• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin is inching towards his nukes, threatening to annihilate the world if he fails to capture Ukraine, says foreign affairs expert

I now give you the opportunity to provide a counter-argument.

You're right. It was up to the Ukrainian people, and that's what the Maidan Uprising and the Revolution of Dignity was about.
None of what you posted is evidence of Russia "controlling" the Ukrainian government. Russia surely meddled in Ukrainian affairs, absolutely. But "control?" No sir, not based on what you posted. All you posted was that in 2004 Russia may have been behind the assassination attempt, and that Russia is involved in corruption in Ukraine.

Ukraine has been one of the most corrupt countries in the international system. In its annual report published in January 2022, Transparency International ranked Ukraine 123rd of the 180 countries it examined, with a score of 32 on a one to 100 point scale. The neo-Nazi Azov Battalion was an integral part of President Petro Poroshenko’s military and security apparatus, and it has retained that role during Zelensky’s presidency. https://www.thedailybeast.com/ukraines-anti-russia-azov-battalion-minutemen-or-neo-nazi-terrorists

United States' meddling in Ukraine’s internal political affairs was substantial and obvious. US officials openly celebrated that a pro-Western government had supplanted Yanukovych. https://original.antiwar.com/ted_ga...cratic-clients-become-an-embarrassment-again/

Sure it does. I have seen what the US military does when we were sent places. The idea that we are somehow the good guys is 100% perspective. The same is true in Ukraine. When a foreign army comes to your home, destroys everything in sight, no one cares why they said they did it.

It is when you talk a big game about things we *have* to do and have a *moral* responsibility to do. If your morality compels you so strongly then you should be there. Instead you want to send others in your place. That's cowardly or disingenuous, pick one.

We don't need to read the minds of the Ukrainians to know what they want. They've already told us. I understand your advice for the Ukrainians is to surrender to the Russians, but that's not what the Ukrainians want for themselves. And your annoyance of my lack of personal involvement in this war is totally irrelevant to your argument on this political discussion forum and amounts to nothing more than an ad hominem logical fallacy.

We don't need to read the minds of the Ukrainians to know what they want. They've already told us. I understand your advice for the Ukrainians is to surrender to the Russians, but that's not what the Ukrainians want for themselves. And your annoyance of my lack of personal involvement in this war is totally irrelevant to your argument on this political discussion forum and amounts to nothing more than an ad hominem logical fallacy.

Again, you are missing the point entirely.

If the Ukrainians want to feed themselves to a meat grinder in the name of their new master, that's fine. My issue is that we are steamrolling towards escalation over a country that is *meaningless* to the US. You have gone on and on about national interests and using that to justify our behavior in the past. Fine, great. How is it in our national interest to escalate Ukraine endlessly? Both in financial cost, humanitarian cost, and escalatory risk? Where's the upside to the US?

With respect to avoiding the war, what your advice would have entailed was for Ukraine to surrender to Putin's demands.

That's a rational and logical position.

But the cost is Ukraine's freedom and independence.
That's nonsense. What it would entail is not Ukraine surrendering, but the US and Europea to provide Russia with assurances.

The savings would have been the lives of 10s of thousands of people, and the livelihoods of 50 million Ukrainians, who would still have a country to live in. This was just about Ukraine remaining neutral, so that Russia did not have to fear missiles in Ukraine.

None of what you posted is evidence of Russia "controlling" the Ukrainian government. Russia surely meddled in Ukrainian affairs, absolutely. But "control?" No sir, not based on what you posted. All you posted was that in 2004 Russia may have been behind the assassination attempt

Wait, are you seriously suggesting that Russia did not try to assassinate Yushchenko? This is your argument?

and that Russia is involved in corruption in Ukraine.

Russia used its oligarchs and Russian-aligned Ukrainian oligarchs to influence political events in Ukraine. There is substantial evidence of this, to the extent that it is in the realm of common knowledge.

Ukraine has been one of the most corrupt countries in the international system. In its annual report published in January 2022, Transparency International ranked Ukraine 123rd of the 180 countries it examined, with a score of 32 on a one to 100 point scale.

Yes, and this is one of the motivating factors behind much of the problems in Ukraine's political system, and a lot of this corruption originates from Russia. Putin and his oligarchs benefit from Ukraine having a corrupt political system. And the goal of the West should not be to just sit idly by and let Ukraine exist in a state of corruption, but to help Ukraine become a full-fledged, liberal democracy with a functioning and independent judiciary with relatively low levels of corruption. This is part of the reason why Ukraine engaged in the Maidan Uprising. This is part of the reason why Ukraine engaged in the Orange Revolution. This is part of the reason why Ukraine is defending itself now from a Russian invasion. The Ukrainians want a real democracy for themselves.

