• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Public Policy Polling Has White and Perry Tied at 43

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
According to a new poll released by Public Policy Polling, Democratic challenger Bill White is running neck and neck with incumbent Republican Gov. Rick Perry. They each have 43 percent of the expected vote.

This is notably different from a recent Rasmussen Reports poll that put Perry ahead of White 48 to 40.

This may seem a huge surprise for people outside of Texas, given the state's huge red streak, but before Democrats start crowing that Texas is turning purple, this is not so much about a Democrat giving the Republican incumbent a race to remember, but a referendum on one of the most dishonest governors Texas has ever had.

So why is Perry such a good target for Democrats? It is because, while Texans are very Conservative, for the most part, they are not necessarily in lockstep with any particular party. Don't forget that Texas voted for Ann Richards before voting for George Bush.

Perry is in real danger, not because he is a Republican, but because he is not the Conservative he claims to be.

1) After receiving contributions from a pharmaceutical company, Perry issued an executive order that would have forced all schoolgirls in the state to be innoculated with a vaccine in which human testing had not yet been completed. Fortunately, that order was overridden by the state's Congress.

2) Perry issued an executive order that put a dollar tax on every pack of cigarettes sold in the state.

3) Perry pushed an unsuccessful plan to turn most of the freeways in Texas to tollways.

4) Perry is one of Texas' biggest advocates for the unpopular Trans-America corridor, which would run through the state.

5) Perry issued an executive order allowing Mexican trucks to operate in Texas without inspections. In Houston alone, there have been many horrific accidents, resulting in death, due to Mexican trucks with defective brakes and bald tires.

6) And, of course, Perry backed the plan to rewrite history books in the state, which promote Confederate personalities, and which euphemistically refer to the slave trade as the Atlantic Triangular trade.

Put it all together, and Perry is in huge trouble. White is still not that well known in some parts of Texas, but still has a huge advantage in favorability, with a 37% favorable rating and 25% unfavorable. As you can see, White has a lot of room to grow his favorability numbers here. On the other hand, just 27% of Texans give Perry good marks, while 55% of Texans saying he is doing a poor job.

My prediction here - Perry is toast. It's not because the Democrats have any answers to conditions in Texas, but because Perry acts more like a Communist than a Conservative. As for myself, I will be voting for a Democrat for the very first time in my entire 60 years of life.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Rick.

Article is here.

danarhea said:
...given the state's huge red streak, but before Democrats start crowing that Texas is turning purple...

Not crowing, but Texas may not be as red as some might imagine.

Texas State Senate:
18 Republicans
12 Democrats
1 Vacant
(Senate District 22 special election runoff held yesterday unofficially has Brian Birdwell as the the winner - both candidates were Republicans)

*Just a FYI..one-third of the state senate can block legislation

Texas House of Representatives:
76 Republicans
74 Democrats

But the most powerful people in Texas politics isn't the Governor or the Legislature. It's the President of the Senate, who is the Lt. Governor and elected statewide and the Speaker of the House, who is elected by the entire House - rather than by the majority party. These two control the legislature with their powers to select committee members and chairs. These chairs then use their position to leverage influence for particular legislation.

I don't think Perry's boisterous cheer leading and talks of secession at recent rallies helped much.

This is only because of Texas A&M people who are upset with him for killing their wishes to go to the SEC. Trust me. I'm not an Aggie, but I know a ton of them.

Not crowing, but Texas may not be as red as some might imagine.

Texas State Senate:
18 Republicans
12 Democrats
1 Vacant
(Senate District 22 special election runoff held yesterday unofficially has Brian Birdwell as the the winner - both candidates were Republicans)

*Just a FYI..one-third of the state senate can block legislation

Texas House of Representatives:
76 Republicans
74 Democrats

But the most powerful people in Texas politics isn't the Governor or the Legislature. It's the President of the Senate, who is the Lt. Governor and elected statewide and the Speaker of the House, who is elected by the entire House - rather than by the majority party. These two control the legislature with their powers to select committee members and chairs. These chairs then use their position to leverage influence for particular legislation.

