• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Psychedelic science holds promise for mainstream medicine

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Psychedelic healing may sound like a fad from the Woodstock era, but it's a field of study that's gaining traction in the medical community as an effective treatment option for a growing number of mental health conditions.

While the study of psychedelics as medicine is inching toward the mainstream, it still remains somewhat controversial. Psychedelics have struggled to shake a "counterculture" perception that was born in the 1960s, a view that had stymied scientific study of them for more than 50 years.

But that perception is slowly changing.

Mounting research suggests that controlled treatment with psychedelics like psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, and MDMA -- better known as ecstasy -- may be effective options for people suffering from PTSD, anxiety disorders, and depression. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration recently granted "breakthrough therapy" status to study the medical benefits of psychedelics. And two years ago this month, the FDA approved a psychedelic drug -- esketamine -- to treat depression.
================================================================================================
As the DuPont company motto said at the 1939 World's Fair, 'Better Things for Better Living Through Chemistry; (That motto is still in the hall in one of the DuPont buildings in Wilmington, DE.

Somehow, I don't think this is the chemistry DuPont had in mind. ;)

My degree is in chemistry & I'm fond of mind-altering drugs, so it's a play on words.

My degree is in chemistry & I'm fond of mind-altering drugs

Thanks for being honest about your bias.

These are some powerful drugs and not all hallucinogens are the same as one of your links wisely points out.

I can see the thought process involved here but I would not fund research. ;)

IMHO treating depression with amphetamines would be more useful research.

peace

Thanks for being honest about your bias.

These are some powerful drugs and not all hallucinogens are the same as one of your links wisely points out.

I can see the thought process involved here but I would not fund research. ;)

IMHO treating depression with amphetamines would be more useful research.

peace

I don't consider the acceptance of reality to be a bias.

I suppose this started 60 or so years ago with Timothy Leary at Harvard. He had pharma-quality psilocybin tabs made by Sandoz from the original discovery lab process.

This is not that new .......

Back
Top Bottom