The neo-Nazi Azov Battalion was an integral part of President Petro Poroshenko’s military and security apparatus, and it has retained that role during Zelensky’s presidency. https://www.thedailybeast.com/ukraines-anti-russia-azov-battalion-minutemen-or-neo-nazi-terrorists

And? What are you trying to argue? This does not appear to have anything to do with anything we are discussing.

United States' meddling in Ukraine’s internal political affairs was substantial and obvious. US officials openly celebrated that a pro-Western government had supplanted Yanukovych. https://original.antiwar.com/ted_ga...cratic-clients-become-an-embarrassment-again/

I read the article where you are referencing that U.S. meddling in Ukraine's internal political affairs was "substantial and obvious" but the article does not describe why U.S. meddling in Ukraine was "substantial and obvious." All it does is provide a link to a book on amazon which the author of the article wrote. There is no page number referenced in the article. I can only assume the both you and the author want me to accept this claim without doing any further research.

I don't have this book and I have no intention of ordering it. And I know you haven't read the book, and you're just copying and pasting the author's assertion.

Would you like to try again?

You are now straight up posting anti-American, anti-Western, pro-Russian propaganda by anti-American, anti-Western, pro-Russian bloggers. This is pure shit. I don't think you even bothered to read this article or look into the author's history.

Who is Eric Zuesse?

Investigative historian Eric Zuesse’s next book (soon to be published) will be AMERICA’S EMPIRE OF EVIL: Hitler’s Posthumous Victory, and Why the Social Sciences Need to Change. It’s about how America took over the world after World War II in order to enslave it to U.S.-and-allied billionaires. Their cartels extract the world’s wealth by control of not only their ‘news’ media but the social ‘sciences’ — duping the public.

What other articles has Zuesse written?

The very objective: Ukraine Targets & Kills Civilians, Says Russia Did It; U.S .&E U Press Report the Lie (NOT the Truth)

Just the facts: The U.S. and its Allies Try to Split the World In Two

The unbiased: What Should Replace the EU?

The totally balanced: Why It’s Especially Necessary to End NATO Now

Please, step up your game. Don't be so obvious when copying pro-Russian, pro-Putin propaganda. It's not worth my time to rebut idiotic Kremlin propaganda you haven't even bothered to read.

Imo, Putin is definitely crazy. Careful because when you put a crazy dog into a corner, unanticipated events can follow. I hope Russia has a 'Brutus' character lurking somewhere in the Kremlin.
He won't touch the nukes, unless Russian borders are crossed.

Its just a matter of attrition now, Western supplies are pouring in, not a damn thing Vlad can do.

He won't touch the nukes, unless Russian borders are crossed.

Its just a matter of attrition now, Western supplies are pouring in, not a damn thing Vlad can do.
Russian borders have been crossed...
1652299783895.png

That's nonsense. What it would entail is not Ukraine surrendering, but the US and Europea to provide Russia with assurances.

Yes, assurances that Ukraine would not be able to freely and independently choose which economic or military agreements it formed with other countries.

This was just about Ukraine remaining neutral

If it was only about Ukraine remaining "neutral" then Russia wouldn't have invaded Ukraine in 2014 because Ukraine was still neutral in 2014.

The savings would have been the lives of 10s of thousands of people, and the livelihoods of 50 million Ukrainians, who would still have a country to live in. This was just about Ukraine remaining neutral, so that Russia did not have to fear missiles in Ukraine.

I don't think it was Ukraine's responsibility to concede to Russia's demands. However, it was Russia's responsibility to not invade Ukraine. This war is Russia's fault. It's Russia's fault because Russia invaded Ukraine. I understand your argument is that Ukraine should have given up its freedom and independence to avoid this war, but this is not what the Ukrainians have chosen.

Again, you are missing the point entirely.

Stop right there. This is a new point you're introducing to this thread. My participation in this thread has been about me showing MrNiceGuy that conceding to Russia's demands to prevent this war would have entailed the loss of Ukraine's freedom and independence from Russia.

If the Ukrainians want to feed themselves to a meat grinder in the name of their new master, that's fine. My issue is that we are steamrolling towards escalation over a country that is *meaningless* to the US. You have gone on and on about national interests and using that to justify our behavior in the past. Fine, great. How is it in our national interest to escalate Ukraine endlessly? Both in financial cost, humanitarian cost, and escalatory risk? Where's the upside to the US?

