• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Purpose of sex

What is the purpose of sex, in your opinion?

• Sex is a sin --- ALL SEX is SIN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If it has multiple purposes it isnt purely for anything.
Mammals have sex to assure their species continues. Sex is made pleasurable even urgent, so the mammals will do it.
Am I missing something here?
I think he was saying that it has multiple purposes and that one can have sex "purely for pleasure" and not procreation. Or rather asking if that is how some are looking at it. Basically pointing out that the purposes an be divorced from one another.

What about "procreation and mutual pleasure only in the context of heterosexual relations"?
Not that the poster can respond, but procreation can only happen in the context of heterosexual relations.

What is the purpose of sex, in your opinion?​

Does it even need to have a purpose?
All things have a purpose, even if that purpose is only, it feels/tastes/smells/whatever good. We could as well ask the purpose of a rose.

To make it simple. Adults are 18 and up.

Sadly, not that simple. The point at which one became an adult, has shifted over the years. Depending upon the time and society, adulthood has been has young as 10. I don't think any society today is that young, but 16 is not uncommon among less modern societies.

That makes zero sense.

Society, through Government, sets the age of consent.

As long as the people involved are over the age of consent It is none of the governments business what people do, with whom, and for what reason.
At what point then do we define what society wants vs what government decrees? How do we deal with divisions within society? This is not an invitation to thread jack into another topic, but an example of division: Look at how divided we are with the abortion issue, and most polls show that a majority of Americans want abortion legal. We can also look at how overall society didn't want abortion legal at the time of RvW, or interracial marriage or many other decisions by law or ruling at the time. Society may have shifted since, but at the time it was not what society wanted. And then there is the issue with the application of your logic. Should society be allowed to set the age of consent through government to 8 years of age? Is it proper to make 10 year olds legal adults? It's not as simple as you want to believe it is.

What, in your opinion, is the purpose of sex?
Are there multiple purposes or only one purpose?

More importantly, do you feel that all of humanity needs to abide by a prescribed purpose for sex in order to avoid (insert ------- here) consequences?
Things don't have innate purposes. People use things for a purpose. Sex can be used for the purpose of procreation, or for pleasure, or for abuse, or probably for other purposes.

Sex evolved the way it has in part randomly, and in party because of natural selection. Being pleasurable, animals mate, and the more they mate the more they procreate, continuing the species. That's not a purpose, that's a function. Sex has a function. People imbues sex with purposes.

People are free to do as they please, and consider sex for whatever purpose they choose.

I've heard it said that sex was the most fun you could have without giggling.

You're doing it wrong.
Giggling may or may not happen, but when it does it never subtracts, only adds.
I can reduce the wife to a giggle box by just nuzzling her ear or neck.
That leads to more fun.

You're doing it wrong.
Giggling may or may not happen, but when it does it never subtracts, only adds.
I can reduce the wife to a giggle box by just nuzzling her ear or neck.
That leads to more fun.
This was simply a quote I read years ago--I think in Rolling Stone--that made me laugh out loud. It's a silly quote but it has stuck with me all these years later.

Not that the poster can respond, but procreation can only happen in the context of heterosexual relations.

Wrong, have you ever heard of "in-vitro-fertilization"?

according to the Musks?

Wrong, have you ever heard of "in-vitro-fertilization"?
I'll concede that the use of "relations" wasn't accurate, but no matter the method you still need a male's sperm and a female's egg. Without both (hence the heterosexual aspect) procreation does not happen. But to my point with regards to the post that responded to, procreation is the only thing that requires a heterosexual framework. And do keep in mind here that I am using the word as the adjective, not the orientation. Such as in the fact that a heterosexual person can engage in homosexual activity and vice versa. The description of the activity does not affect one's orientation.

Back
Top Bottom