• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin is a Genius and a Peacekeeper!

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump said 8 days ago: "Putin is a genius and a peacekeeper!"

How wrong can anyone ever be?

Genius?

No, You’re Not Imagining It: Russia’s Army Is Inept

Michael Kofman, a military analyst at CNA, an Arlington, Virginia–based think tank, who has been following the battle closely, tweeted late Sunday afternoon, “It’s taken me a while to figure out what [the Russian military is] trying to do, because it looks so ridiculous and incompetent.” B.A. Friedman, a military historian and tactician, went further: “This isn’t a good army executing a bad plan. It isn’t a good army executing outdated or out-of-context tactics. It’s a bad army!”

Peacekeeper?

ukrainebcompilation.jpg

Ukraine Proves Russia’s Putin Is No Geopolitical Genius

Russian President Vladimir Putin is often conceived in the Western popular imagination as a geopolitical “chess player,” reading the board, understanding his opponent’s strengths and vulnerabilities, and clairvoyantly planning three or four steps ahead. Putin’s willingness to take risks to seize emerging opportunities has fed this characterization. Propelled by rising oil prices, Putin managed a significant modernization of the Russian military, employing these rejuvenated capabilities to achieve successes in Crimea in 2014 and Syria in 2015, which partially restored the sense that Russia was a great power.

But Putin’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine should permanently lay this “chess master” trope to rest. It is hard to overstate the degree to which the ex-KGB agent appears to have misread the political factors surrounding the invasion, resulting in a severe underestimation of the likely military and economic repercussions. While he may still achieve a tactical military victory over Ukraine, Putin has miscalculated, and the long-term consequences of his war of choice could be devastating for Russia.

The "peacekeeper" just set fire to the largest nuclear power plant in Europe. Let be clear...Putin is NEVER coming back from this Ukraine mess. His own people will likely take him down.

trump is good for nothing.

How wrong can anyone ever be?

Genius?

Peacekeeper?

View attachment 67378078

The history of Russian military campaigns has been the achievement of "military effectiveness" DESPITE an incredible lack of "military efficiency".

The history of Russian military campaigns has been the achievement of "military effectiveness" DESPITE an incredible lack of "military efficiency".
Military effectiveness because they have the largest military in the world (they have the largest nation in the world) but not because they are efficient. Numbers do overwhelm, don't they?

Russiamap.jpg

FM6fa5waIAIEvsx

Military effectiveness because they have the largest military in the world
Actually the Russian military is only the fifth or sixth largest in the world (some countries have mandatory "reserve service" requirements and Russia is one of them).

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Total Number of Military Personnel (in members):​

1. Vietnam: 10,522,000
  2. North Korea: 7,769,000
  3. South Korea: 6,712,500
  4. India: 5,137,500
  5. China: 4,015,000
  6. Russia: 3,568,000
  7. United States: 2,233,050
  8. Brazil: 2,101,500
  9. Taiwan: 1,831,800
  10. Pakistan: 1,495,000

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Number of Active-Duty Military Personnel (in members):​

1. China: 2,185,000
  2. India: 1,455,550
  3. United States: 1,388,100
  4. North Korea: 1,280,000
  5. Russia: 1,014,000
  6. Pakistan: 654,000
  7. Iran: 610,000
  8. South Korea: 599,000
  9. Vietnam: 482,000
  10. Egypt: 438,500

(they have the largest nation in the world)
Indeed they do. And what percentage of that "largest country" is considered to be uninhabited?
but not because they are efficient. Numbers do overwhelm, don't they?

View attachment 67378121
That's the difference between "military efficiency" and "military effectiveness". During WWII the Germans were MUCH more "militarily efficient" than the Russians. However the Russians were more "militarily effective" than the Germans.

Quite frankly the Russians have (as far as I know) never fielded a GOOD army.

Actually the Russian military is only the fifth or sixth largest in the world (some countries have mandatory "reserve service" requirements and Russia is one of them).

