• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin being canceled

Chainsawmassacre

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Generally I’m vehemently opposed to cancel culture but in this case I’m all for it and it just may change the way the world turns. Nearly every country on earth barring China and NK of course are appalled by Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. Stores are pulling Russian vodka, sporting events are being canceled and even FB is standing up to Russia. If Ukraine can hold off long enough it’s possible Russia will realize it’s being isolated from the entire world and this invasion will crumble. If that happens we enter a new era.

Generally I’m vehemently opposed to cancel culture but in this case I’m all for it and it just may change the way the world turns. Nearly every country on earth barring China and NK of course are appalled by Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. Stores are pulling Russian vodka, sporting events are being canceled and even FB is standing up to Russia. If Ukraine can hold off long enough it’s possible Russia will realize it’s being isolated from the entire world and this invasion will crumble. If that happens we enter a new era.

Consequences.

The whole world should turn it's back on Putin.

Yes, but not the Russian people. They don't have a choice. In fact Putin fears the Russian street more than anything else. Dictators who are no longer feared by their people end up on the steps of government buildings with bullet holes in their heads. The Ceausescu ending is what every autocrat fears, and Putin is no different.

Putin's not a chess player; he's a poker player. He's making big bets. He bluffs. And with each hand he loses, he doubles down on the next one because he knows he's getting close to a point where he can't turn back.

For Putin, I think there are only two ways out of this:

1) He totally annihilates Ukraine with brutality simply unseen in modern times. He could do this. I didn't think he was capable of it initially, but I didn't expect a full-on invasion either - I still don't understand why he did this when he could have probably just taken more of the Donbas region. The problem with this is the outrage will be so great that the West (including Europe) would face strong demands to use all measures at their disposal to totally isolate Russia indefinitely. It would also activate US, EU, and Pacific allies military cooperation in ways not seen since the end of the Cold War and Russia's insiders probably don't really want that. Moreover, China doesn't want that either

2) He decapitates the government in Ukraine and then uses that leverage to negotiate from a position of power. He agrees to restore the Ukrainian government provided that they agree to all of Putin's demands, including drafting some sort of new constitution that weakens Ukranian democracy and splits them into a confederation. This is probably his best option, but it's complicated, particularly now that it's very clear that Ukraine's resistance is fiercely defending its nation and making Russia work a lot harder than they ever thought they would.

Yes, but not the Russian people. They don't have a choice. In fact Putin fears the Russian street more than anything else. Dictators who are no longer feared by their people end up on the steps of government buildings with bullet holes in their heads. The Ceausescu ending is what every autocrat fears, and Putin is no different.

Putin's not a chess player; he's a poker player. He's making big bets. He bluffs. And with each hand he loses, he doubles down on the next one because he knows he's getting close to a point where he can't turn back.

For Putin, I think there are only two ways out of this:

1) He totally annihilates Ukraine with brutality simply unseen in modern times. He could do this. I didn't think he was capable of it initially, but I didn't expect a full-on invasion either - I still don't understand why he did this when he could have probably just taken more of the Donbas region. The problem with this is the outrage will be so great that the West (including Europe) would face strong demands to use all measures at their disposal to totally isolate Russia indefinitely. It would also activate US, EU, and Pacific allies military cooperation in ways not seen since the end of the Cold War and Russia's insiders probably don't really want that. Moreover, China doesn't want that either

2) He decapitates the government in Ukraine and then uses that leverage to negotiate from a position of power. He agrees to restore the Ukrainian government provided that they agree to all of Putin's demands, including drafting some sort of new constitution that weakens Ukranian democracy and splits them into a confederation. This is probably his best option, but it's complicated, particularly now that it's very clear that Ukraine's resistance is fiercely defending its nation and making Russia work a lot harder than they ever thought they would.
There’s been anti war demonstrations in Russia and FB made it so Russia couldn’t track who in Russia post anti war comments. I really think the whole world is turning on Putin and in turn Russia and this may put unbearable pressure on them. If so it would be a turning point in history.

There’s been anti war demonstrations in Russia and FB made it so Russia couldn’t track who in Russia post anti war comments. I really think the whole world is turning on Putin and in turn Russia and this may put unbearable pressure on them. If so it would be a turning point in history.
Brilliant

I sure as hell hope so, but my fear is that Putin will see that the opportunity for a negotiated deal for Ukrainian neutrality is a ship that's sailed, and at that point, there's no going back. Putin will be as brutal as he feels he has to be as long as he's in power. It's not just Putin either but people who support him. They're not going to just say "Okay, we screwed up, we'll go back to our day jobs."

It's a good thing you're posting about...the worlds backlash against Putin.

But you should use this to reflect on yourself. You wrote:
Generally I’m vehemently opposed to cancel culture but in this case I’m all for it
You support cancel culture when you want to, just like everyone else.

