• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Publish "Victims" Names in Rape Cases?

Should rape "victim's" names ber made public?

• Yes, all accusers names should be made public.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No, they shouldn't.

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters

alphamale

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In Orange County, California, the son of a deputy sheriff (and two other men) are about to be sentenced for raping (with objects) a woman. The woman's name was withheld by the news media. But in other cases, where a charge of rape turns out to be false (e.g. Kobe Bryant) of course the false accuser's name was still with held. Why should this be done? To protect the supposed victim's "reputation"? What about the supposed perpetrator's reputation? I say that, as with all other crimes, all names should be made public. What do you say?

alphamale said:
In Orange County, California, the son of a deputy sheriff (and two other men) are about to be sentenced for raping (with objects) a woman. The woman's name was withheld by the news media. But in other cases, where a charge of rape turns out to be false (e.g. Kobe Bryant) of course the false accuser's name was still with held. Why should this be done? To protect the supposed victim's "reputation"? What about the supposed perpetrator's reputation? I say that, as with all other crimes, all names should be made public. What do you say?

I voted no. Not enough women come forward to prosecute as it is. Publishing their names would make that number even smaller.

Just because someone is innocent, doesn't mean that they weren't guilty. One only has to look at OJ to see that.

alphamale said:

I beleave that if accused's name is revealed then so should the accuser's name.
Because guilt has not been established,so why is okay to blast the accused's name all ovewr the air and not the accuser's?
The accuser can be the town doorknob(everybody had a turn)for all we know and have malicious reasons for accusing someone of rape.People can be evil.
Unless there are bruises on the alledged victim rape cases are pretty much a "her word against his".A person's character should come into play when evidence is circumstancial and there is no bruises,cuts or anything else to signal it was a forced rape case.

I can see why a victim would not want their name to be public knowledge however unless both the victim and the accused names can be kept private then neither should be.

I don't belive that any names of either accused or accuser should be released until a verdict has been reached

The accused does have the right to face their accuser in a court of law, but there is absolutley no reason to make these names public.

You want sensationalism? Go buy a National Enquirer. Keep the victims' name out of it...sheesh.

talloulou said:
I can see why a victim would not want their name to be public knowledge however unless both the victim and the accused names can be kept private then neither should be.

my thoughts exactly
I get the reason behind protecting the victims identity
but they wanted equal rights under the law, they should have them all, including being identified

Not reporting a rape simply because one would be identified shows weakness of the female gender
which is why they enjoy being dominated by their man :doh

my thoughts exactly
but they wanted equal rights under the law, they should have them all, including being identified

Not reporting a rape simply because one would be identified shows weakness of the female gender
which is why they enjoy being dominated by their man
instead of releasing the victims names why not just not release either the victims or the accused names?

alphamale said:
Not in cases where the rapist is tried and acquitted, but when the accusation of rape is proven false, the accuser's name should be made public.

In all cases other than said slander, the victim's name should be witheld so that victims do not fear reporting crime.

I think yes.............That might cut down the number of false rapes that are reported........

The accused has a right to face his accuser. Likewise, if the accused has to have his life dragged into public scrutiny and through the mud, the accuser should have to be subjected to the public eye as well.

Anonymity may make rape victims more likely to report rape, but that isn't all that needs to be considered. Anonymity also allows false/malicious allegations to be made, ruining a person's life, without any consequences for the accuser.

Putting your name on the record and putting your credibility up to be examined by the public is difficult in the prosecution of ANY crime, rape should be no exception.

aquapub said:
The accused has a right to face his accuser. Likewise, if the accused has to have his life dragged into public scrutiny and through the mud, the accuser should have to be subjected to the public eye as well.

Anonymity may make rape victims more likely to report rape, but that isn't all that needs to be considered. Anonymity also allows false/malicious allegations to be made, ruining a person's life, without any consequences for the accuser.

Putting your name on the record and putting your credibility up to be examined by the public is difficult in the prosecution of ANY crime, rape should be no exception.

You make an excellent point.

Rape cases are not simple.Becasue the only thing the accused DNA inside the accuser proves is that they had sex.If the alledged victim was child then it is a open shut case and it is easy to tell that the accused is guilty.Cases involving two adults are not that simple.Credibility is very improtant,a person character is very important, and a person past activities is very important in most of these rape case,becasue it is her word against his or his word against hers.

hipsterdufus said:
I voted no. Not enough women come forward to prosecute as it is. Publishing their names would make that number even smaller.

Just because someone is innocent, doesn't mean that they weren't guilty. One only has to look at OJ to see that.

If the problem is not enough women come forward, then women should be encouraged to come forward, not violate the equal protection of the law.

Hoot said:
The accused does have the right to face their accuser in a court of law, but there is absolutley no reason to make these names public.

How about the constitution's guarantee of a public trial? "Public trial" meant nothing is secret - and least of all the accuser's name.