Well, for one, they are awesome fighters. These are the kind of people you want as allies.

Two, it's in our long-term interests to have more stable, liberal democracies in the world, especially in Europe, and fewer Russian-controlled countries.

Three, it's in our long-term interests to have a weakened Russia because Russia is our adversary.

Four, it's in our long-term interests to teach Russia a lesson that it cannot expand into Europe via force.

And five, in addition to being in our interests, it's also the right thing to do. The Ukrainians need our help, The Ukrainians want to be more Western and less Russian, The Ukrainians want for themselves a stable, liberal democracy, and if we can help them win their independence and freedom without getting involved in a direct war with Russia, we should do so.

Also, a lot of my argument is premised on the assumption that it's good for the U.S. to have the world be dominated by a Western, liberal order that has operated since the end of WWII. I understand you want the U.S. to be an isolationist country, but I don't agree.

Stop right there. This is a new point you're introducing to this thread. My participation in this thread has been about me showing MrNiceGuy that conceding to Russia's demands to prevent this war would have entailed the loss of Ukraine's freedom and independence from Russia.

No, no I am not. The point we are both making is that Russia didn't disrupt the status quo, we did. We shifted Ukraine out of Russia's sphere and into ours. I take the position that we did through direct intervention, destabilization, covert operations, bribery, blackmail, etc. You can disagree with that, but whatever the case is Russia was clearly provoked into action. The same way we would have been had the roles been reversed, why? National interest. They don't want hostile military forces on their border the same way we didn't tolerate a fraction as much anywhere on *OUR HEMISPHERE*. We are actively threatening the Solomons over something far smaller in scale and scope.

Well, for one, they are awesome fighters. These are the kind of people you want as allies.

That's absurd. The Taliban were tenacious and skilled fighters. You pick allies who are useful to you. A third world country with no ability to project force or contribute meaningfully in a global military manner? That's not a valid candidate for a military ally.

Two, it's in our long-term interests to have more stable, liberal democracies in the world, especially in Europe, and fewer Russian-controlled countries.

That's clearly not true. We destabilize democracies all the time in an effort to put puppet regimes in to carry our water. We did that in Ukraine in 2014. It is our MO. Ukraine has become less democratic, liberal, and less free since Maidan, that is an objective fact beyond dispute. Russia is not a threat to the United States, outside of nukes. Aggravating and provoking a situation with a conventional military which is drastically weaker than you, but on rough parity strategically, it is a horrific idea. It leads that adversary to conclude they must resort to nukes in order to maintain stability.

Three, it's in our long-term interests to have a weakened Russia because Russia is our adversary.

Russia was/is dying long before Ukraine. The country is a demographic disaster in every imaginable way. We didn't need to provoke a war to achieve this. They are, at best, a regional power at this point.

Four, it's in our long-term interests to teach Russia a lesson that it cannot expand into Europe via force.

How is that?

And five, in addition to being in our interests, it's also the right thing to do. The Ukrainians need our help, The Ukrainians want to be more Western and less Russian, The Ukrainians want for themselves a stable, liberal democracy, and if we can help them win their independence and freedom without getting involved in a direct war with Russia, we should do so.

You don't get the claim morality here. You keep resorting to "right", that's bs. You were fine slaughtering democractic leaders and their people for decades, you are still fine doing it today. Those were free people choosing a path they wanted to follow and we *slaughtered* them for it. After you do that a few dozen times you don't get to talk about a moral duty.

Also, a lot of my argument is premised on the assumption that it's good for the U.S. to have the world be dominated by a Western, liberal order that has operated since the end of WWII. I understand you want the U.S. to be an isolationist country, but I don't agree.

I get you don't understand complex words. I have never been an isolationist. I am a "don't intervene in stupid no-win scenarios" kinda guy. Whatever happens in Ukraine means jack-squat to America. If every Ukrainian was melted into glass tomorrow, would we care? Maybe for a bit until agricultural prices settled down. However end of the day Ukraine is a meaningless country on the world stage. I don't harbor them any ill-will, I just don't care about them, certainly not enough to risk war over them.

What is clear is that you can't actually show a national interest motivation for the US. The closest you came is "weaken Russia", which would be viable if we were talking about a near-peer threat. We aren't. Russia's demographics are a joke. Their conventional military a laughing stock (even before this). Their economy a disaster. None of that indicates that we needed to engage in hastening the downfall of Russia by getting involved in Ukraine.

