• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pulled over by police! Drama and excitement!

I call bull****. White people don't get pulled over.
Jerry is in the military. If he has a base decal, he is very likely to get pulled over. Cops LIKE pulling over military folks. IF they find something its a pretty fair certainty we are going to get hit with maximum fines. Cuz...we HAVE to pay.

I used to get pulled over fairly regularly (as did several others in the military that worked the grave shift). One of the hazards of being out at 2-4 AM. Id get asked that same question... "Do you know why I pulled you over?" My answer was invariably the same..."To be able to get your face close to mine and see if you can detect alcohol on my breathe and give you an excuse to run a field sobriety and breathalyzer on me?" They would usually do the typical "oh no...they are onto us" smile, ask me to sit tight, go back, do the typical check for outstanding tickets or warrants, and then warn us not to enter a turning lane too soon or some such standard BS.

I don't have a CHL so I wasn't aware of the "duty to inform" There is no penalty for not doing it but, they appreciate you doing so.

Since 2007 (in TX), it's legal to have a loaded gun in your vehicle, boat or inside your RV as long as it's concealed. Not sure if they want you to declare those or not. I think I'll wait to see if I'm asked before offering up any info. 8)
1) I think Louisiana does have a legal requirement to inform, but I don't have my CCW at the moment so I'm not sure if that is a requirement or just a basic good idea but have heard it is required from actual officers(though sometimes they know the law less than citizens).

The second part. I think it's always been legal to vehicle carry here in La. but I know it's currently the law that you can, it is required to declare to an officer for safety reasons in that instance, part of the safety protocol.

Possibly, I don't know, but since I travel through states which have a duty to inform regardless, I always inform so that I don't fail to inform when it matters.

At the least it was good you did as a courtesy to the officer, most of whom usually like to know where all the guns are.

At the least it was good you did as a courtesy to the officer, most of whom usually like to know where all the guns are.

Ironically, I had a similar experience just last week.
I have been carrying since the law went into effect in OH since 2004.
An Ohio State Patrol trooper pulled me over last Thursday for touching the white line twice (narrow road).
I informed him immediately, and had both licenses at the ready.
He only asked where the gun was located (right front pocket), and asked that I keep my hands in view.

He ran my driver license - there were no wants or warrants - and everything was fine.

We wound up chatting for about 10 minutes, and he was very cool about concealed carry.

No ticket, no hassles, no problems - the way it should be.

I agree. It's been my experience that once you've told them you're armed, they're more at ease with you.
Psychology I think explains it. The person who calmly declares they have a weapon is going to be the least likely to attack the officer, the person who is willing to do harm with a weapon tends to conceal it until they think they have the advantage, the honest owner doesn't hide the fact and complies with reasonable requests due to benign intent.

Ironically, I had a similar experience just last week.
I have been carrying since the law went into effect in OH since 2004.
An Ohio State Patrol trooper pulled me over last Thursday for touching the white line twice (narrow road).
I informed him immediately, and had both licenses at the ready.
He only asked where the gun was located (right front pocket), and asked that I keep my hands in view.

He ran my driver license - there were no wants or warrants - and everything was fine.

We wound up chatting for about 10 minutes, and he was very cool about concealed carry.

No ticket, no hassles, no problems - the way it should be.

Good thing I wasn't there, I'd have told him to do a cavity search on you. :mrgreen: You know, for those 40 round clips.

I agree. It's been my experience that once you've told them you're armed, they're more at ease with you.

Aren't you required under the law to inform LE that you are packing and have a CCW ? You are in Mexifornia.

But then again, the libs keep changing the gun laws in Mexifornia every other day hoping that just once they will get it right for once. They're too stupid to look back to realise that California had it right over fifty years ago and that it was the libs who tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

There is an intersection near my home that is a common stop to check for DUI. It's sort of the "back way" out of Helen Ga, a Bavarian themed tourist village in an otherwise dry county, at least up until last year when we voted for beer and wine sales. But anyway, there can be a lot of activity at this intersection with a half dozen (at least) city, county and state police vehicles checking everyone out.

so I got stopped there one morning. Seemed odd that they would be looking for DUIs at 8 in the morning, but I gave the state cop my license, insurance card, registration and carry permit. He asked if I was armed at the moment, I told him I was. He took all the paperwork to his car and returned shortly. Turned out my license was expired. We had moved recently and I had gone online to order a license with my new address on it, I just assumed they renewed it at that point but they had not. He gave me back all my paperwork and told me to take care of that license. Never even asked about the pistol in the center console or the 3 rifles in the back. I was on my way to the range at the time. I agree, I think the carry permit puts them at ease. He didn't even write a warning ticket.

Good thing I wasn't there, I'd have told him to do a cavity search on you. :mrgreen: You know, for those 40 round clips.

