• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin Apologists Meme on NATO not listening are wrong...

Its a difficult question to honestly address without conceding that Russians had a valid concern.
And Russians responded to that concern in exactly the worst possible way. They have directly caused the very threat they were trying to avoid by invading a sovereign country. They have effectively hastened the progress of NATO eventually coming right up to their borders. Whether their concern was valid or not, this moronic invasion proves that they cannot keep NATO away with their military. If that is the only tool in their toolkit, then they better get used to having NATO neighbors.

And Russians responded to that concern in exactly the worst possible way. They have directly caused the very threat they were trying to avoid by invading a sovereign country. They have effectively hastened the progress of NATO eventually coming right up to their borders. Whether their concern was valid or not, this moronic invasion proves that they cannot keep NATO away with their military. If that is the only tool in their toolkit, then they better get used to having NATO neighbors.

I agree with you that the decision for war is/was the worst of decisions and actually constitutes a war crime imho

NATO was already on their borders and taking part in large military exercises in countries that are not even yet full members that share borders with Russia. There concerns were legitimate but ignored

Maybe that was the plan all along, keep disregarding legitimate security concerns so as to create a situation where everyone wants to join the club.

Would the leadership or its people have accepted this if the roles were reversed is a crucial part of understanding things imo and the question, as ever, is largely ignored even by yourself

I agree with you that the decision for war is/was the worst of decisions and actually constitutes a war crime imho

NATO was already on their borders and taking part in large military exercises in countries that are not even yet full members that share borders with Russia. There concerns were legitimate but ignored

Maybe that was the plan all along, keep disregarding legitimate security concerns so as to create a situation where everyone wants to join the club.

Would the leadership or its people have accepted this if the roles were reversed is a crucial part of understanding things imo and the question, as ever, is largely ignored even by yourself
I know if the US wanted to put out a fire in Canada so it wouldn't spread to the US, it wouldn't have poured oil on it.

I know if the US wanted to put out a fire in Canada so it wouldn't spread to the US, it wouldn't have poured oil on it.

You are yet the latest of many to actually evade the question in the last sentence of the post this is a reply to and that's a surprise.

You are yet the latest of many to actually evade the question in the last sentence of the post this is a reply to and that's a surprise.
That was a metaphor. Here it is without the metaphor: The US would not invade Canada and expand its borders in order to prevent it from joining a military defensive alliance with China and Russia.

And that isn't even analogous to what is going on in Ukraine. Ukraine sought NATO membership only AFTER Russia invaded and annexed Crimea.

If the United States took over southern Canada and made it a part of the USA, then I would not be surprised if northern Canada reached out to Russia to form a defensive alliance, nor would I blame them. And the US would be the aggressor in that case, not northern Canada and not Russia.

Back
Top Bottom