And still no nukes

Good sign he is bluffing eh?!
Has bluffed. Wouldn't go so far as to say he is bluffing. He'd have to admit that the Ukrainians had struck inside Russia...

Has bluffed. Wouldn't go so far as to say he is bluffing. He'd have to admit that the Ukrainians had struck inside Russia...
I believe NATO boots inside Russia would send Vlad Coco puffs crazy. Until that happens Joe can keep poking the neutered bear.

No, no I am not. The point we are both making is that Russia didn't disrupt the status quo, we did. We shifted Ukraine out of Russia's sphere and into ours. I take the position that we did through direct intervention, destabilization, covert operations, bribery, blackmail, etc. You can disagree with that, but whatever the case is Russia was clearly provoked into action. The same way we would have been had the roles been reversed, why? National interest. They don't want hostile military forces on their border the same way we didn't tolerate a fraction as much anywhere on *OUR HEMISPHERE*. We are actively threatening the Solomons over something far smaller in scale and scope.

That's absurd. The Taliban were tenacious and skilled fighters. You pick allies who are useful to you. A third world country with no ability to project force or contribute meaningfully in a global military manner? That's not a valid candidate for a military ally.

That's clearly not true. We destabilize democracies all the time in an effort to put puppet regimes in to carry our water. We did that in Ukraine in 2014. It is our MO. Ukraine has become less democratic, liberal, and less free since Maidan, that is an objective fact beyond dispute. Russia is not a threat to the United States, outside of nukes. Aggravating and provoking a situation with a conventional military which is drastically weaker than you, but on rough parity strategically, it is a horrific idea. It leads that adversary to conclude they must resort to nukes in order to maintain stability.

Russia was/is dying long before Ukraine. The country is a demographic disaster in every imaginable way. We didn't need to provoke a war to achieve this. They are, at best, a regional power at this point.

How is that?

You don't get the claim morality here. You keep resorting to "right", that's bs. You were fine slaughtering democractic leaders and their people for decades, you are still fine doing it today. Those were free people choosing a path they wanted to follow and we *slaughtered* them for it. After you do that a few dozen times you don't get to talk about a moral duty.

I get you don't understand complex words. I have never been an isolationist. I am a "don't intervene in stupid no-win scenarios" kinda guy. Whatever happens in Ukraine means jack-squat to America. If every Ukrainian was melted into glass tomorrow, would we care? Maybe for a bit until agricultural prices settled down. However end of the day Ukraine is a meaningless country on the world stage. I don't harbor them any ill-will, I just don't care about them, certainly not enough to risk war over them.

What is clear is that you can't actually show a national interest motivation for the US. The closest you came is "weaken Russia", which would be viable if we were talking about a near-peer threat. We aren't. Russia's demographics are a joke. Their conventional military a laughing stock (even before this). Their economy a disaster. None of that indicates that we needed to engage in hastening the downfall of Russia by getting involved in Ukraine.

“We” did no such thing. Why do you keep lying about that? Ukraine had a right, as an independent nation, to pick their own route in the world

Sure it does. I have seen what the US military does when we were sent places. The idea that we are somehow the good guys is 100% perspective. The same is true in Ukraine. When a foreign army comes to your home, destroys everything in sight, no one cares why they said they did it.

It is when you talk a big game about things we *have* to do and have a *moral* responsibility to do. If your morality compels you so strongly then you should be there. Instead you want to send others in your place. That's cowardly or disingenuous, pick one.

Your last sentence is nothing more than deflection.

Such strong convictions while you sit at home. Be a man, go over there and do something if you are so brave and honorable.
Off topic. This is about the destruction and killing in Ukraine by Putin, not silly “personal” challenges.

No. No one is saying that. What we are saying is that neutrality is one thing but shifting to ally yourself with an adversary is going to cause a problem. Period, full stop. If Ukraine drifted, organically, to a neutrality state this would be a very different topic. That didn't happen. The west intervened to pull them to a diametrically opposed sphere. That's a recipe for violence, 100% of the time.

They were never entirely independent, the same way they are not now.

Your own definition of coup meets what happened in 13/14 in Ukraine.

There is no evidence of that until Ukraine was flipped.

It's not a perception and it isn't limited to the Cold War. How many people have we killed in the last 20 years in the mid-east and north africa? How many nations do we threaten to make sure they bend to our will?

Putin apologism.

Poland has been in NATO for decades, and Russia hasn't done anything about it. They've not threatened Poland. NATO's expansion into Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, however, is definitely a threat to Russia.

Back
Top Bottom