• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pterosaur fossil from Scotland is largest Jurassic flier ever found

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

An exceptionally well-preserved pterosaur fossil, unearthed on a Scottish island, represents the largest flying reptile ever discovered from the Jurassic Period.

With a wingspan of approximately 2.5 metres, an aerodynamic head and upper and lower teeth that criss-crossed each other like the stiff hairs on the leaf of a Venus flytrap, the new species provides evidence that pterosaurs started getting larger at a much earlier point in prehistory than previously thought.

The newly named 170-million-year-old Dearc sgiathanach was about the size of a modern albatross, says Natalia Jagielska at the University of Edinburgh, UK.
======================================================
The 747 of its day.

Great find!

I wonder if it will offer any clues as to whether it had feathers or not. I've heard that some people think those flying reptiles might have had them.

What about

An exceptionally well-preserved pterosaur fossil, unearthed on a Scottish island, represents the largest flying reptile ever discovered from the Jurassic Period.

With a wingspan of approximately 2.5 metres, an aerodynamic head and upper and lower teeth that criss-crossed each other like the stiff hairs on the leaf of a Venus flytrap, the new species provides evidence that pterosaurs started getting larger at a much earlier point in prehistory than previously thought.

The newly named 170-million-year-old Dearc sgiathanach was about the size of a modern albatross, says Natalia Jagielska at the University of Edinburgh, UK.
======================================================
The 747 of its day.
Well, I learned something, Pterodactylus was only three and a half feet, this guy is seven feet.

Where are the big giants we see in the movies?

I know. It's like finding out Frankenstein was a five-foot guy wearing a padded suit and stacked shoes.

Sometimes I wish I had stayed a child.

:)

Great find!

I wonder if it will offer any clues as to whether it had feathers or not. I've heard that some people think those flying reptiles might have had them.
Safe bet. Feathers evolved from reptilian scales. Unfortunately the conditions of fossilization prevent most feathers from being preserved.

Safe bet. Feathers evolved from reptilian scales. Unfortunately the conditions of fossilization prevent most feathers from being preserved.

That's fascinating stuff. There's no telling what we might eventually find out about them.

What about

Well, I learned something, Pterodactylus was only three and a half feet, this guy is seven feet.

Velociraptors are like half the size they were in the Jurassic Park films

Velociraptors are like half the size they were in the Jurassic Park films
I know, I have some pterodacts in my spaceships, but they aren't as exciting anymore.

Back
Top Bottom