• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pure hypothetical but based on Zimmerman case.....

Oceandan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I'm curious. Please, be honest. It's been fun watching this case with all. Even those who disagree and have "alternative" hypothesis. I know many of you will say that's not what happened, I realize that I want to know what you'd do if this is what happened. Here's my question.

You've gotten out of your car while on the phone with NEN. You are on the way back to your car when you are surprised by someone, as it turns out it was the person about which you called NEN. You have your nose broken. The person is now on top of you administering an "MMA style ground and pound". You've yelled for help and no one is coming. You know your head aches from hitting something. It's dark and rainy. If you are legally armed, would you use your weapon to end the encounter?

I'm curious. Please, be honest. It's been fun watching this case with all. Even those who disagree and have "alternative" hypothesis. I know many of you will say that's not what happened, I realize that I want to know what you'd do if this is what happened. Here's my question.

You've gotten out of your car while on the phone with NEN. You are on the way back to your car when you are surprised by someone, as it turns out it was the person about which you called NEN. You have your nose broken. The person is now on top of you administering an "MMA style ground and pound". You've yelled for help and no one is coming. You know your head aches from hitting something. It's dark and rainy. If you are legally armed, would you use your weapon to end the encounter?

Without a doubt.

Hope I never get caught that badly off guard, but anything can happen... yeah, I'd shoot if it seemed necessary to stop a serious unarmed assault. "Grave bodily harm"... anything that might put you in the hospital is GBH.

Yes. But, upon arrival of police (or any other person) I would say no more than you have, explaining that after the encounter you have trouble clearly remembering any other details, would like to receive immediate medical treatment and have lawyer present for any further questioning.

I'm curious. Please, be honest. It's been fun watching this case with all...
OK, I'll be honest. I think it's absolutely sick to consider one person being killed and another having their life pretty much destroyed (regardless of the outcome) as fun. You do realise this isn't a TV show but actually real life?

OK, I'll be honest. I think it's absolutely sick to consider one person being killed and another having their life pretty much destroyed (regardless of the outcome) as fun. You do realise this isn't a TV show but actually real life?

When someone picks a SINGLE word, poorly chosen as it may have been, and COMPLETELY disregards the rest of the post and what was asked, it DEMONSTRATES said person is looking to be offended.
I sincerely apologize for this. I would, in all honesty, suggest you turn off your computer, it's not helping your personal life. It's feeding a destructive circle. Sorry sometimes honesty is difficult.

I don't think it was a badly chosen word. It seems to well represent much of the public and media attitude to this case (though the media would add "profitable"). You were just unlucky enough to be the one to say it straight.

I wouldn't say I'm offended, just disappointed and saddened by human nature and I'm no more concerned about my well-being that that of the people who seem obsessed by every aspect of this case. I suspect they're all going to feel let down by the eventual outcome.

Only someone, as I respectfully stated, seeking to be offended would choose a single word and apply it to the circumstances of the CASE, and not how it was intended, the interaction with fellow humans. It's ironic actually, you claim or at least hint on finding some redeeming aspect of human interaction, yet ATTACK with two posts now, a single word that actually expressed positive human interaction with even those who DISAGREE, on a very emotional subject. That's a very telling aspect of personality.

You know, my friend, sometimes, in the face of enormous tragedy, the BEST healing, or at least the healing needed by many optimistic human nature loving folks, is having a "fun" discussion, with those you most vehemently disagree. It allows us to see the "human" side of the alternate argument.

Absolutely. The only thing that surprises me is that George Zimmerman only fired once.

Let's back up that hypothetical...

You call a stranger in to NEN and ask them send police. That person circles your car with "his hand in his waistband".

Do you get out of the car?

Would I shoot someone to save my life, if that someone were trying to kill me? Yes. Absolutely.

This question goes right to the heart of the matter, for me anyway. Everything else is largely irrelevant.

Fights happen. A lot. There are rules in fights, mostly unwritten, but based on common sense. Don't attack from behind, don't go for the balls (in the beginning anyway, unless he tried to molest someone), and when you get your man down, leave him down and leave him be. Advise him to stay down, and if he gets up put him down again.

You don't kick a man when he's down, and you certainly don't climb on top of him and try to beat in his skull. Bad form, at best. Attempted murder, at worst. If you climb on top of a downed man, who is screaming for help, and beat him in the head, you are trying to kill him (or you don't care one way or the other). The testimony indicates, overwhelmingly, that Martin climbed on top of a downed and helpless Zimmerman. He then tried to kill Zimmerman (or didn't care one way or the other).

If someone tries to kill you, you get to try and kill them back. With whatever means at your disposal. Also one of the unwritten rules.
(actually that one is written, under the heading of self-defense)

So yes. I wouldn't have done many of the things Zimmerman did that night, but I would have done what he did last. Probably a couple-three times.

Abosolutely yes.

Back
Top Bottom