• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pulled over by police! Drama and excitement!

Jerry

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A few days ago I was cruising on a back highway when a cop pulled me over. I had no idea why. My registration was in order and my car was working fine. The cop stopped behind me, I got out my papers, and instead of approaching my car the cop motioned me to get out and approach him. So I got out, papers in hand, walked up to him and said "I have a permit to carry a concealed hand gun and am currently armed", handing him my permit and license.

He had a quick glance at my permit and license, handed my permit back and asked me to take the passenger seat in his car. So I got in.

I kept quiet. He typed my info into his laptop, pulled up my file, and asked "do you know why I pulled you over?" I didn't. He said I was speeding (very possible, as I have a lead foot when lost in thought and tend to make liberal use of cruse control because of it) He printed out a warning and let me on my way.

The end.

A few days ago I was cruising on a back highway when a cop pulled me over. I had no idea why. My registration was in order and my car was working fine. The cop stopped behind me, I got out my papers, and instead of approaching my car the cop motioned me to get out and approach him. So I got out, papers in hand, walked up to him and said "I have a permit to carry a concealed hand gun and am currently armed", handing him my permit and license.

He had a quick glance at my permit and license, handed my permit back and asked me to take the passenger seat in his car. So I got in.

I kept quiet. He typed my info into his laptop, pulled up my file, and asked "do you know why I pulled you over?" I didn't. He said I was speeding (very possible, as I have a lead foot when lost in thought and tend to make liberal use of cruse control because of it) He printed out a warning and let me on my way.

The end.

Doesn't he already know you have a permit to carry? *(tied to your license plate)

Doesn't he already know you have a permit to carry? *(tied to your license plate)
Possibly, I don't know, but since I travel through states which have a duty to inform regardless, I always inform so that I don't fail to inform when it matters.

Possibly, I don't know, but since I travel through states which have a duty to inform regardless, I always inform so that I don't fail to inform when it matters.

Probably wise.

Speeding is just code word for DWW.

The end.

Odd that he (?) didn't approach your vehicle and made you come back to his cruiser. Odd also, that he had you sit in the front seat while he ran your license?

Weird.

Probably wise.
Police officers don't like surprises when it comes to weapons on person, better just to let them know for the sake of safety.

Odd that he (?) didn't approach your vehicle and made you come back to his cruiser. Odd also, that he had you sit in the front seat while he ran your license?

Weird.
Sitting in the seat with him puzzled me. Louisiana officers are trained to have the driver slowly exit the vehicle as part of the safety protocol(according to my best friend who is a juvenile parole officer). I think that process is in place to have a better view of the person stopped so as to avoid "cabin movements" that could cost an officer their life, and also if there is a vehicle carry weapon taking them out of the area neutralizes the chance of them reaching for it.

Weird.

Once LE knows you have a CCW, they feel more at ease. Have you ever heard of someone with a CCW ever shooting a cop ?

It's like having a NRA sticker on your car. How often does a NRA member commits a crime using a gun ?

Police officers don't like surprises when it comes to weapons on person, better just to let them know for the sake of safety.
I don't have a CHL so I wasn't aware of the "duty to inform" There is no penalty for not doing it but, they appreciate you doing so.

Since 2007 (in TX), it's legal to have a loaded gun in your vehicle, boat or inside your RV as long as it's concealed. Not sure if they want you to declare those or not. I think I'll wait to see if I'm asked before offering up any info. 8)

While going through my CCW course, the instructor stated several times that if you are carrying or have one in the vehicle, present your CCW with your driver's license and registration. Let the LEO ask you where it is, don't offer up the information.

If you are NOT carrying on you or in the vehicle, don't offer it up, as it isn't applicable and it's not information you need to offer up, even though they will see it when they run your license.

It goes under "answer only questions you are asked with simple answers and no details'.

While going through my CCW course, the instructor stated several times that if you are carrying or have one in the vehicle, present your CCW with your driver's license and registration. Let the LEO ask you where it is, don't offer up the information.

If you are NOT carrying on you or in the vehicle, don't offer it up, as it isn't applicable and it's not information you need to offer up, even though they will see it when they run your license.

It goes under "answer only questions you are asked with simple answers and no details'.

