• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public school field trip to a mosque

As a parent and a former teacher I say "**** the field trips". Why can't johnny read? because he spends too much time going on these bull**** field trips. I always viewed field trips as primarily a way for lazy teachers to get out of the classroom and not have to actually teach for a day.

The last semester my two youngest kids were in public school (we home school now) between the two of them they spent at least 20 days out of the classroom on "field trips". they went to the freakin zoo, they went to see plays at the local theater, they went to every single freakin museum within a 100 mile radius. Hell, they even spent a day at the freakin "cook's pest control museum of natural science" looking at all the varieties of **** roaches.

As for this particular field trip, I have only one question. Anyone care to speculate on the amount of hell that would be being raised if it had been muslim kids taken to a catholic church and "given the opportunity" to attend mass?

seems to me parents don't have to sign a permission slip if they don't feel it's appropriate. and it's too bad you don't feel museums and plays and zoos are of no educational value, i'm pretty sure your parents felt the same.

Maybe,

let me rephrase:

only the men, the woman from a distance....

Still innacurate. The parents, regardless fo gender, were invited to come to the field trip and they were all informed that the kids would be observing the midday prayer. The women also observed the prayer, as evidenced by the video. Thus, "only the men" is not at all accurate. Apaprently the women were segregated, but I'm not sure if this counts as dissallowing participation.

Also, because we know that at least some parents were present (the one who made the video), we have no idea if the parents of the kids who actually participated were present or not.

i wouldn't want my kid around this sort of discrimination.

Neither would I. I would have researched the mosque and then not signed the permission slip.

seems to me parents don't have to sign a permission slip if they don't feel it's appropriate.

Seems to me when the school lies to the parents to trick them into signing a permission slip there should be some legal reprecussion against the school. What part of "the trip was sold to the parents as a "history" lesson" don't you understand?

and it's too bad you don't feel museums and plays and zoos are of no educational value, i'm pretty sure your parents felt the same

they aren't when they take the place of learning to read, write and do basic math. And yeah, my parent felt the same....that's why we went to the zoo, plays and museums on the weekends and my teachers actually taught me to think. Too bad yours didn't. :lol:

Seems to me when the school lies to the parents to trick them into signing a permission slip there should be some legal reprecussion against the school. What part of "the trip was sold to the parents as a "history" lesson" don't you understand?

In the video it states that the trip was to look at the architecture, learn about Islam and observe the midday prayer, the article and the video are in contradiction.

Last edited:
Separate but equal! :thumbs:

More like
Separate and unequal.
It's my understanding that there are only 30% or so of mosques in America where men and women are allowed to pray together.
.Others, women must pray in another area or behind a partition. I doubt these areas are equal to the areas the men are praying in.

Last edited:
More like
Separate and unequal.
It's my understanding that there are only a few mosques in America where men and women are allowed to pray together.
Others discourage women from entering the mosque. Those that do must pray in another area or behind a partition. I doubt these areas are equal to the areas the men are praying in.

so what? don't become a muslim.

they aren't when they take the place of learning to read, write and do basic math. And yeah, my parent felt the same....that's why we went to the zoo, plays and museums on the weekends and my teachers actually taught me to think. Too bad yours didn't. :lol:

sorry, i'm not taking anything the blaze reports as gospel. too bad you do.

Do parents still have to sign permission slips for field trips like they did when I was a kid?

We get a blanket form at the beginning of every school year asking if our child has permission to go on field trips throughout the year. There are no individual slips for each trip after that.

As a parent and a former teacher I say "**** the field trips". Why can't johnny read? because he spends too much time going on these bull**** field trips. I always viewed field trips as primarily a way for lazy teachers to get out of the classroom and not have to actually teach for a day.

The last semester my two youngest kids were in public school (we home school now) between the two of them they spent at least 20 days out of the classroom on "field trips". they went to the freakin zoo, they went to see plays at the local theater, they went to every single freakin museum within a 100 mile radius. Hell, they even spent a day at the freakin "cook's pest control museum of natural science" looking at all the varieties of **** roaches.

As for this particular field trip, I have only one question. Anyone care to speculate on the amount of hell that would be being raised if it had been muslim kids taken to a catholic church and "given the opportunity" to attend mass?

I thanked your post because of your last sentence. Actually, remove "muslim," and a stink would still be raised. The rest I disagree with as I see value in field trips. I think kids learn a lot on those outings. Sometimes my son has gone to places where we've already gone, and sometimes he tells me about something I didn't know about. Then we have a new place to visit together later.

More like
Separate and unequal.
It's my understanding that there are only 30% or so of mosques in America where men and women are allowed to pray together.
.Others, women must pray in another area or behind a partition. I doubt these areas are equal to the areas the men are praying in.

Unfortunately, that is one of the problems of Islam. It does not recognize certain fundamental human rights.

Unfortunately, that is one of the problems of Islam. It does not recognize certain fundamental human rights.

So why would our public schools even bother with it? I don't want anyone teaching my kid that women are second class citizens.

So why would our public schools even bother with it? I don't want anyone teaching my kid that women are second class citizens.

As I posted previously, schools should stay out of this subject entirely. This is something that should always be up to the parents.

By that logic, American schools shouldn't teach anything about Catholicism, Mormonism, Apartheid, Jim Crowe, and pre-sufferage American History. or any other time and place in history when people haven't been equal.

By that logic, American schools shouldn't teach anything about Catholicism, Mormonism, Apartheid, Jim Crowe, and pre-sufferage American History. or any other time and place in history when people haven't been equal.

Their is a difference between teaching history and teaching religion.

Back
Top Bottom