• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pulled over by police! Drama and excitement!

I had a run-in with a cop last weekend.

I had gone to a nearby mall, which I had never been to before to buy some new shoes. When I got there, I decided to look at Kohls first, which had its own entrance. When I walked in, I took a quick look around the doors like I usually do for a no weapons sign, and didn't see one.

I didn't find what I wanted, so I went looking at a couple other stores in the mall itself. At some point, the gun in my pocket must have been revealed, because as I was leaving JC Penney, a cop came up and said that one of the other shoppers had told him I had a gun. I said yes, I have a concealed pistol license, and I am carrying. He told me that the mall has a rule not allowing weapons on the premises, and asked if I knew it was against the law to carry there. I told him I was sorry, but this was my first time shopping there, and I had come in through Kohls, and there was no sign on the door. He said "Let's go take a look", so we walked there together, he took a look at the door into Kohls, and saw there was no sign posted. So he just told me to leave it in my car in the future and that was it.

At least he was reasonable about it and not a jerk.

They'll probably have a sign up within a week. :2razz:

At least he was reasonable about it and not a jerk.

Yeah, he was cool about it and very polite through the whole thing.

They'll probably have a sign up within a week. :2razz:

Probably, that's fine though. I respect the right of a private business to control what goes on on their property. I might not agree with them, but I'll abide by the rules if I'm there.

I'm not really sure how that works though. I don't know if Kohls has to have the same rules as the mall, or if theirs can be different. I did notice after I put my gun back in the car and went back in through one of the mall entrances that they did have signs posted.

Probably, that's fine though. I respect the right of a private business to control what goes on on their property. I might not agree with them, but I'll abide by the rules if I'm there.

I'm not really sure how that works though. I don't know if Kohls has to have the same rules as the mall, or if theirs can be different. I did notice after I put my gun back in the car and went back in through one of the mall entrances that they did have signs posted.

In many malls the anchor stores own their own property, so it could very well be different rules. If that is the case, then the sign should be posted at the entrance to the mall as you're leaving Kohl's.

The only place I open carry is on my property - OC is legal in OH.

Concealed carry is perfect for stealth, safety, and convenience.

When away from home, I am not looking to make any statement publicly, just to be safe and left alone.
I guess I'm just not very interested in stelth. There are times I want to be discrete, but the army taught me to carry my weapon openly as a show of force.

In some states the signs hold no legal weight. All they can do is ask you to leave if someone spots the firearm.

Back
Top Bottom