• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Puerto Rican Statehood due to government shutdown!

It lets them have a say in who rules them.
Ah come on. Really?
You did't get the funny?

"I grant Puerto Rico independence!"​

I can't grant them anything, so it didn't do any good.

And I, an actual Citizen of a State, are saying we don't need or want PR to be a State.

Seek your independence and skidadle.

Well, if that is how you feel, can you please explain why you don't want PR to be a state?

well i guess he can, but maybe he should be a button maker, instead of a smiley face, he can put down "world peace"

Works for me.

I wonder how many of those buttons it would take to have any measurable effect on all of the fighting and dying that is going on right now on this planet.

Ah come on. Really?
You did't get the funny?

"I grant Puerto Rico independence!"​

I can't grant them anything, so it didn't do any good.

LOL I did, but I thought it would be silly to point out the obvious. :lol:

Wake up people! Don't fight for something simply for the sake of fighting it! That is what is what the tea party is doing right now! You see, the right doesn't stand for principle--barack obama, that is how you stand for what you believe in--no, the right stands against those who have principle! They are the real looters that ayn rand was talking about! We can stand together not only as one country, but one race, and one world! We can transcend these petty differences right now!

Well, if that is how you feel, can you please explain why you don't want PR to be a state?

Because I want Puerto Rico independence! For Puerto Rico to be it's own independent country.

So, go ahead and call me a naive when I talk about World Peace, but don't hold it against me that I believed Barack Obama when he spoke during the DNC and said that all of this was thanks to me!

Works for me.

I wonder how many of those buttons it would take to have any measurable effect on all of the fighting and dying that is going on right now on this planet.

since there has been fighting on our world since the begging of mankind, as you said .....i dont see peace in out time, or signs, buttons, of speeches making an end to hostile actions.

because i want puerto rico independence! For puerto rico to be it's own independent country.

but here is the truth: America will not grant puerto rico independence and you know it's true, so, therefore, it must be a state!

That is what is what the tea party is doing right now! You see, the right doesn't stand for principle--barack obama, that is how you stand for what you believe in--no, the right stands against those who have principle! They are the real looters that ayn rand was talking about! We can stand together not only as one country, but one race, and one world! We can transcend these petty differences right now!
You wake up.
It ain't gonna happen.

And your knowledge of the Tea Party is even more lacking than your thoughts on world peace.

Lest the people wake up and realize that America is unjust, which would be bad for world peace...

Okay, fine, I'll explain: For the first time in the history of mankind, world peace, which, it turns out, is not just some author's fairy tale utopia, is in our sights! So, you see, while it might not be pretty, the point still remains that, due to what happened in congress, we must now have a national conversation about Puerto Rican statehood! And every second they delay talking about it, is just making my case stronger!; I have the ability to open up a greater forum on civil rights here, destroying the tea party in the process! That is the importance of this tiny island in the Caribbean Sea to the rest of the world; however, even if you don't believe me about world peace, then think about what is fair: is it fair that Puerto Ricans are affected by things like the Affordable Care Act and yet, due to their territorial status, they can't vote in presidential elections; think about all the small businesses they have in Old San Juan--I'm talking about goods and products that you can't find at Wallmart--Puerto Rico could, not only help restart our economy, but build a bridge into Latin America; and, guess what? According to a non-binding referendum of Puerto Ricans, 61% said they were in favor of Puerto Rican statehood. I have now made an effective case why Puerto Rican statehood deserves to be a national issue, so why won't they talk about it? These are the issues that matter right now!

Why do we need to tap into Latin America in some figurative sense? What does this have to do with the government taking a vacation?

I don't see the point you're trying to make.

If they become state #51 it would be no different than when Hawaii became state #50. :shrug: It's not going to alter anything, shift anything, do anything other than just giving us another state.

Lest the people wake up and realize that America is unjust, which would be bad for world peace...

So, that you all realize why no one will talk about Puerto Rico: BECAUSE THEY WILL NEVER GRANT IT INDEPENDENCE, AND AS SOON AS PUERTO RICANS REALIZE THIS THERE WILL BE PROBLEMS!!!

The idea that we're some evil entity keeping the rest of the world from living in comfortable peace is bull**** - and you probably know this and just don't want to say it.

but here is the truth: America will not grant puerto rico independence and you know it's true, so, therefore, it must be a state!
:naughty
No!
There is no must to it.
Nor is there definitely no independence in your future. Saying America wont let it happen is foolish.

Why do we need to tap into Latin America in some figurative sense? What does this have to do with the government taking a vacation?

I don't see the point you're trying to make.

If they become state #51 it would be no different than when Hawaii became state #50. :shrug: It's not going to alter anything, shift anything, do anything other than just giving us another state.

What do you mean it would do nothing? IT WOULD GIVE THESE PEOPLE A VOICE, AND A VOTE!!!

It really bothers me when I see new posters bullied by multiple people. At least have some respect. He's made some good points. I don't agree with the bits about the tea party because I think a lot of folks in the tea party would agree that it's not right PR pays taxes, but isn't properly represented.

What do you mean it would do nothing? IT WOULD GIVE THESE PEOPLE A VOICE, AND A VOTE!!!

Yeah - I'm not opposing that.

You seemed like you were trying to make it into a dramatic change for all of the US with phrases like 'a land bridge into Latin America' and such.

Your point: they're a commonwealth and need to become a state.
That has nothing to do with politics, the government shutdown, or the economy - etc etc etc.

Puerto Rico is like a Los Angeles surrounded by water.

One L.A. is already too much for a country to handle.

Well, except for the really cool rain forest on top of a mountain in PR, and the awesome old forts, artillery emplacements and lookout spots scattered around the island, and the fact the PR is an island in the Atlantic and LA a city on the pacific coast. In fact, they are almost nothing alike.

Saying America wont let it happen is foolish.

Well, either way you look at it, this still deserves to be a national issue; more so than repealing the affordable care act...

And I, an actual Citizen of a State, are saying we don't need or want PR to be a State.

Seek your independence and skidadle.

Why? What would be the harm in either accepting PR as the country's 51 state or granting its independence?

I admit I don't know that much about the island territory, but I have a couple of co-workers and a friend who are Puerto Rican and they've voiced similar concerns over their statehood as Old English has. Mostly what I've read in this thread is flat out dissent over the issue of PR's statehood or independence without any real rational for denying such. I'd like to know why the outright resistance to the idea?

Really?
Which ones?

When he said what about taxation without representation. It's not right that they pay taxes like the rest of us, contribute to our causes, but have no real say in our politics.

Yeah - I'm not opposing that.

You seemed like you were trying to make it into a dramatic change for all of the US with phrases like 'a land bridge into Latin America' and such.

Your point: they're a commonwealth and need to become a state.
That has nothing to do with politics, the government shutdown, or the economy - etc etc etc.

It does though because is it fair that the tea party has the ability to shut down the government while Puerto Ricans, who depend on the US government don't get a say in the matter?

Well, either way you look at it, this still deserves to be a national issue; more so than repealing the affordable care act...

I don't think it's right to lump those two together. They are completely different issues. I whole-heartedly think Puerto Rico should be a state, but that is an entirely different issue than health care. Also, I think you would find many tea party members completely agreeing with you that no taxation without representation is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom