• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin’s critics call for boycotts of Russian vodka.

NewfieMom

I read, therefore I am.
Bartender
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
A new front in the war against Russia may have been opened : a boycott of Russian vodka! If your local store has not already removed it from their shelves, ask them to do so and look for a non-Russian vodka to drink.

"Vodka, a drink that was popularized in the West by James Bond and that has long been one of Russia’s most visible exports, is now the target of international anger over the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In New Hampshire, where liquor and wine are sold through state-run stores, Gov. Chris Sununu, a Republican, announced on Saturday the removal of 'Russian-made and Russian-branded spirits from our liquor and wine outlets until further notice.' In Ohio, where the state contracts with private businesses to sell liquor, Gov. Mike DeWine, also a Republican, announced a halt to state purchases and sales of Russian Standard Vodka.

L. Louise Lucas, a top Democrat in the Virginia State Senate, is calling for 'the removal of all Russian vodka and any other Russian products' from Virginia’s nearly 400 state-run Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority stores.

And Senator Tom Cotton, Republican of Arkansas, wrote on Twitter, 'Dump all the Russian vodka and, alongside ammo and missiles, send the empty bottles to Ukraine to use for Molotov cocktails.'"

A new front in the war against Russia may have been opened : a boycott of Russian vodka! If your local store has not already removed it from their shelves, ask them to do so and look for a non-Russian vodka to drink.

"Vodka, a drink that was popularized in the West by James Bond and that has long been one of Russia’s most visible exports, is now the target of international anger over the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In New Hampshire, where liquor and wine are sold through state-run stores, Gov. Chris Sununu, a Republican, announced on Saturday the removal of 'Russian-made and Russian-branded spirits from our liquor and wine outlets until further notice.' In Ohio, where the state contracts with private businesses to sell liquor, Gov. Mike DeWine, also a Republican, announced a halt to state purchases and sales of Russian Standard Vodka.

L. Louise Lucas, a top Democrat in the Virginia State Senate, is calling for 'the removal of all Russian vodka and any other Russian products' from Virginia’s nearly 400 state-run Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority stores.

And Senator Tom Cotton, Republican of Arkansas, wrote on Twitter, 'Dump all the Russian vodka and, alongside ammo and missiles, send the empty bottles to Ukraine to use for Molotov cocktails.'"

Already in progress locally.

It makes sense for a retailer not to buy any more booze from Russia, but current inventory has already been purchased so hiding or dumping it does little good.

Senator Tom Cotton, Republican of Arkansas, wrote on Twitter, 'Dump all the Russian vodka and, alongside ammo and missiles, send the empty bottles to Ukraine to use for Molotov cocktails.'"

Looks like he was something similar to the Boston Tea Party. LOL

It makes sense for a retailer not to buy any more booze from Russia, but current inventory has already been purchased so hiding or dumping it does little good.
...which is ok - as long as one feels a twinge of guilt drinking current inventory. :)

Publicly announcing all Russian vodka will be dumped everywhere it is sold and offering refunds for all unopened bottles will help start a boycott.

That makes perfect sense, but you have to admit that the headlines alone should have an impact on Vlad.

It will if you send the empty bottles to Ukraine for molotov cocktails.

This strikes me as entirely silly.

Russia already made their money off any vodka currently sitting on store shelves. These are nothing more than navel gazing attempts to “feel good”

Russia already made their money off any vodka currently sitting on store shelves. These are nothing more than navel gazing attempts to “feel good”
I guess you think no one should boycott anything for that reason.

I guess you think no one should boycott anything for that reason.
I’ve never understood boycotts at the retail level, no.

What would make sense and actually have an impact at this level would be to sell the product at an inflated price and donate the money back to Ukraine.

Not destroy a product you’ve already paid for.

Pretty much, but it’s more practical (much less of a sacrifice) than no longer buying gasoline or diesel made from Russian imported oil. Let’s go Brandon!

In 2021, Russia accounted for 21% of all U.S. gasoline imports, with Canada second at 17%. By value, Russian imports increased 71.05%, which is slightly less than gasoline imports from the world, which increased 80.53%. The Russian total was $12.78 billion.

Good thing my preference is Titos

But all vodka seems so Russian.

A tavern owner in Bend, Oregon said he poured out all of his Russian vodka. A video on the tavern's Facebook page shows the owner pouring out two bottles of Stoli vodka — even though the brand not made in Russia or owned by a Russian company.

Stoli vodka, which is made in Latvia (which is a NATO member country) is owned by a company in Luxembourg that is controlled by Yuri Shefler, a Russian-born billionaire who left Russia, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Pretty much, but it’s more practical (much less of a sacrifice) than no longer buying gasoline or diesel made from Russian imported oil. Let’s go Brandon!

From your article...

Oil and gasoline are complicated markets, so it’s not as simple as flipping a switch, but it’s worth noting that the United States exported $84.94 billion of gasoline and other refined petroleum products in 2021, or about six times as much as those Russian imports.

What will also make it tricky is that our trade with Russia is not particularly balanced, although certainly gasoline and oil imports exacerbate that imbalance.

^^^^^^

Some people really don't get it, as we can see here.

From your article...

Oil and gasoline are complicated markets, so it’s not as simple as flipping a switch, but it’s worth noting that the United States exported $84.94 billion of gasoline and other refined petroleum products in 2021, or about six times as much as those Russian imports.

What will also make it tricky is that our trade with Russia is not particularly balanced, although certainly gasoline and oil imports exacerbate that imbalance.

OK, but so what? The US is still trading with Russia while Biden and Europe pretend to be ‘serious’ about economically sanctioning Russia. Does the fact that US exports rely on Russian imports make it OK to continue to trade with Russia?

^^^^^^

Some people really don't get it, as we can see here.
I get it more than most.

I’d have a gigantic “Russia vodka” event - jack up the prices on all Russian vodka and then donate the money to Ukrainian causes.

Rather than simply tossing it. Actually putting it TO use versus just looking like you’re doing something.

I get it more than most.

I’d have a gigantic “Russia vodka” event - jack up the prices on all Russian vodka and then donate the money to Ukrainian causes.

Rather than simply tossing it. Actually putting it TO use versus just looking like you’re doing something.

Yep, but a two step plan is twice as complicated. ;)

Box them all up and ship them to Ukraine to make molotovs.

OK, but so what? The US is still trading with Russia while Biden and Europe pretend to be ‘serious’ about economically sanctioning Russia. Does the fact that US exports rely on Russian imports make it OK to continue to trade with Russia?

We are not the only ones buying Russian oil and gas... When you have adults in charge, they tend to consider the GLOBAL implications of these types of sanctions. There are plenty of countries who rely on Russian oil and gas to such a degree that stopping this oil and gas from flowing to them would have serious economic impacts on these countries.

Back
Top Bottom