• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pump and dump your job. Do you agree with that premise?

Pump and dump your job?

• Yes, bleed it dry then leave

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No, loyalty is an asset

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
It is described in this video.

I didn't watch the video, but knowing your threads I'm assuming she's a prostitute?

No, but treat your boss like one, even if it's behind his/her back. Take maximum advantage and give as little as possible to keep the paycheck coming in.

I'm gonna need that chick's name for scientific purposes.

No, but treat your boss like one, even if it's behind his/her back. Take maximum advantage and give as little as possible to keep the paycheck coming in.

That is a miserable way to live, leaving things better than you found them (or at least trying) is much more rewarding.

That is a miserable way to live, leaving things better than you found them (or at least trying) is much more rewarding.

There's a time and place for that, where it's appreciated. Namely, user groups and Github as well as Kaggle. Mentor others and they will vouch for your skills. Don't give a credit stealing boss anything worth stealing. Furthermore, if you stand out, your boss will feel threatened and want to get rid of you.

Same as the guy above, I didn't watch the vid, but I do appreciate the summary.

I can say that I have done this type of thing more than once over the years in my career. But, rather than call it pump and dump, I just thought of it as being passive aggressive.

There's a time and place for that, where it's appreciated. Namely, user groups and Github as well as Kaggle. Mentor others and they will vouch for your skills. Don't give a credit stealing boss anything worth stealing. Furthermore, if you stand out, your boss will feel threatened and want to get rid of you.
Or your union mates will give you a lashing...I have been through that....I needed to be taught that it was not the quality of the work that matters.

I stay with my statement none the less.

Men too weak to walk along a path often ask others to straggle with them.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Or your union mates will give you a lashing...I have been through that....I needed to be taught that it was not the quality of the work that matters.

I stay with my statement none the less.

Must have been different than my union. Standing out is working great for me!

Loyalty is not a reason to stay at a job, I think you're mistaking long-term investment with loyalty, they are two distinct things.
Similarly, if you choose a job like a big boy/girl, based on wanting to work there and/or wanting to be your boss (in career terms), then the entire point is to do better than them, and replace them (inside or outside that company), and that often takes time.
Again, not out of loyalty, it's pure self-interest, you are just finding people whose goals align with yours. This is called cooperation, it's a key factor in the success of social animals.

I can see it maybe when you're in school and it's just a job, I get that...kind of. But who wants to start over building all new relationships, trying to figure out who to hitch your wagon to, who to avoid, etc.? Sounds insane, unless it's a thrill thing.

But once you start a career...I think that's a big mistake. Sounds to me like it's what someone does when they are trying to cover up their own pain or weakness. "I'm quitting before they fire me", sort of rationalization.

More importantly I'd say you need to find out what's causing you to behave this way, and maybe get some counseling to help identify and work on it. Please do not spend the best years of your life, treating that life investment as disposable. It makes you in effect, disposal, since you create the world you want to live in.

Agreed, yet there are so many that do pretty much exactly the 'pump and dump'. What's really funny is that while they are there, they are the greatest thing / person around. Once they are gone, and their lack of quality is discovered, they are just silently dropped from any conversation.

I was so disappointed, I had lived at a housing co-op at Michigan State, My Grandpa had been a Michigan farmer often working cooperatively, and I was a Liberal....I believed in the idea of Unions.

More disappointment with unions was had too.

Exactly. If you're not rewarded for good effort:

- you are working for the wrong people
- you are deluding yourself that you made a good effort

Agreed, yet there are so many that do pretty much exactly the 'pump and dump'. What's really funny is that while they are there, they are the greatest thing / person around. Once they are gone, and their lack of quality is discovered, they are just silently dropped from any conversation.

I call that sad actually....that the BS all too often works....that playing politics well is all to often about the only thing that matters.

Exactly. If you're not rewarded for good effort:

- you are working for the wrong people
- you are deluding yourself that you made a good effort

I've always understood what I bring to the table and expect to be compensated accordingly.

More than once I've taken a job that doesn't pay enough contingent on getting what I want when I proved I was worth it. Never took more than a couple of months. Usually management in under 6.

I did peter pan my way to almost 50, but I would not advise others to do so. Its not easy and can screw you if you don't "grow up" before retirement time.

Sure was fun though, and it looks like I pulled off my plan to do my "retirement" time when I was young enough to enjoy it and still be OK in retirement.

Same as the guy above, I didn't watch the vid, but I do appreciate the summary.

I can say that I have done this type of thing more than once over the years in my career. But, rather than call it pump and dump, I just thought of it as being passive aggressive.

The passive aggressive is the pump part. Leaving is the dump part. Contracting is more satisfying in my opinion. Everybody understands that you're going to be there six, maybe nine months which takes away much of the posturing. My kids will be grown soon and hopefully contracting will again be a good option. Client bosses are more likely to give your consulting company a positive review because you are not a threat.

I've always understood what I bring to the table and expect to be compensated accordingly.

More than once I've taken a job that doesn't pay enough contingent on getting what I want when I proved I was worth it. Never took more than a couple of months. Usually management in under 6.

I did peter pan my way to almost 50, but I would not advise others to do so. Its not easy and can screw you if you don't "grow up" before retirement time.

Sure was fun though, and it looks like I pulled off my plan to do my "retirement" time when I was young enough to enjoy it and still be OK in retirement.

The trap to be avoided is to get mired in tasks and roles that don't build your resume. I had a job last year where loyal employees of 10+ or even 15+ years seniority got laid off. Those employees did as they were told and didn't push back against using outdated technology. When the company finally decided to get with the times, they decided that finding people who already knew the current technology was more efficient than training the existing people to update their skills.

In other words, consider yourself as employed by the market or by your profession, not as employed by your company. If you stay valuable to the market and loyal to your profession, your employer is replaceable.

Sorry, that defies all of my values. You under promise and over deliver. You give more than is asked.

OTH, I work for myself.

I call that sad actually....that the BS all too often works....that playing politics well is all to often about the only thing that matters.

OK, Sad then. Interesting to note that those in leadership and management positions don't seem to notice or take note until its already too late.

Another sad thing is how little institutional knowledge and experience is valued.

More than a few times I've seen good people who know the ropes and how to get things in the organization done, are seemingly casually dismissed, their talents, knowledge and experience lost to the organization, only to have the person(s) who take over their responsibilities have to start from square one and re-develop that institutional knowledge and experience before becoming effective, only to be the next victim to be casually dismissed.

I think this a recurring theme and occurrence in corporations.

OK, Sad then. Interesting to note that those in leadership and management positions don't seem to notice or take note until its already too late.

Another sad thing is how little institutional knowledge and experience is valued.

More than a few times I've seen good people who know the ropes and how to get things in the organization done, are seemingly casually dismissed, their talents, knowledge and experience lost to the organization, only to have the person(s) who take over their responsibilities have to start from square one and re-develop that institutional knowledge and experience before becoming effective, only to be the next victim to be casually dismissed.

Exactly! Pass the buck on tasks that mostly teach you proprietary knowledge. Seek out tasks that build your FUNGIBLE knowledge. In other words, skills that are useful in many companies.

The military tends to **** this up too....during the Clinton draw-down it was overwhelming the best and the brightest that took the money offered and transferred to a new career. It never occurred to the brain trust running the operation that this would happen, and it took them years to figure out that it did happen.

Then Iraq happened soonish after....go figure.

The idea is to keep the best and brightest.

Last edited:

Just curious. Are you in tech?

Back
Top Bottom