• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public school field trip to a mosque

I have no issue with children visiting places of worship if it's pertinent to what they are studying. I'm an atheist and I visited several temples in India to learn about them, experience them. I see nothing but value in this.

As for the praying, I feel the same about that as I do about them having asked me to pray all the ****ing time when I was in school: That is that it should not be teacher led, should be purely voluntary, and students should not feel pressured or obligated in any way to participate. (quite unlike how it was when I was in school... stupid ****ing school led prayers)

I don't see it, from an educational perspective they're still learning about a subject that contains inequality.

Is it your belief that the purpose of this field trip was to teach about inequality?

:lol: there's that women's equal rights we all know and love from the left. :thumbs:

that's ridiculous rev, and you know it. no one is forcing anyone in america to join islam. hell, equality is one of the reasons i left the catholic church. but we can't dictate religious tenets.

More like
Separate and unequal.
It's my understanding that there are only 30% or so of mosques in America where men and women are allowed to pray together.
.Others, women must pray in another area or behind a partition. I doubt these areas are equal to the areas the men are praying in.

1stly. How would they be... 'unequal' have you ever been in a mosque. What? Would the carpet be a little less colorful, a little more wrinkly where they pray.?

2ndly. The purpose of separating men and women is to prevent sexual thoughts by men in the house of 'god'.

But Im sure they're separating them because they hate women and want everyone to know it.

1stly. How would they be... 'unequal' have you ever been in a mosque. What? Would the carpet be a little less colorful, a little more wrinkly where they pray.?

2ndly. The purpose of separating men and women is to prevent sexual thoughts by men in the house of 'god'.

But Im sure they're separating them because they hate women and want everyone to know it.

really, who cares? it's their religion, and as far as i know barb is being forced to join. and yes, i think some muslims DO hate women. but so do some baptists.

really, who cares? it's their religion, and as far as i know barb is being forced to join. and yes, i think some muslims DO hate women. but so do some baptists.

I wouldn't have been on this field trip. I've been out of school for a few years. I do know I wouldn't want my child (if I had one) to go to anything like this without me. That includes any place of worship unless it was just to look at the architecture (sp)
I said earlier I didn't click the link. How old are the students?

By that logic, American schools shouldn't teach anything about Catholicism, Mormonism, Apartheid, Jim Crowe, and pre-sufferage American History. or any other time and place in history when people haven't been equal.

As far as I know, the subjects of Momonism and Catholicism have never been approached at my kid's school (nor when I was in school). The rest is history, and there are extremely important lessons learned from that.

Nope, but it was to teach about Islam, which is inherently inequal.

I don't get why a public school needs to teach about Islam when less than 1% of the US population is Muslim (assuming we're talking about the US here). There are far more important subjects IMO.

I would never sign that.

Well, it comes down to this Tucker. Do you trust your kids' school or not? I'm fairly trusting of our school system, and if I weren't, we wouldn't be here. However I don't trust anything 100%, so I volunteer at the school and keep active. I make it a point to know what's going on. Even if a parent doesn't have the time to dedicate to volunteering, you have to stay in the loop by talking to other parents often. Most of my friends have kids who've BTDT the year before mine, so I know what's coming and what isn't. I feel pretty confident when I sign the blanket permission slip that there will be no surprise field trips. But if there ever were, I'd know about it before my son got near a bus.

Well, it comes down to this Tucker. Do you trust your kids' school or not? I'm fairly trusting of our school system, and if I weren't, we wouldn't be here. However I don't trust anything 100%, so I volunteer at the school and keep active. I make it a point to know what's going on. Even if a parent doesn't have the time to dedicate to volunteering, you have to stay in the loop by talking to other parents often. Most of my friends have kids who've BTDT the year before mine, so I know what's coming and what isn't. I feel pretty confident when I sign the blanket permission slip that there will be no surprise field trips. But if there ever were, I'd know about it before my son got near a bus.

I agree. But I live in Chicago.... There's no way I would trust my kid's school. Which is why I'd never sign that kind of slip. :lol:

I don't get why a public school needs to teach about Islam when less than 1% of the US population is Muslim (assuming we're talking about the US here). There are far more important subjects IMO.

Why would the US population of Muslims matter when teaching something like world religions? The fact that it's the #2 religion in the world would indicate that the kids should know something about it.

Why would the US population of Muslims matter when teaching something like world religions? The fact that it's the #2 religion in the world would indicate that the kids should know something about it.

Why is it important when religion is not taught? Frankly, I think it's just some PC BS. If Christianity and Judaism isn't taught in public schools, why the heck should Islam?

I agree. But I live in Chicago.... There's no way I would trust my kid's school. Which is why I'd never sign that kind of slip. :lol:

Perhaps you will either move by the time you have a school aged child, or you will make arrangements for private education. When our son turned 2 and guns were found behind the high school up the road from us, we decided city living was no longer as important as it once was (there were other school issues our friends had told us about, but this was the last straw). We opted for a small town which is boring as heck, but it's got a fabulous school system, and if I want to know exactly what's going on in this town, I ask my son's barber. :lol:

Why is it important when religion is not taught? Frankly, I think it's just some PC BS. If Christianity and Judaism isn't taught in public schools, why the heck should Islam?

There is a difference between teaching about religions in general (their general history, general traditions, about their existance in general) and teaching THE religion. Obviously the latter shouldn't be done. And the former should only be done in context, but I do think the former *should* be done to some extent. In addition to that, teaching *about* religions in general could go into even more detail in a class specifically designed for it. (such as the mythology classes I elected to take in high school)

Teaching A religion shouldn't be done in public schools, but teaching about them, their history, their traditions, and their effects on the world should be done, IMO.

I believe world religions are taught in most schools. The cultures, traditions, and practices, not the ideology.

I believe world religions are taught in most schools. The cultures, traditions, and practices, not the ideology.

Which I think is appropriate. It should be something from a historical perspective. X religion has ##### adherents, has existed since yyyy, a, b, & c are major landmarks for them, they tend to be in these geographical locations, and this is their basic history.

That should probably be it.

Their is a difference between teaching history and teaching religion.

So you don't teach history that involves religion, such as ancient Egypt, or the Roman empire, the Crusades, or even the Pilgrim Fathers.

There is a difference between teaching about religions in general (their general history, general traditions, about their existance in general) and teaching THE religion. Obviously the latter shouldn't be done. And the former should only be done in context, but I do think the former *should* be done to some extent. In addition to that, teaching *about* religions in general could go into even more detail in a class specifically designed for it. (such as the mythology classes I elected to take in high school)

Teaching A religion shouldn't be done in public schools, but teaching about them, their history, their traditions, and their effects on the world should be done, IMO.

I honestly do not ever recall any mention of religion in any public school I attended. I just don't see it as a necessary part of the cirriculum. :shrug: That's my job as a parent. I mean, why not discuss ghosts too?

I honestly do not ever recall any mention of religion in any public school I attended. I just don't see it as a necessary part of the cirriculum. :shrug: That's my job as a parent. I mean, why not discuss ghosts too?

Because religion has played a significant part in history. The two are inextricably intertwined. It is impossible to teach about the Dark Ages without mentioning religion. It's impossible to teach about ancient egypt without mentioning religion. Religion, it's followers, and what they have done have shaped our world past, present, and future. There's no getting around that.

It was a full section in my Social Studies class and I took World Religions as an elective in highschool.

Back
Top Bottom