I don't think Perry's boisterous cheer leading and talks of secession at recent rallies helped much.

For right now, Texas is redder than you know. You have Houston, Austin, parts of Beaumont and Port Arthur, and the valley, which are fairly blue right now. The rest of the state is red as red can be. Texas has trended a little more purple recently due to the Hispanic population getting pissed at Republicans. Hispanics voted for Bush in huge numbers in 2004, but with many Hispanic Americans feeling that the GOP is marginalizing them, they have switched to Democrat. But, all in all, Texas is a very red state, and will remain that way for the forseeable future. In the distant future, though, that might change, since whites are due to become a minority here by 2025. However, that does not apply to the present, and who knows that the political landscape might look like in another 15 years?

Because of what I stated above, the election of Bill White would be considered an anomaly, and not the rule here. Take it from someone who lives here.

Last edited:
For right now, Texas is redder than you know. You have Houston, Austin, parts of Beaumont and Port Arthur, and the valley, which are fairly blue right now. The rest of the state is red as red can be. Texas has trended a little more purple recently due to the Hispanic population getting pissed at Republicans. Hispanics voted for Bush in huge numbers in 2004, but with many Hispanic Americans feeling that the GOP is marginalizing them, they have switched to Democrat. But, all in all, Texas is a very red state, and will remain that way for the forseeable future. In the distant future, though, that might change, since whites are due to become a minority here by 2025. However, that does not apply to the present, and who knows that the political landscape might look like in another 15 years?

Because of what I stated above, the election of Bill White would be considered an anomaly, and not the rule here. Take it from someone who lives here.

I live in Southlake, the reddest of the reddest part of this state. I've never like Rick Perry. He's a bubble-headed poster boy, but he's got the party behind him, so he wins.

However, when he stepped in recently during the whole Big XII debacle and got the regents to go against their previous 6-3 vote, Texas A&M looked like Texas' little brother yet again. The completely pissed off the entire Aggie faithful, and he's caught a ton of backlash since. Without the Aggie vote, he has not shot.

However, come November, that will calm down, and it'll lean back his way, I'll bet.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
For right now, Texas is redder than you know.
No doubt Texas is red right now. Maybe not as red as you wish it to be...:) Also remember that it was just 8 years ago (2002) that the Republicans first gained control of the Texas Legislature. It's not a long history, but also recognizing that a D & R had different meanings through the years.
danarhea said:
You have Houston, Austin, parts of Beaumont and Port Arthur, and the valley, which are fairly blue right now.
And Dallas (Fort Worth went comfortably red in the last election), San Antonio and El Paso.
danarhea said:
Texas has trended a little more purple recently due to the Hispanic population getting pissed at Republicans.
Have they done anything to significantly reverse that?

Do you remember the redistricting suit - League of United Latin American Citizens v. Perry - that wound up in the Supreme Court? The court did not throw out the entire redistricting plan, but ruled that District 23 did violate the Voting Rights Act. A Hispanic Democrat defeated a Republican for that seat. The District 23 ruling, by the way was decided by a 5-4 vote. Bet you can't guess who were the four who dissented...LOL

Some may have forgotten, but many Hispanics haven't.

danarhea said:
Hispanics voted for Bush in huge numbers in 2004, but with many Hispanic Americans feeling that the GOP is marginalizing them, they have switched to Democrat.
Texas as a whole voted for GWB in huge numbers, mainly because he's from...well Texas...:lol:

danarhea said:
In the distant future, though, that might change, since whites are due to become a minority here by 2025.
From the U.S. Census Bureau:
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2008
Texas 47.4% USA 65.6%

danarhea said:
However, that does not apply to the present, and who knows that the political landscape might look like in another 15 years?
Or sooner...time will tell

danarhea said:
Because of what I stated above, the election of Bill White would be considered an anomaly, and not the rule here.
Bill White was not well known outside of Houston until recently. He was elected with 91 percent of the vote for his second term as Mayor of Houston. He got a lot of good statewide (as well as nationally) PR during Katrina with all of the refugees going to Houston. He has been steadily closing the gap between him and Perry as he campaigns around the state and become known. Also don't forget he was born and grew up in San Antonio and speaks fluent Spanish.

danarhea said:
Take it from someone who lives here.
Ditto

The completely pissed off the entire Aggie faithful, and he's caught a ton of backlash since.
And he's a '72 A&M graduate......:lol:

I think (for now anyway) even for all his horribleness Perry still has a good chance. If White takes it then it will be close no landslide.