I sure as hell hope so, but my fear is that Putin will see that the opportunity for a negotiated deal for Ukrainian neutrality is a ship that's sailed, and at that point, there's no going back. Putin will be as brutal as he feels he has to be as long as he's in power. It's not just Putin either but people who support him. They're not going to just say "Okay, we screwed up, we'll go back to our day jobs."
You are probably right. Might be wishful thinking on my part but if Ukraine can hold out long enough I think there’s a slim chance the invasion will lose steam as the whole world condemns Putin and in extension Russia.

Cancel culture in America based on political opposition and cancel culture based on invading a sovereign country and killing people. If you can’t see the difference I actually feel sorry for you.

I agree with everything except referring to this as "cancel culture," Chainsawmassacre.

Getting an everyday working person fired from their job for a joke they made on Twitter a decade ago when they were a different person is cancel culture. Punishing a head of state for starting a war of aggression is not "cancel culture."

I agree with everything except referring to this as "cancel culture," Chainsawmassacre.

Getting an everyday working person fired from their job for a joke they made on Twitter a decade ago when they were a different person is cancel culture. Punishing a head of state for starting a war of aggression is not "cancel culture."
Your criticism is valid. It was the best term I could come up with on short notice.

Cancel culture in America based on political opposition and cancel culture based on invading a sovereign country and killing people. If you can’t see the difference I actually feel sorry for you.
Of course there is a big difference, yet why would private business making choices for its business to exclude someone engaged in openly/obvious deplorable behavior, be a bad thing? That there is a difference is less relevant than the idea that you draw the line where you draw it, for no good reason.

NFL cancelled Kaepernick for kneeling in support of BLM...did you think that was appropriate or not? Trump and many right wingers supported it...
His behavior was not deplorable...if anything it was for a good cause.

Besides, we all know it's Democrats/left-wing that cancels their own if they engage in bad behavior. Republicans just double-down and support them in spite of it, in some cases supports them BECAUSE of it...(MTG, Hawley, etc.)

In any case, it's a good thing that Russia is being shut out by the world, but Russia's actions are not on the level of what we routinely term cancel culture.

You are probably right. Might be wishful thinking on my part but if Ukraine can hold out long enough I think there’s a slim chance the invasion will lose steam as the whole world condemns Putin and in extension Russia.

I think it's getting more and more complicated for Putin. A lot of his casual supporters believed that Ukraine lived under a dictatorship, which isn't true. If the conditions in Ukraine were so bad for Ukrainians why are they fighting Russian forces and not welcoming them as heroes?

It should be used on what society at large agrees is extrmemty unacceptable, not what half of society thinks. Or else we have division that can lead to a final end.

n any case, it's a good thing that Russia is being shut out by the world, but Russia's actions are not on the level of what we routinely term cancel culture.
I’m open to suggestions on a better term for the entire civilized world turning their backs on Russia and isolating them. I used cancel because it’s current terminology.

Fully well deserved. Putin wanted to back to the Cold War. OK. That's going to include the economic isolation that went along with it as well.
Probably too bad for the Russian people and Russian officials who are just as against this invasion as most anyone else.

U.S More than 150 senior Russian officials sign open letter condemning Putin's invasion of Ukraine By nytimespost - February 24, 2022 41 0 More than 150 senior Russian officials have signed an open letter condemning Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine as 'an unprecedented atrocity' and warning of 'catastrophic consequences'.​

Fully well deserved. Putin wanted to back to the Cold War. OK. That's going to include the economic isolation that went along with it as well.
Probably too bad for the Russian people and Russian officials who are just as against this invasion as most anyone else.

U.S More than 150 senior Russian officials sign open letter condemning Putin's invasion of Ukraine By nytimespost - February 24, 2022 41 0 More than 150 senior Russian officials have signed an open letter condemning Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine as 'an unprecedented atrocity' and warning of 'catastrophic consequences'.​
And then there is this: (hint: it's all about the money).

It should be used on what society at large agrees is extrmemty unacceptable, not what half of society thinks. Or else we have division that can lead to a final end.
Right wing media is responsible for convincing half the population to believe in nonsense and to support deplorable things.
Can't fix cancel culture without fixing that, sorry.

As long as modern Conservatives have deplorable views, there will be a divide.

That’s not cancel culture

Reactions: Bum
We have some solid right wingers on board against putin right from the start. Now that Fox has changed it's story and its pundits aren't sucking putin off every night, the typical trumpanzees seem to be turning a corner now that their new opinion has been given to them.

Here's some more of the world stepping up.

I’m open to suggestions on a better term for the entire civilized world turning their backs on Russia and isolating them. I used cancel because it’s current terminology.
Political and economic isolation

Right wing media is responsible for convincing half the population to believe in nonsense and to support deplorable things.
Can't fix cancel culture without fixing that, sorry.

As long as modern Conservatives have deplorable views, there will be a divide.
Big shock or radical progressive disagrees lol

Back
Top Bottom