With friends like you...

BTW, during your next follow up exam with your doctor, he will be referring you to a proctologist.

Don't worry, as it will be my cousin.

His nickname is Meat Cleaver......;)

Aren't you required under the law to inform LE that you are packing and have a CCW ? You are in Mexifornia.

But then again, the libs keep changing the gun laws in Mexifornia every other day hoping that just once they will get it right for once. They're too stupid to look back to realise that California had it right over fifty years ago and that it was the libs who tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

In most states. Not in Florida, at least when I lived there. I did anyway though.

There is an intersection near my home that is a common stop to check for DUI. It's sort of the "back way" out of Helen Ga, a Bavarian themed tourist village in an otherwise dry county, at least up until last year when we voted for beer and wine sales. But anyway, there can be a lot of activity at this intersection with a half dozen (at least) city, county and state police vehicles checking everyone out.

so I got stopped there one morning. Seemed odd that they would be looking for DUIs at 8 in the morning, but I gave the state cop my license, insurance card, registration and carry permit. He asked if I was armed at the moment, I told him I was. He took all the paperwork to his car and returned shortly. Turned out my license was expired. We had moved recently and I had gone online to order a license with my new address on it, I just assumed they renewed it at that point but they had not. He gave me back all my paperwork and told me to take care of that license. Never even asked about the pistol in the center console or the 3 rifles in the back. I was on my way to the range at the time. I agree, I think the carry permit puts them at ease. He didn't even write a warning ticket.
Some CAN be dicks. I got pulled over way back when at around 3AM. I was moving my kids from Oklahoma and went through a small 1 light town and did a rolling stop. Sure enough...Jr deputy Barney is pissed because he has the late late shift and had nothing better to do at 3 AM and pulled me over. I copped to the failure to come to a complete stop...all is well. Its 3AM, I have my kids all sleeping in the Caravan, a dog, lots of luggage, and he asks the standard question...an weapons or drugs in the car. Weapons yes...drugs no. I explain I have a CCW and also a little yellow card in my wallet signed by the president that allows me to carry armed through airports around the world. Barney still gets me out of the car. Asks the location of the weapon...I tell him and advise him there is a magazine in the weapon but not a round chambered. He proceeds to check the chamber himself...without removing the magazine...and of course chambers a round. We get that squared away. 15 minutes go by while Barney is apparently waking up Betty to do a check. Finally comes back and then asks why I feel the need to carry a weapon. I ask him...why do you? He says...I have to deal with criminals. I say..uh huh...and who does those criminals target before you have to deal with them? He then tells me how dangerous it is to have a loaded gun in the car with children. I reply it was a lot less dangerous before he came along. He gives me my ticket. I pull away...he pulls me back over this time lights accompanied by sirens so of course waking up the kids and freaking them out, advising me to pull out a little more carefully next time.

I shoot with cops regularly. MOST are very cool. Some...no...they can be dicks.

Some CAN be dicks. I got pulled over way back when at around 3AM. I was moving my kids from Oklahoma and went through a small 1 light town and did a rolling stop. Sure enough...Jr deputy Barney is pissed because he has the late late shift and had nothing better to do at 3 AM and pulled me over. I copped to the failure to come to a complete stop...all is well. Its 3AM, I have my kids all sleeping in the Caravan, a dog, lots of luggage, and he asks the standard question...an weapons or drugs in the car. Weapons yes...drugs no. I explain I have a CCW and also a little yellow card in my wallet signed by the president that allows me to carry armed through airports around the world. Barney still gets me out of the car. Asks the location of the weapon...I tell him and advise him there is a magazine in the weapon but not a round chambered. He proceeds to check the chamber himself...without removing the magazine...and of course chambers a round. We get that squared away. 15 minutes go by while Barney is apparently waking up Betty to do a check. Finally comes back and then asks why I feel the need to carry a weapon. I ask him...why do you? He says...I have to deal with criminals. I say..uh huh...and who does those criminals target before you have to deal with them? He then tells me how dangerous it is to have a loaded gun in the car with children. I reply it was a lot less dangerous before he came along. He gives me my ticket. I pull away...he pulls me back over this time lights accompanied by sirens so of course waking up the kids and freaking them out, advising me to pull out a little more carefully next time.

I shoot with cops regularly. MOST are very cool. Some...no...they can be dicks.

Sadly typical.

Nothing like a complete moron with a badge and a gun.

Sitting in the seat with him puzzled me. Louisiana officers are trained to have the driver slowly exit the vehicle as part of the safety protocol(according to my best friend who is a juvenile parole officer). I think that process is in place to have a better view of the person stopped so as to avoid "cabin movements" that could cost an officer their life, and also if there is a vehicle carry weapon taking them out of the area neutralizes the chance of them reaching for it.
Sitting in his car....while armed. It kinda surprised me too. Despite what some think of me on this forum, IRL I come across as a calm, normal guy.