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Total Number of Military Personnel (in members):​

1. Vietnam: 10,522,000
  2. North Korea: 7,769,000
  3. South Korea: 6,712,500
  4. India: 5,137,500
  5. China: 4,015,000
  6. Russia: 3,568,000
  7. United States: 2,233,050
  8. Brazil: 2,101,500
  9. Taiwan: 1,831,800
  10. Pakistan: 1,495,000

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Number of Active-Duty Military Personnel (in members):​

1. China: 2,185,000
  2. India: 1,455,550
  3. United States: 1,388,100
  4. North Korea: 1,280,000
  5. Russia: 1,014,000
  6. Pakistan: 654,000
  7. Iran: 610,000
  8. South Korea: 599,000
  9. Vietnam: 482,000
  10. Egypt: 438,500

Indeed they do. And what percentage of that "largest country" is considered to be uninhabited?

That's the difference between "military efficiency" and "military effectiveness". During WWII the Germans were MUCH more "militarily efficient" than the Russians. However the Russians were more "militarily effective" than the Germans.

Quite frankly the Russians have (as far as I know) never fielded a GOOD army.
I agree with you totally on all these figures but that does not change the fact that we are facing a committed madman that is killing innocent people on purpose and that is not likely to stop. As far as the Russian military being effective, it is more so because they are accustomed to fighting in negative conditions (such as cold weather, snow, large expanses, etc) than anything else. You have not yet seen the Russian military fight in heavily concentrated areas of humanity where millions of people personally fight for their homeland and security. They are finding some of that in Ukraine.

I agree with you totally on all these figures but that does not change the fact that we are facing a committed madman that is killing innocent people on purpose and that is not likely to stop.
While I wouldn't go as far as "mad man", I will agree that Mr. Putin is committed and is not likely to stop voluntarily.

Just because I am of the opinion that Mr. Putin can think rings around Mr. Trump (and frequently did), that does NOT mean that I think that he is incapable of error.

In the current situation, I rather think that he did screw up in his reading of the actual situation. Maybe he paid too much attention to the Republicans and their vociferously bayed shouts about how ineffectual, spineless, and senile Mr. Biden is.
As far as the Russian military being effective, it is more so because they are accustomed to fighting in negative conditions (such as cold weather, snow, large expanses, etc) than anything else.
The Russian military has a history of producing "effectiveness" simply by having more personnel that have to be killed than their opponents did.
You have not yet seen the Russian military fight in heavily concentrated areas of humanity where millions of people personally fight for their homeland and security.
Well, other than in Germany and the other Axis countries during WWII that is. (And, of course, that happened with troops (and line officers) that had actually seen real combat over extended periods of time and managed to survive. The evidence appears to support the claim that it was NOT the front line troops that committed the (vast majority of the) atrocities, but rather the "follow on" rear echelons that did.

PS - Given the fact that the Russians DO have experience in situations where where millions of people personally fight for their homeland and security (having once been in that same situation themselves) I'd be surprised to learn that they hadn't planned on it if I hadn't already suspected that "Russian Military Planning" was roughly on a par with "Donald Trump's Legal Strategy for Contesting the 2020 Elections".
They are finding some of that in Ukraine.
Yes indeed, and they aren't liking it one bit. Only a well trained, well disciplined, well led, army is likely NOT to see "reprisals" in such a situation - and the Russians don't have one.

PS - The odds that their nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon delivery systems are as crappy as their army is are so low that I wouldn't even put down a bet on it.

if I hadn't already suspected that "Russian Military Planning" was roughly on a par with "Donald Trump's Legal Strategy for Contesting the 2020 Elections".
Great and true statement!!!!

As the Russian leader prepared to invade Ukraine, the leader of the Republican Party had only praise for Vladimir Putin.

Donald Trump has a history of supporting Putin ever since the Russian helped Trump win the 2016 Presidential election. So, it is no big surprise that Trump would have high praise for what Putin is doing as the latter prepared for a European war that could rival WWII in its severity.

