• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public school field trip to a mosque

Ya God forbid they learn something about Islam. And sense they werent forced to participate then no there's nothing wrong with it. I bet they just wanted to take part because kids like to experience new things and probably found it interesting being in a Mosque and seeing so many different things.

Mosque Shock: School Rocked by Field Trip Vid of Kids Bowing to Allah | The Blaze

1. What are your thoughts on public school field trips to religious places?

2. Should parents be angry if their child chose to participate in praying to Allah?

IDK, I think the title is a bit heavy handed to say the least. I think a field trip to the mosque could have been a valuable learning lesson but they definitely crossed the lines if they asked any of the kids to pray with them or something, though I couldn't find anyone saying that the kids were forced or even asked to pray. There's a public school around here that takes a field trip to a very old church around here and the kids get a tour of the history of the church and stuff. Doesn't bother me as long as there's no prosthelytizing.

1. I have no problem with it, some religious buildings are magnificent, and mosques generally have nice architecture.

2. If they are, they should blame their kids, the kids weren't forced to participate, and chose to do it.

When I was at school, I went to St. Pauls cathedral and St. Patricks cathedral and the class sat in on the services, there's nothing wrong with seeing religion in practice, it can be a great learning experience.

To answer both questions; If I was a parent I would be pissed and call for the teacher's firing. The state has no right to pick my pocket to the collectivist claptrap of organized religion on my kid. Thats my job.

To answer both questions; If I was a parent I would be pissed and call for the teacher's firing. The state has no right to pick my pocket to the collectivist claptrap of organized religion on my kid. Thats my job.

If you were a parent you could've just stopped your kid from going to the mosque in the first place if it bothered you.

I have no problem with field trips to religous sites. That's history. The problem is when they're asked or forced to participate in worship and/or preached to. That should be a decision made by the parent, not school officials or some other student's parent serving as a chaperone.

All you need to know about the appropriateness of this field trip:

from the link:

sold to parents as a history lesson

However, only male students were given the opportunity to participate — the female students and female chaperons had to watch from a distance:

Mosque Shock: School Rocked by Field Trip Vid of Kids Bowing to Allah | The Blaze

1. What are your thoughts on public school field trips to religious places?

2. Should parents be angry if their child chose to participate in praying to Allah?

Kids don't need to go on public school field trips to learn about religious places. Or different religions. Does it make sense to take children to see snake handlers' religions first-hand? Wiccans? Forget the day trip and, instead, devote that time to learn about five different religions. Time wasted. The fact that the girls were segregated from the service is objectionable to me. I'd be mad as hell. Very poor judgement, imo.

I have no problem with field trips to religous sites. That's history. The problem is when they're asked or forced to participate in worship and/or preached to. That should be a decision made by the parent, not school officials or some other student's parent serving as a chaperone.

Agreed.

Out of curiousity, do you agree that there should be no public prayer in school? If anyone is against what happened here it seems as though they should also be against prayer in school also.

Kids don't need to go on public school field trips to learn about religious places. Or different religions. Does it make sense to take children to see snake handlers' religions first-hand? Wiccans? Forget the day trip and, instead, devote that time to learn about five different religions. Time wasted. The fact that the girls were segregated from the service is objectionable to me. I'd be mad as hell. Very poor judgement, imo.

Yea, it was poor judgement, even the school principal or school intendant said that in the article. I still see no problem in sending the kids there if there's no preaching to the kids or forcing them to pray involved.

Do parents still have to sign permission slips for field trips like they did when I was a kid?

All you need to know about the appropriateness of this field trip:

from the link:

I think that's a discrimination lawsuit right there...

Funny thing is, if this trip was to a church, I bet some of the posters here who claim "no problem" would be all butthurt over it. :lol:

I don't remember any field trips like this.
Let me get this straight. We take religion out of our public schools and then take the school to the religion.
How many kids would refuse to participate? You know how kids are. They wouldn't want to stand out so they are going to go along with what the majority is doing.
So when are the Catholic, Mormon, and Jewish field trips planned.

Sorry if I'm wrong about what this is. I didn't click on link because I can't watch the video. I have a feeling I might get to see it on FOX sometime though. :)

Do parents still have to sign permission slips for field trips like they did when I was a kid?

Yep, the video in the article says that the parents were notified in a permission slip that it was to observe the midday prayer, and parents were invited to come too.

As a parent and a former teacher I say "**** the field trips". Why can't johnny read? because he spends too much time going on these bull**** field trips. I always viewed field trips as primarily a way for lazy teachers to get out of the classroom and not have to actually teach for a day.

The last semester my two youngest kids were in public school (we home school now) between the two of them they spent at least 20 days out of the classroom on "field trips". they went to the freakin zoo, they went to see plays at the local theater, they went to every single freakin museum within a 100 mile radius. Hell, they even spent a day at the freakin "cook's pest control museum of natural science" looking at all the varieties of **** roaches.

As for this particular field trip, I have only one question. Anyone care to speculate on the amount of hell that would be being raised if it had been muslim kids taken to a catholic church and "given the opportunity" to attend mass?

Agreed.

Out of curiousity, do you agree that there should be no public prayer in school? If anyone is against what happened here it seems as though they should also be against prayer in school also.

I do not think administrators or teachers should lead prayers at school. Student-led prayers are perfectly fine. We did it my 8th grade year when one of our classmates died suddenly. I also remember there being a tornado warning during high school and we all gathered in the locker room showers and a girl lead a prayer. It was very calming.

I wouldn't care about it if it were relevant to the coursework. For example, it would probably be a useful experience if learning about world cultures and comparative religion.

There is nothing wrong with prayer in school, so long as it's personal, individual, quiet, and doesn't disrupt the education process. Students are at school to learn, not to hold sermons.

As a parent and a former teacher I say "**** the field trips". Why can't johnny read? because he spends too much time going on these bull**** field trips. I always viewed field trips as primarily a way for lazy teachers to get out of the classroom and not have to actually teach for a day.

The last semester my two youngest kids were in public school (we home school now) between the two of them they spent at least 20 days out of the classroom on "field trips". they went to the freakin zoo, they went to see plays at the local theater, they went to every single freakin museum within a 100 mile radius. Hell, they even spent a day at the freakin "cook's pest control museum of natural science" looking at all the varieties of **** roaches.

As for this particular field trip, I have only one question. Anyone care to speculate on the amount of hell that would be being raised if it had been muslim kids taken to a catholic church and "given the opportunity" to attend mass?

While you don't want too many field trips, they are very useful as a learning tool. They allow access to excellent educational resources in a hands-on, visual way. We went to valey forge in high school, and that was a fun way to learn about it. Reading from a book only does so much.

If elementary kids are learning about animals, it's helpful to stimulate interest and give a concrete experience by going to a zoo.

Women weren't allowed to come to the mosque?

see post #8

From the article

sold to parents as a history lesson

However, only male students were given the opportunity to participate — the female students and female chaperons had to watch from a distance:

Back
Top Bottom