It's been a long time since I've been pulled over, but never once was I invited to sit in the cruiser. I'd have to question that myself.
Well...think about it....as I approached him, he got to size me up. IMO seeing me in full view as I walk towards him is a better way to make a judgment than for him to approach me seated in my car. If I wanted to shoot him he would never see my gun as he walked up until it was to late. Once I'm in the police cruiser, if I tried anything, the cop can pull the ignition key, make a quick exit and lock me in the car. Instant containment. Also cameras watching me.

Last edited:
I think that's because it removes some uncertainties police have to worry about with every stop. Yes, I'm armed, and my telling you so means that I'm not a threat. We can then focus on why I was pulled over and be don with it.

Sadly typical.

Nothing like a complete moron with a badge and a gun.
I would say thats NOT 'typical' but also far too common. Theres 'bad' everything out there unfortunately.

Psychology I think explains it. The person who calmly declares they have a weapon is going to be the least likely to attack the officer, the person who is willing to do harm with a weapon tends to conceal it until they think they have the advantage, the honest owner doesn't hide the fact and complies with reasonable requests due to benign intent.
That's what I think of open-carry: I'm showing you in an nonthreatening way that I'm armed, and so therefore you know that I'm not a threat.

A few days ago I was cruising on a back highway when a cop pulled me over. I had no idea why. My registration was in order and my car was working fine. The cop stopped behind me, I got out my papers, and instead of approaching my car the cop motioned me to get out and approach him. So I got out, papers in hand, walked up to him and said "I have a permit to carry a concealed hand gun and am currently armed", handing him my permit and license.

He had a quick glance at my permit and license, handed my permit back and asked me to take the passenger seat in his car. So I got in.

I kept quiet. He typed my info into his laptop, pulled up my file, and asked "do you know why I pulled you over?" I didn't. He said I was speeding (very possible, as I have a lead foot when lost in thought and tend to make liberal use of cruse control because of it) He printed out a warning and let me on my way.

The end.
Last time I got a speeding ticket (a couple years ago) the cop asked me to get in his car in the passenger seat also. He proceeded to grill me in a similar manner. That was the first time I had had that happen.

I would say thats NOT 'typical' but also far too common. Theres 'bad' everything out there unfortunately.

I meant typical for the moron contingent.

That's what I think of open-carry: I'm showing you in an nonthreatening way that I'm armed, and so therefore you know that I'm not a threat.
Absolutely. Look at the way most armed robberies actually go down, most of the weapons produced are pocket carried like knives or handguns. Very few times do you actually see one develop with a perp taking the weapon in already in hand.

Absolutely. Look at the way most armed robberies actually go down, most of the weapons produced are pocket carried like knives or handguns. Very few times do you actually see one develop with a perp taking the weapon in already in hand.

The only place I open carry is on my property - OC is legal in OH.

Concealed carry is perfect for stealth, safety, and convenience.

When away from home, I am not looking to make any statement publicly, just to be safe and left alone.

The only place I open carry is on my property - OC is legal in OH.

Concealed carry is perfect for stealth, safety, and convenience.

When away from home, I am not looking to make any statement publicly, just to be safe and left alone.
True, but you also aren't of ill intent. That was speaking to a very specific set of criminals who use weapons to enhance their chances of succeeding at a crime. Those who mean harm with a weapon don't want you to know about it until it's too late, just like those who mean no harm don't want the former to know about it so that they can't pick a "first, best" target easily.

True, but you also aren't of ill intent. That was speaking to a very specific set of criminals who use weapons to enhance their chances of succeeding at a crime. Those who mean harm with a weapon don't want you to know about it until it's too late, just like those who mean no harm don't want the former to know about it so that they can't pick a "first, best" target easily.

Ah, I see.

Gottcha.

I had a run-in with a cop last weekend.

I had gone to a nearby mall, which I had never been to before to buy some new shoes. When I got there, I decided to look at Kohls first, which had its own entrance. When I walked in, I took a quick look around the doors like I usually do for a no weapons sign, and didn't see one.

I didn't find what I wanted, so I went looking at a couple other stores in the mall itself. At some point, the gun in my pocket must have been revealed, because as I was leaving JC Penney, a cop came up and said that one of the other shoppers had told him I had a gun. I said yes, I have a concealed pistol license, and I am carrying. He told me that the mall has a rule not allowing weapons on the premises, and asked if I knew it was against the law to carry there. I told him I was sorry, but this was my first time shopping there, and I had come in through Kohls, and there was no sign on the door. He said "Let's go take a look", so we walked there together, he took a look at the door into Kohls, and saw there was no sign posted. So he just told me to leave it in my car in the future and that was it.

Back
Top Bottom