video.

Lots of factors -- Nato Expaansion, EU expansion and Orange Revolution - Coup of February 22, 2014.

IF the guys in Russia controlling the nukes are just as incompetent as the Russian troops are then I don't think there is anything to fear.

Honestly, the US is giving the middle-finger to Putin for interfering with elections and getting Trump elected President. If only the GOP weren't so corrupt, Putin would never have had to resort to invading Ukraine.
Putin is dying and wants the "recovery" of Ukraine for mother Russia to be his epitaph. Failing that, if he's going to die, taking a few million westerners wouldn't be so bad either. (From his POV.)

What’s to stop Putin from destroying the world every time he wants something?

Give me Ukraine or I destroy the world. Give me Moldova or I destroy the world. Give me Alaska, Finland and Poland or I destroy the world.

And of course you have to factor in the success of this strategy as a lesson to every country with nuclear weapons, as well as a shiny new motivation for acquiring nuclear weapons for those not yet in possession of them.

There’s a reason why you can’t accommodate nuclear blackmail.

What’s to stop Putin from destroying the world every time he wants something?

Give me Ukraine or I destroy the world. Give me Moldova or I destroy the world. Give me Alaska, Finland and Poland or I destroy the world.

And of course you have to factor in the success of this strategy as a lesson to every country with nuclear weapons, as well as a shiny new motivation for acquiring nuclear weapons for those not yet in possession of them.

There’s a reason why you can’t accommodate nuclear blackmail.
We wouldn't have this fight, and half of Ukraine wouldn't be destroyed right now, if we just agreed that they wouldn't join NATO.

If the people who are close to him feel that he might do it, and it would kill them, it makes it more likely he won't survive his medical procedure

So I don't know how serious, accurate this is, but since this started heating up earlier in the year, my first feeling was that this is about him having cancer. Not sure why he is doing it this way, and didn't even know he actually did have cancer then, but the invasion itself doesn't make sense for the situation, was almost an act of desperation. I have a feeling that this at least isn't too far from the truth of what he wants, even if, hopefully, he can't make it happen.
Lately the "experts" have had a dismal track record

LOL, after 4 years of Trump being blamed for everything bad, you now have an objection to the President being blamed? Of course....

Well, Biden is the Commander In Chief, so much of what we do in Ukraine is his call. And, frankly, only an idiot has been unaware that Russia was not going to let Ukraine join NATO. This war didn't just start 2 months ago. It started 10-15 years ago, and has been ongoing;

Had NATO just committed to Ukraine staying out of NATO, none of this would be happening right now. The Left used to be against NATO expansion, not sure what happened. In 2015, John Mearsheimer wrote, “The West is leading Ukraine down the primrose path, and the end result is that Ukraine is going to get wrecked.”

Here is a good explanation of the conflict - - great video.

Lots of factors -- Nato Expaansion, EU expansion and Orange Revolution - Coup of February 22, 2014.

So when Putin lied and said the massing of troops on the Ukraine border was simply an exercise, that was NATO's fault? When Putin's forces target hospitals and schoolhouses, that is NATO's fault? Putin has no choice but to flatten entire cities in Ukraine because NATO? And when Russia, a member of the UN Security Council, brought up these concerns at the UN, what was the response? Oh yeah, now I remember - Putin never raised any "Ukraine is going to join NATO!" issues.

Let me guess - you think Putin is a genius.

Coercion via nuclear threat doesn't really work because:

If you are crazy enough to launch nukes you wipe yourself out.

Your opponents reaction to thinking you are bluffing is to do what they are going to do anyway and seek out shelter with someone who can retaliate to try to convince you to not.

Your opponents reaction to thinking you will launch nukes is to do what they are going to do anyway and seek out shelter with someone who can retaliate to convince you to not.

If you notice you don't ever actually get what you want.

Honestly, the US is giving the middle-finger to Putin for interfering with elections and getting Trump elected President. If only the GOP weren't so corrupt, Putin would never have had to resort to invading Ukraine.

Yes, that made sense.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom