• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public school field trip to a mosque

um.....maybe so. you stated that students were forced to participate in prayer, is that true?

Show me where I said that.

that's ridiculous rev, and you know it. no one is forcing anyone in america to join islam. hell, equality is one of the reasons i left the catholic church. but we can't dictate religious tenets.

wow.... In one thread your whining about texas text books and "Separation of church and state", yet in this thread your defending my tax dollars being used to take my childeren to houses of worship?

Hypocrite much?

wow.... In one thread your whining about texas text books and "Separation of church and state", yet in this thread your defending my tax dollars being used to take my childeren to houses of worship?

Hypocrite much?

common symptom of the disease "liberalism" :rofl:

It was a full section in my Social Studies class and I took World Religions as an elective in highschool.

Aspects of various religions are taught in Social Studies... yes. Martin Luther, The battle over the Church of England and Elizabeth, the Crusades, the Inqusition, the Spanish and the conquest of the America's, Manifest Destiny, the native American's and their belief's... over and over again. Nothing wrong with teaching about a religion in a historical context, taking students to a church is different, unless the church has historical context... Notre Dame, St Peters, the big one in Istanbul. Just going to a church though, even if for study is not ok. IMO

because religion has played a significant part in history. The two are inextricably intertwined. It is impossible to teach about the dark ages without mentioning religion. It's impossible to teach about ancient egypt without mentioning religion. Religion, it's followers, and what they have done have shaped our world past, present, and future. There's no getting around that.

..... Exactly .....

Aspects of various religions are taught in Social Studies... yes. Martin Luther, The battle over the Church of England and Elizabeth, the Crusades, the Inqusition, the Spanish and the conquest of the America's, Manifest Destiny, the native American's and their belief's... over and over again. Nothing wrong with teaching about a religion in a historical context, taking students to a church is different, unless the church has historical context... Notre Dame, St Peters, the big one in Istanbul. Just going to a church though, even if for study is not ok. IMO

I agree, although I remember being taught various cultural practices and beleifs of the various faiths as well as the historical data.

And I wouldn't have signed the permission slip for any religious institution. I'd rather take my kids to various places of worship myself. Even if I trusted the school (which is pretty unlikely when it comes down to religious issues), I'd be nervous about the people doing the speaking at any place of worship. That's just me, though.

I agree, although I remember being taught various cultural practices and beleifs of the various faiths as well as the historical data.

And I wouldn't have signed the permission slip for any religious institution. I'd rather take my kids to various places of worship myself. Even if I trusted the school (which is pretty unlikely when it comes down to religious issues), I'd be nervous about the people doing the speaking at any place of worship. That's just me, though.

Agreed. I wouldn't have signed either and I have and do take my kids to various religious centers and places so that they can learn...

Back
Top Bottom