• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Put your money where your mouth is congressman

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Democratic congressman Bill Pascrell was a guest on Hannity and the 2 of them got into a disagreement. Hannity accused the congressman of lying about the Obamacare law, and the congressman insisted that it was Hannity that was lying... To settle the dispute, Hannity offered to wager the congressman $10,000 to their favorite charities... Take 1 guess how the congressman responded.

To see who the liar is, skip to the 5:30 mark:

Is Congress exempted from Obamacare? | Fact Checker

these is no such exemption or special subsidy
the congress critters enjoy the same health plan benefits that i, as a federal retiree, continue to enjoy
as the cited article explains:
Most Americans won’t use Obamacare marketplaces (formerly called exchanges). This is because their employers already offer them insurance, and Obamacare is intended for the uninsured. The federal government offers health insurance to its workers so Congress and its staff would not have had to use Obamacare. Some didn’t think this was right.

hannity owes the congressman's charity $10,000
the chump will welch

That was intense!

When does the work place violence commence?

Democratic congressman Bill Pascrell was a guest on Hannity and the 2 of them got into a disagreement. Hannity accused the congressman of lying about the Obamacare law, and the congressman insisted that it was Hannity that was lying... To settle the dispute, Hannity offered to wager the congressman $10,000 to their favorite charities... Take 1 guess how the congressman responded.

I'm glad the Congressman had the maturity to stay out of a stupid bet like that, **** like that just detracts from the issues.

Also like Bubba said, Congressmen are not exempt they simply already have a health care plan. Just like how I will not be signing up for Obamacare because I already have a healthcare plan through the military.

democratic congressman bill pascrell was a guest on hannity and the 2 of them got into a disagreement. Hannity accused the congressman of lying about the obamacare law, and the congressman insisted that it was hannity that was lying... To settle the dispute, hannity offered to wager the congressman $10,000 to their favorite charities... Take 1 guess how the congressman responded.

lmmfao

$10, 000 is pocket change to either one of these guys. Make the wager $10 million, or who gives a ****.

the congress critters enjoy the same health plan benefits that i, as a federal retiree, continue to enjoy

the chump will welch

I'm glad the Congressman had the maturity to stay out of a stupid bet like that, **** like that just detracts from the issues.

Also like Bubba said, Congressmen are not exempt they simply already have a health care plan. Just like how I will not be signing up for Obamacare because I already have a healthcare plan through the military.

The above posts are correct.

The federal government and enrollees share the cost of the premiums for FEHBP plans. The government’s contribution to premiums is set at 72% of the weighted average premium of all plans in the program, not to exceed 75% of any given plan’s premium.[SUP]8[/SUP]

8. The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (BBA 97, P.L. 105-33) established the current formula for determining the government’s contribution to premiums.

Source

Some may not find it fair that federal employees are offered this insurance deal, but it was not a special provision of PPACA.

I'd bet $10,000 that Hannity wont pay up.

Either that, or he was talking out of his ass... Or unlike Hannity, he's just a cheap bass-turd that wasn't willing to give a damned dime to charity.

$10, 000 is pocket change to either one of these guys. Make the wager $10 million, or who gives a ****.

But who was willing to give 10k to charity, and who wasn't?

Either that, or he was talking out of his ass... Or unlike Hannity, he's just a cheap bass-turd that wasn't willing to give a damned dime to charity.

You know he was right correct? And that Hannity was wrong? You know that right?

Yes, I saw hannity making stuff up and trolling his guest. Hannity flat out lies, and if people are believing him and there is no fixing that sort of stupidity. Faux news is not factual and is quite often caught lying. What needs to be done is to put out real information and the truth, and to get out of fauxland.

But who was willing to give 10k to charity, and who wasn't?

So hannity was willing to make a bet he never would have kept to perpetuate his lie. How does that make it any better? It is not like hannity covers his bets because we are still waiting for him to be waterboarded.

So hannity was willing to make a bet he never would have kept to perpetuate his lie. How does that make it any better? It is not like hannity covers his bets because we are still waiting for him to be waterboarded.

Obviously, you're confused... Hannity is not a liberal tight-wad, he's a conservative. He gives 10's of thousands of dollars to charities every year, as do all the prominant conservative talkers.

