• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pushing Gabrielle Giffords under the bus

The state has no right to say what the duties of a congresswoman are. The state has no right to say when the office becomes vacant. — Paul Bender, a constitutional scholar and a former dean of the Arizona State University College of Law

Excerpted from “Gabrielle Giffords continues recovery while Arizona statute endangers hold on seat” By Philip Rucker and Dana Hedgpeth, Washington Post Staff Writers, The Washington Post, Monday, January 17, 2011; 9:24 PM
[SIZE="+2"]A[/SIZE] statute buried in state law says that if a public officeholder ceases to "discharge the duties of office for the period of three consecutive months," the office shall be deemed vacant, and that at such time, a special election could be called to fill the opening.

Is it possible that the Arizona Republican-dominated state legislature intends to throw Gabrielle Giffords out of the office and seek a representative more to their liking? Knowing the Arizona GOP: oh, yes, this is very possible.

Technically they could. There is no support to do so in Arizona. There is talk to amend or change that statute. No story here, move on.

mike2810;bt400 said:
Technically they could. There is no support to do so in Arizona. There is talk to amend or change that statute. No story here, move on.

I certainly hope that there wouldn't be any support in Arizona for removing Gabrielle Giffords from her office; but, I don't doubt there are those who failed to replace her during the recent election who would might seek to replace her now that she's suffered a horrific wound in the performance of her office. Arizona has all kinds.

Yet, depending how long she will be out. How can a vacant seat help those she is suspose to represent. Don't get me wrong, I want her to have a full recovery. I hope she will be able to return to whatever she wants to do.
There is nothing in AZ news other than mentioning the statute. Even the Gov hopes she can return and serve the people who elected her.

Back
Top Bottom