This may seem a huge surprise for people outside of Texas, given the state's huge red streak, but before Democrats start crowing that Texas is turning purple, this is not so much about a Democrat giving the Republican incumbent a race to remember, but a referendum on one of the most dishonest governors Texas has ever had.

So why is Perry such a good target for Democrats? It is because, while Texans are very Conservative, for the most part, they are not necessarily in lockstep with any particular party. Don't forget that Texas voted for Ann Richards before voting for George Bush.

Perry is in real danger, not because he is a Republican, but because he is not the Conservative he claims to be.

1) After receiving contributions from a pharmaceutical company, Perry issued an executive order that would have forced all schoolgirls in the state to be innoculated with a vaccine in which human testing had not yet been completed. Fortunately, that order was overridden by the state's Congress.

2) Perry issued an executive order that put a dollar tax on every pack of cigarettes sold in the state.

3) Perry pushed an unsuccessful plan to turn most of the freeways in Texas to tollways.

4) Perry is one of Texas' biggest advocates for the unpopular Trans-America corridor, which would run through the state.

5) Perry issued an executive order allowing Mexican trucks to operate in Texas without inspections. In Houston alone, there have been many horrific accidents, resulting in death, due to Mexican trucks with defective brakes and bald tires.

6) And, of course, Perry backed the plan to rewrite history books in the state, which promote Confederate personalities, and which euphemistically refer to the slave trade as the Atlantic Triangular trade.

Put it all together, and Perry is in huge trouble. White is still not that well known in some parts of Texas, but still has a huge advantage in favorability, with a 37% favorable rating and 25% unfavorable. As you can see, White has a lot of room to grow his favorability numbers here. On the other hand, just 27% of Texans give Perry good marks, while 55% of Texans saying he is doing a poor job.

My prediction here - Perry is toast. It's not because the Democrats have any answers to conditions in Texas, but because Perry acts more like a Communist than a Conservative. As for myself, I will be voting for a Democrat for the very first time in my entire 60 years of life.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Rick.

Article is here.

LOL Stop drinking that water down there.

I'm no fan of him but the alternative is unthinkable. Nothing white has shown would make me vote for him.

But if you would like to make a friendly wager....... :D

White has zero chance of winning. ZERO. Not if a thousands pigs learned how to fly would he ever make it as governor.

Last edited:

I'm no fan of him but the alternative is unthinkable. Nothing white has shown would make me vote for him.

White has zero chance of winning. ZERO. Not if a thousands pigs learned how to fly would he ever make it as governor.

I am not certain about a thousand pigs flying, but I can tell you I have seen at least ONE Pig flying!
Danahea is not the only Rebublican who prefers (ABP) anyone but Perry.

And Bill White is also quite a blue dog democrat too, but I guess to Texmaster anyone who is not hard right is not good for Texas.

I am one those that thinks anyone but Perry, and my vote would have gone to Ms. Bailey now it goes to Bill white, since I thought he did a great job with Houston after what he had been left with by Mayor lee Brown who bankrupted Houston. He got us back on track, and got the money flown again.

I am not certain about a thousand pigs flying, but I can tell you I have seen at least ONE Pig flying!
Danahea is not the only Rebublican who prefers (ABP) anyone but Perry.

Yes he is!

In all seriousness, I will bet ANYONE on this board that Perry will win.

The terms are you have to have in your signature for a week whatever the looser wishes you to have. (as long as its within the rules)

Who wants a piece?

And Bill White is also quite a blue dog democrat too, but I guess to Texmaster anyone who is not hard right is not good for Texas.