Obviously, you're confused... Hannity is not a liberal tight-wad, he's a conservative. He gives 10's of thousands of dollars to charities every year, as do all the prominant conservative talkers.

Just because you drop a dime in the bucket does not make you right or a good person.

the chump will welch
You know he was right correct? And that Hannity was wrong? You know that right?
The above posts are correct.

Some may not find it fair that federal employees are offered this insurance deal, but it was not a special provision of PPACA.
Yes, I saw hannity making stuff up and trolling his guest. Hannity flat out lies, and if people are believing him and there is no fixing that sort of stupidity. Faux news is not factual and is quite often caught lying. What needs to be done is to put out real information and the truth, and to get out of fauxland.
Hang on, not so fast there, my left wingish pardners, sounds like y'all done lassoed a rather large cow patty, certainly not the real cow.

All of you are WRONG, flat out...at best far off course.

First off, even the Congressman in the video agreed that they got the subsidies and said they could give them up if they wanted, yes-no? YES.

Secondly, Congress did indeed get the subsidies just as described by Hannity and that the Congressman wimped out wagering on.

72% subsidy.

Here is what went down, per Reuters:

UPDATE 1-U.S. Congress wins relief on Obamacare health plan subsidies | Reuters

“The decision by the Office of Personnel Management, with Obama's blessing, will prevent the largely unintended loss of healthcare benefits for 535 members of the Senate and House of Representatives and thousands of Capitol Hill staff.

When Congress passed the health reform law known as Obamacare in 2010, an amendment required that lawmakers and their staff members purchase health insurance through the online exchanges that the law created. They would lose generous coverage under the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program.

The amendment's author, Republican Senator Charles Grassley, argued that if Obamacare plans were good enough for the American public, they were good enough for Congress. Democrats, eager to pass the reforms, went along with it.

But it soon became apparent the provision contained no language that allowed federal contributions toward their health plans that cover about 75 percent of the premium costs.
This caused fears that staff would suddenly face sharply higher healthcare costs and leave federal service, causing a "brain drain" on Capitol Hill.

But Wednesday's proposed rule from the OPM, the federal government's human resources agency, means that Congress will escape the most onerous impact of law as it was written.

The OPM said the federal contributions will be allowed to continue for exchange-purchased plans for lawmakers and their staffs, ensuring that those working on Capitol Hill will effectively get the same health contributions as millions of other federal workers who keep their current plan.”

So, to make it simple for y’all... since you do not seem to be able to figure it out for yourselves, Sen.Grassley [R] inserted an amendment, and Democrats wanting to hurry up and pass this stinker of a plan, agreed and added the language to the bill in which Congress and staff were not exempt from Obamacare, but it was written so hastily that they forgot to add back in the huge subsidies that these folks get in their old health care plan… so then Obama and Dems in Congress, with the blessing of the OPM, did an end around and gave themselves back these subsidies that we little people do not get out here.

That simple.

The justbubba article got it right kinda in a round about way, but the main thrust of the article countering that there was no exemption from Obamacare. That was not being argued by Hannity and Pascrell as, with the Grassely [Republican] amendment, Congress and staff were, indeed, made subject to Obamacare.

The Office of Personnel Management ruled the subsidies will be allowed.

Wiseone, sorry, your fact checking was just way way way off base, just tangentially hitting the exemption from Obamacare note, not on the same song at all though having really nothing to do with the 72% subsidies that the Democratic congressman specifically tried to wriggle off the hook about. For one thing your article was published in, as far as one can tell, early 2013 with the sources listed being, at the latest, Jan 2013. This decision by OPM was on August 7, 2013… so, sorry, not even close to being applicable.

Sorry folks, per usual, aaaaaall of you are wrong again.

He's still wrong and I don't see him ponying up this $10k.

He's still wrong and I don't see him ponying up this $10k.
Guess that between the time I submitted the true breakdown proving Hannity was absolutely...and I dislike using this word but it is here so apropos, indubitably correct...that being 6:36PM until 6:58PM when you submitted this, are you saying that was time insufficient to digest the logic...or, did you just miss the post beforehand...or...help me out here...

