• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin Drops Peace Deal in Favor of Ukraine Land Grab

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

Attending Christian Orthodox Easter services yesterday.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has dropped plans for a peace deal and appears set on capturing more Ukrainian territory after failing to secure a quick victory in the first phase of the war, the Financial Times reported Sunday, citing three sources briefed on conversations with him. "There was hope for a deal. Putin was going back and forth," one of the people said. But talks stalled after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky accused Putin of war crimes in Bucha and Mariupol. The reportedly infuriated Putin signaled peace efforts were at a "dead end" after the sinking of the Moskva missile cruiser. "Putin was against signing anything. . .  after the Moskva he doesn’t look like a winner, because it was humiliating," the source added. "He needs to find a way to come out of this a winner." Negotiators suggested Putin switched to a land-grab strategy because he told European Council President Charles Michel in a call Friday that Ukraine had "put up a wall" and it was "not the right time" to meet Zelensky, according to the Financial Times.

"He wants everything to be decided before their personal meeting," said a person involved in peace talks, adding that Putin is avoiding meeting Zelensky "with all his might." A top Russian general said Friday that the second phase of the operation would involve taking control of east and south Ukraine to provide a land corridor to annexed Crimea. Putin has also insisted in talks that Russian troops do not target civilians, a distorted view apparently presented to him by generals and depicted on Russian television, the newspaper reported. "Putin sincerely believes in the nonsense he hears on [Russian] television and he wants to win big," said one person briefed on the talks.

One of the many reasons why this new stage of the war is Critical. Putin must not be able to use Russian military victories in Ukraine as blunt leverage in any future cease-fire negotiations.

Yes. I liked what the Sec Defense Lloyd Austin said recently:

"We want to see Russia weakened to the degree that it can't do the kinds of things that it has done in invading Ukraine."

Basically, it seems he is very plainly laying out the strategy: they want to bleed the Russians dry to the point of anemia. Nice strategy. I like it. Putin only seems to understand and respect force. So let's talk to him in his native language so we are understood clearly.

"We can't have a peace deal because they fought back."

LOL

Yes. I liked what the Sec Defense Lloyd Austin said recently:

"We want to see Russia weakened to the degree that it can't do the kinds of things that it has done in invading Ukraine."

Basically, it seems he is very plainly laying out the strategy: they want to bleed the Russians dry to the point of anemia. Nice strategy. I like it. Putin only seems to understand and respect force. So let's talk to him in his native language so we are understood clearly.

I liked that too. But you can bet that Putzin will use that as propaganda fodder in Russia.

I liked that too. But you can bet that Putzin will use that as propaganda fodder in Russia.

Let him. He has bankrupted his economy, pushed more nations to join NATO and in all likelihood sped up the prospect of Ukraine joining NATO once the Russians have been fought to a standstill.
Next winter will be a huge telling point - if those dependent on Russian gas can find alternatives quickly enough then all Putin's aims have been neutralised. Especially if the Turks continue to prevent Russian warships exiting or entering the Black Sea.

"We can't have a peace deal because they fought back."

LOL
Well the Peace Deal he wanted was unconditional surrender and the annexation of Ukraine. When he didn't get that a Peace Deal was not desirable.

Back
Top Bottom