I was told/advised the same thing. It really is puzzling though why the police officer would have him sit in his cruiser.

Ah well, better him than me. Sorry Jerry! :D

I was told/advised the same thing. It really is puzzling though why the police officer would have him sit in his cruiser.

Ah well, better him than me. Sorry Jerry! :D

It's been a long time since I've been pulled over, but never once was I invited to sit in the cruiser. I'd have to question that myself.

It's been a long time since I've been pulled over, but never once was I invited to sit in the cruiser. I'd have to question that myself.

What's to question? It simply depends on the training, and possibly the confidence levels of the police officer.

I've been pulled over a few times during the course of my driving career. Sometimes they have me stay in the car, sometimes get out and stand next to it or sit on the curb, and a couple of times I sat in the front seat of the cruiser.

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in Massachusetts, the state has been barred from tying the drivers license/registration database with the gun license database. The two things have nothing to do with each other, so they should be separate.

What's to question? It simply depends on the training, and possibly the confidence levels of the police officer.

I've been pulled over a few times during the course of my driving career. Sometimes they have me stay in the car, sometimes get out and stand next to it or sit on the curb, and a couple of times I sat in the front seat of the cruiser.

My knee-jerk reaction may have to do with gender.... having a female sit in the cruiser could open them up to questions, valid or not......

Here in New England it varies by state. In Connecticut you are REQUIRED to inform any officer you interact with in an official capacity if you are carry a concealed firearm. In New Hampshire or Maine there's no requirement and you're not likely to get much grief. Here in Massachusetts there's no requirement, but it would generally be a good idea to let them know, since the enforcement of laws here is somewhat odd. In Vermont, I'd suggest letting them know, but they're more likely to be like NH or ME. Rhode Island I really can't speak for. Their CCW system is strange - requiring a Letter of Reason and s Shooting Test before a CCW can even be considered for issuance.

All in all, not a bad idea to let the officer know you're carrying but outside of CT (and possibly RI), not a requirement so far as I'm aware here in New England.

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in Massachusetts, the state has been barred from tying the drivers license/registration database with the gun license database. The two things have nothing to do with each other, so they should be separate.

I think that's a good idea however, after knowing your name, the LEO can access the CHL or CCW database.

The gun grabbers would love to have your guns tied to all your other info/licensing.

I've never sat in a police cruiser. Well, except for that one time we won't get into. :D

Seriously though, I would think that's not a good move during a traffic stop (highway or otherwise) to have the person you pulled over sit next to you in a squad car?

Maybe I'm cynical in my old age...

I've never sat in a police cruiser. Well, except for that one time we won't get into. :D

Seriously though, I would think that's not a good move during a traffic stop (highway or otherwise) to have the person you pulled over sit next to you in a squad car?

Maybe I'm cynical in my old age...

I agree, particularly if the person is armed or the officer is handling firearms.

It was some years ago but I was stopped, when asked stated I had a couple firearms in the trunk. One was a beautiful factory tricked out Colt Python target .357 with 10 inch barrel and the other was a Beretta .380 semi-auto both loaded. (I got rid of both since then). He had me sit in the front seat with him in his cruiser while he messed them them and called in the serial numbers off them - both still loaded. He was nuts. I could have overpowered him at any time and instantly had those loaded firearms. It was very difficult to not say to him "are you out of your ****ing mind?" about the situation. Lucky for him I was not a wanted man desperately on run or just crazy. At least unload them first. I wasn't particularly comfortable with how he was handling them either, particularly that Colt. "Yes, officer, it has a very smooth action." Loaded!

I DO understand officers having someone sit in the cruiser with them in SOME situations of bad weather, but usually it's a real bad idea. Any other time I've been in a cruiser I was cuffed in the back. A few times, not many.

Last edited:
Once LE knows you have a CCW, they feel more at ease. Have you ever heard of someone with a CCW ever shooting a cop ?

It's like having a NRA sticker on your car. How often does a NRA member commits a crime using a gun ?

I agree. It's been my experience that once you've told them you're armed, they're more at ease with you.

ALWAYS say if you are carrying if asked to step out even if not required to and ALWAYS say if you have a firearm in a vehicle if the officer asked to look inside and if you agree to allow it.

Back
Top Bottom