Besides which, and I fully understand the cake and eat it too mentality of liberals wanting never to have to make the bet...but if they had've actually wagered, which they didn't, the democrat would surely have won [ well, as this case clearly illustrates, that neither is proved ]...and so somehow a true conservative, even though no bet was actually made, remember, should be, in his good heart, motivated by his/her conservative values to understand the value of what might have happened, and to well, just "pony up"... has that about got it, is that your gist, is it?

Lest we forget, be reminded that Hannity was unequivocally the one on the right set of tracks, that there was no actual bet made... and if there had been, a Hannity charity would be the one awaiting, no doubt, awaiting and awaiting for the check to even be in the mail...

Hang on, not so fast there, my left wingish pardners, sounds like y'all done lassoed a rather large cow patty, certainly not the real cow.

All of you are WRONG, flat out...at best far off course.

First off, even the Congressman in the video agreed that they got the subsidies and said they could give them up if they wanted, yes-no? YES.

Secondly, Congress did indeed get the subsidies just as described by Hannity and that the Congressman wimped out wagering on.

72% subsidy.

It's not a subsidy. It simply does not make sense to call it that. The law failed to force Congress to buy insurance on the new exchanges and allowed them to keep the same benefits they've received since the 1990s, that's true, but to make it sound like PPACA establishes the 72% subsidy or whatever it is... that does not appear to be true at all.

As is usually the case, Fox News overlooks all the smartest conservative arguments and goes straight after the dumbest and most inflammatory ones.

It's not a subsidy. It simply does not make sense to call it that. The law failed to force Congress to buy insurance on the new exchanges and allowed them to keep the same benefits they've received since the 1990s, that's true, but to make it sound like PPACA establishes the 72% subsidy or whatever it is... that does not appear to be true at all.

As is usually the case, Fox News overlooks all the smartest conservative arguments and goes straight after the dumbest and most inflammatory ones.
You, individually, might not like what they themselves are calling it, but that is not up to you, is it...

What is a silly statement...why should Fox not ask about that very thing we all want to know, just why is it that Congress did agree to have us all under the broad umbrella we know as obamacare, acquiesce in being subject to it themselves, then want the government to come back and give them something extra ...yet they did not vote for the rest of us to get this same something similarly?

I guess these folks, as they are putting their lives on the line for us everyday...oh wait, that is the military and they don't get paid near as well...well, they are working out in the hot su.....no, that's not them either, mostly air conditioned offices with nice chairs to sit in... well, they are indispensable then, that's it, I mean look at all the great legislation and how well served the public feels by Congre...wait, that's not it either is it...hmmm...oh, well of course, they get that extra "subsidy" because they are the ones that get to make the rules for the rest of us that they don't have to follow themselves, or if they do, its with a helping hand...that has got to be reason, eh? I mean it has to be that obnoxious, could not be logical...

I mean its government for chrissakes...

You, individually, might not like what they themselves are calling it, but that is not up to you, is it...

What is a silly statement...why should Fox not ask about that very thing we all want to know, just why is it that Congress did agree to have us all under the broad umbrella we know as obamacare, acquiesce in being subject to it themselves, then want the government to come back and give them something extra ...yet they did not vote for the rest of us to get this same something similarly?

I guess these folks, as they are putting their lives on the line for us everyday...oh wait, that is the military and they don't get paid near as well...well, they are working out in the hot su.....no, that's not them either, mostly air conditioned offices with nice chairs to sit in... well, they are indispensable then, that's it, I mean look at all the great legislation and how well served the public feels by Congre...wait, that's not it either is it...hmmm...oh, well of course, they get that extra "subsidy" because they are the ones that get to make the rules for the rest of us that they don't have to follow themselves, or if they do, its with a helping hand...that has got to be reason, eh? I mean it has to be that obnoxious, could not be logical...

I mean its government for chrissakes...

What established the 72% of health insurance premiums that Congresspeople do not have to pay? (select the correct answer)

1) The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
2) The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (BBA 97, P.L. 105-33)

What established the 72% of health insurance premiums that Congresspeople do not have to pay? (select the correct answer)

1) The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
2) The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 (BBA 97, P.L. 105-33)
For Congress, it was the OPM allowing it... this is not the same thing, may mimic it, may shadow it, but it is something separate. Sorry to have to break it to ya.

Back
Top Bottom