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius.’ Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine, of Ukraine, Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful,” Trump said.

“So Putin is now saying, ‘It’s independent,’ a large section of Ukraine. I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s going to go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s the strongest peace force. We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. … Here’s a guy who’s very savvy. … I know him very well. Very, very well,” Trump added.

Trump's comments were made on Tuesday. Russia invaded Ukraine the next day.

Trump's comments have been endorsed by the Republican leadership by virtue of their silence.

And now there is further evidence that Trump is the undisputed leader of the Republican Party.

The New York Post reports, "Former President Donald Trump is the overwhelming favorite for the GOP nomination in the 2024 presidential election, according to the results of a straw poll announced Sunday.

"Trump got 59 percent of the vote in a straw poll conducted at the Conservative Political Action Conference‘s meeting in Orlando, Fla., beating out Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis by 31 percentage points."

Can the Republican Party sink any lower.

The forum's Republicans will not respond to the issues contained in this report. Republicans do not talk about what their party is doing, and they certainly don't talk about Trump.

Yet they want him as President again. They can't explain why because they are educationally challenged and completely uninformed.

As the Russian leader prepared to invade Ukraine, the leader of the Republican Party had only praise for Vladimir Putin.

Donald Trump has a history of supporting Putin ever since the Russian helped Trump win the 2016 Presidential election. So, it is no big surprise that Trump would have high praise for what Putin is doing as the latter prepared for a European war that could rival WWII in its severity.

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius.’ Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine, of Ukraine, Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful,” Trump said.

“So Putin is now saying, ‘It’s independent,’ a large section of Ukraine. I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s going to go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s the strongest peace force. We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. … Here’s a guy who’s very savvy. … I know him very well. Very, very well,” Trump added.

Trump's comments were made on Tuesday. Russia invaded Ukraine the next day.

Trump's comments have been endorsed by the Republican leadership by virtue of their silence.

And now there is further evidence that Trump is the undisputed leader of the Republican Party.

The New York Post reports, "Former President Donald Trump is the overwhelming favorite for the GOP nomination in the 2024 presidential election, according to the results of a straw poll announced Sunday.

"Trump got 59 percent of the vote in a straw poll conducted at the Conservative Political Action Conference‘s meeting in Orlando, Fla., beating out Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis by 31 percentage points."

Can the Republican Party sink any lower.

The forum's Republicans will not respond to the issues contained in this report. Republicans do not talk about what their party is doing, and they certainly don't talk about Trump.

Yet they want him as President again. They can't explain why because they are educationally challenged and completely uninformed.
It is now evident that the Republican party is for autocracy and against Democracy. They agree with that Putin is doing, which means that if Trump gets re-elected in 2024, that they will expect him to get rid of all of our neighbors and present allies that would not agree with us, in the same way that Putin is doing it now.

After all, we are the strongest military in the world. Who would stop us?

Last edited:
Holy shit. "We need to protect the Russian people". Are you ****ing kidding me? Do you think ANYONE buys that garbage?

On a different note but thinking about what is happening right now. For the past 10-20 years that all of this inability to compromise has occurred and rise in the strength of tyrants (China, Russia, North Korea, Venezuela, etc) has come about, I have been convinced that some world catastrophe had to occur before changes for the better were seen.

The world has been heading south while power of the rich has grown at a stronger rate than the growth of world population (and that is saying a lot). A world-wide catastrophe that kills over 50% of the world population and gets humanity to work together for survival of the species is what I have visualized needed to happen before people would open their eyes to realize that humanity is at risk, not only nations are at risk.

I truly felt that I would not be alive to see the beginning of that catastrophe begin but the rapid acceleration of climate change and now this move by Putin in invading a free nation without reason, I am starting to believe that I may be witnessing not only the start of that catastrophe but perhaps even see the end of it, or actually end up being one of the victims of it....................alongside millions (if not billions) of others.

I hate to think it but I fear I may be right.

Back
Top Bottom