You want sensationalism? Go buy a National Enquirer. Keep the victims' name out of it...sheesh.

Sensationalism??? What are you talking about?? What I want is the equal protection of the law.

DeeJayH said:
my thoughts exactly

which is why they enjoy being dominated by their man :doh

What the hell? This is just a matter of feminism gone mad to you? :shock: That's sick, and a frightening way of looking at the issue. Gender should have nothing to do with this, any more than any other brutal crime. Men are victims of sexual assault, too. They're even less likely to report it than women. Does that show weakness and a desire for domination, too? :roll:

What does equal protection under the law have to do with this? Isn't the point that you're meant to be protecting the victim, here?

jamesrage said:
Credibility is very improtant,a person character is very important, and a person past activities is very important in most of these rape case,becasue it is her word against his or his word against hers.

Oh, God. Please don't tell me you're one of the "Only slutty women get raped, and they deserve it," crowd.

vergiss said:
What the hell? This is just a matter of feminism gone mad to you? :shock: That's sick, and a frightening way of looking at the issue. Gender should have nothing to do with this, any more than any other brutal crime. Men are victims of sexual assault, too. They're even less likely to report it than women. Does that show weakness and a desire for domination, too? :roll:

What does equal protection under the law have to do with this? Isn't the point that you're meant to be protecting the victim, here?

my response was a joke
hence the :doh smiley at the end of my absurd rant

vergiss said:
Oh, God. Please don't tell me you're one of the "Only slutty women get raped, and they deserve it," crowd.

You are the juror and there is no hard evidence,who the **** do you beleave is telling the truth?

jamesrage said:
You are the juror and there is no hard evidence,who the **** do you beleave is telling the truth?

So you do believe only slutty women get raped?

oohh this is a real tough one. for a women who truly got raped it would be tough not only to live through the rape but then have everyone know about it. I would have to agree that it should go through the courts and only if it turns out she lied should her name be public.
I know someone who was truly raped and the guy got off because the police screwed up the evidence and the guy had a good laywer to get him off. It really pisses me off and whenever I hear about women faking it I want to slap them silly because that's one of the worst things a woman could do.

Morons,

I have a friend who was brutally raped by a guy she dumped. They were not intimate and he threatened to make her undesirable to other men if she dumped him. Three months after she cut him loose, he waited for her at her house. He made her open her front door and he took her inside by knife point and raped her. He commenced to beat her about the face to pile on insult. After he was finished with her, he made her strip down to bare nakedness and he forced her outside where he locked her out of the house. She had to walk over to her neighbor's house (whom she did not know) and ask for help.
After the arrest was made and a short time later, it was discovered that he gave her herpes ("undesirable to other men"). This was not raised during the trial, because she was embarrassed about it.

She has had one boyfriend since, in whom she was not intimate with. Before this event would occur she confided to him that she had a disease and he dumped her that very instant. They had been going out for two months. This was eight years ago. She is beautiful, 5ft 2in, and weighs 115 pounds and she absolutely refuses to be embarrassed about her condition ever again.

I believe that the least our fuc*ed up "politically correct" society can do for her was to keep her name out of the headlines and out of the minds of the "National Enquirer types" that are looking for their cheap thrill of the day. The event is embarrasing enough without plastering it all over the minds of her friends, co-workers, and neighbors so that she has to re-live it every time one of them feels the need to project sympathy.

vergiss said:

Then no disclosure until there is a verdict. If the charges is found to be false then the accusers name is released. IF the charges are found to be true and there is a conviction then the accused name is released. BUt until everything is finished then there should be no names released. I see no reason to ruin one persons name if the accusations are false

vergiss said:
So you do believe only slutty women get raped?

No I do not beleave only slutty women get raped.

Now if you a juror in one of these cases and there is no hard evidence what so ever the accused raped the accuser, how do you come to the conclusion who is telling the you truth?

alphamale said:

I just don't see the benefit of publishing the names. I think the drive-by media influences juries to much as it is.

I believe that the least our fuc*ed up "politically correct" society can do for her was to keep her name out of the headlines and out of the minds of the "National Enquirer types" that are looking for their cheap thrill of the day. The event is embarrasing enough without plastering it all over the minds of her friends, co-workers, and neighbors so that she has to re-live it every time one of them feels the need to project sympathy.

Talk to any police chief of a medium or larger city, and he'll tell you that false rape accusations occur all the time. My brother was a victim of such an accusation - he wasn't charged officially in court, but the false accusation followed him around for a long time. But that's fine with you - women can lie AND have their identity concealed.

Scenario, A couple go out on a date........They both get wasted and end back in his apartment and engage in sex..........The next morning the woman wakes up and is embarrassed by the whole thing, calls the police and accuses her date of rape...She tells the police she can't remember anything except waking up in bed with him.........

Question: Is that rape?

Back
Top Bottom