I understand reading comprehension is a chore for you but if you had actually read what I said, I don't like Perry. Try to keep up next time mmmkay?

I am one those that thinks anyone but Perry, and my vote would have gone to Ms. Bailey now it goes to Bill white, since I thought he did a great job with Houston after what he had been left with by Mayor lee Brown who bankrupted Houston. He got us back on track, and got the money flown again.

Of course you are. You're a liberal. Where's the shock in that?

You're on. How about loser makes 10 dollar donation to DP in the name of the winner? :)

No doubt Texas is red right now. Maybe not as red as you wish it to be...:) Also remember that it was just 8 years ago (2002) that the Republicans first gained control of the Texas Legislature. It's not a long history, but also recognizing that a D & R had different meanings through the years.

And Dallas (Fort Worth went comfortably red in the last election), San Antonio and El Paso.

Have they done anything to significantly reverse that?

Do you remember the redistricting suit - League of United Latin American Citizens v. Perry - that wound up in the Supreme Court? The court did not throw out the entire redistricting plan, but ruled that District 23 did violate the Voting Rights Act. A Hispanic Democrat defeated a Republican for that seat. The District 23 ruling, by the way was decided by a 5-4 vote. Bet you can't guess who were the four who dissented...LOL

Some may have forgotten, but many Hispanics haven't.

Texas as a whole voted for GWB in huge numbers, mainly because he's from...well Texas...:lol:

From the U.S. Census Bureau:
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2008
Texas 47.4% USA 65.6%

Or sooner...time will tell

Bill White was not well known outside of Houston until recently. He was elected with 91 percent of the vote for his second term as Mayor of Houston. He got a lot of good statewide (as well as nationally) PR during Katrina with all of the refugees going to Houston. He has been steadily closing the gap between him and Perry as he campaigns around the state and become known. Also don't forget he was born and grew up in San Antonio and speaks fluent Spanish.

Ditto

I'm afraid you are only fooling yourself, we don't have many hardcore california-type democrats outside of Austin/San Antonio. And even those cities are moderately liberal. Texas is as conservative as conservative gets, and it's just about mandated in the state constitution, so even a communist insurgence from Russia would only be able to move the state's political leaning from conservative to moderate-conservative.

When in the face of an asshole like Perry, you're fooling yourself if you think White's election will mean anything. I would want White over Perry because Perry is a heartless fool.

I hope White wins and all but, I don't want unions and freakshow-liberals from New York flooding the state with money and activists and **** thinking all of a sudden they have a chance. The only way the state democrat party even wins seats is because they make their policies look like the national republican party.

Last edited:
You're on. How about loser makes 10 dollar donation to DP in the name of the winner? :)

DEAL!!! But also the sig for a week agreed?

Redress to witness. She'll get a kick out of 2 conservatives beating up on each other :D

Redress to witness. She'll get a kick out of 2 conservatives beating up on each other :D

I do get a kick out of it. Consider it witnessed.

I do get a kick out of it. Consider it witnessed.

cartman-sweet.jpg

You've got yourself a deal. LOL. Now let's kick each others' asses. :mrgreen:

Yes he is!

In all seriousness, I will bet ANYONE on this board that Perry will win.

The terms are you have to have in your signature for a week whatever the looser wishes you to have. (as long as its within the rules)

Who wants a piece?

Plus the $10 DP donation. Sure, cover me.

Perry has been governor for almost 10 years now. A bad decade economically for our great State. People are tired of Perry. He'll lose this time around. White will win the governorship even with the Green (GOP backed) party on the ballot. Everyone that voted for Kinky last time will realize their mistake and ignore the Greens.

Plus the $10 DP donation. Sure, cover me.

Perry has been governor for almost 10 years now. A bad decade economically for our great State. People are tired of Perry. He'll lose this time around. White will win the governorship even with the Green (GOP backed) party on the ballot. Everyone that voted for Kinky last time will realize their mistake and ignore the Greens.

I voted for Kinky last time, and I do not see it as a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom