• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Putin’s Strategic Failure and the Risk of Escalation

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

After six days, it is clear that Vladimir Putin’s invasion was based on delusions about Ukraine, the West and Russia. Whatever the outcome on the battlefield, Putin has unleashed forces that weaken his country’s, and his own, position. Firstly, Putin drastically underestimated Ukraine’s cohesion and will to resist. When he declared war, he called on Ukrainian forces to lay down their arms. Many have died rather than surrender, while many Russian soldiers have done the opposite. Doubling down on his delusion, Putin then called on the Ukrainian military to overthrow President Volodymyr Zelensky. Instead, Ukrainians who have never used a gun are now learning to do so, and to make Molotov cocktails, in defence of their country. Putin is inadvertently completing the work he began in 2014 of uniting Ukrainian society and reinforcing its national identity. Secondly, Putin badly underestimated Western cohesion and resolve. Russia now faces a range of sanctions never inflicted on a major economy, notably the freezing of central bank assets. Russia’s aggression – which threatens the wider international order, as well as Western security – enjoys almost no support elsewhere.

Thirdly, Putin underestimated domestic opposition. His war against fellow Slavs is the most unpopular decision he has ever made. The stated aims – to ‘denazify’ a country with a democratically elected Jewish president, and to stop a ‘genocide’ that does not exist – lack credibility. Despite a severely repressed civil society, demonstrations began on the first day of the invasion, with 6,000 arrests made already. The invasion is emerging as a grand strategic mistake. As Ukraine’s resistance, Russia’s international isolation and Putin’s isolation within Russia all deepen, the Kremlin suddenly finds itself much weaker on every political front. This continues a pattern of successive failures. When controlled instability through occupation and the Minsk Accords failed, Putin resorted to compellence. When compellence failed, he went to war. War is now producing even greater adverse effects.

Putin is making serious misjudgements. We are in uncharted and frightening territory.

Putin is making serious misjudgements. We are in uncharted and frightening territory.

Frightening, yes. Uncharted, no. Hitler made misjudgments from the beginning and kept them going throughout the war. Germany greatly benefited, ironically, with the Marshall Plan. The US and Europe learned from their mistake of how they treated Germany after WW1.

I wonder if or when Ukraine gives in at some point to avoid further massive bloodshed and fights as an insurgency.

I wonder if or when Ukraine gives in at some point to avoid further massive bloodshed and fights as an insurgency.

I wonder about that also.

Evacuate Zelenskyy and his government, and then 100% partisan warfare.

Officially giving in doesn't mean the people have, nor will not support a Ukraine resistance of guerilla warfare. IMO, it won't get to that or, if so, Putin will end up defeated, nonetheless.

I wonder about that also.

Evacuate Zelenskyy and his government, and then 100% partisan warfare.

Ukrainian anti Russian partisans vs anti Ukrainian Russian separatists. Apocalypse

The people will fight on until all Russian military units are gone.

Ukrainian anti Russian partisans vs anti Ukrainian Russian separatists. Apocalypse

Before that happens a far greater apocalypse appears to be happening:

Putin called Macron, coldly told him that he wants all of Ukraine and that worst was to come.

Quite clearly, Putin is a madman.

I hope a Russian takes him out and quickly.

Back
Top Bottom