• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Psilocybin decriminalization in the United States

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The movement to decriminalize psilocybin in the United States began in the late 2010s, with Denver, Colorado becoming the first city to decriminalize psilocybin in May 2019. The cities of Oakland and Santa Cruz, California, followed suit and decriminalized psilocybin in June 2019 and January 2020, respectively. Washington DC followed suit in November 2020, as did Somerville, and then neighboring town Cambridge Massachusetts in January 2021.

Supporters of the movement have cited emerging research that indicate potential medical use for the drug. In November 2020, voters passed Oregon Ballot Measure 109, making Oregon the first state to both decriminalize psilocybin and also legalize it for therapeutic use.[1][2] The use, sale, and possession of psilocybin in the United States, despite state laws, is illegal under federal law.
============================================================
Interesting article.

Of interest to me from the theoretical side is the bioactivity of 7-fluoropsilocin. Psilocin is the psychoactive derivative of psilocybin that gets you to hallucinate. This is detoxified in your body to create a blue 4,7-quinone derivative that is not psychoactive. Putting a fluorine atom in the 7 position blocks its metabolism & would likely extend the experience.

The movement to decriminalize psilocybin in the United States began in the late 2010s, with Denver, Colorado becoming the first city to decriminalize psilocybin in May 2019. The cities of Oakland and Santa Cruz, California, followed suit and decriminalized psilocybin in June 2019 and January 2020, respectively. Washington DC followed suit in November 2020, as did Somerville, and then neighboring town Cambridge Massachusetts in January 2021.

Supporters of the movement have cited emerging research that indicate potential medical use for the drug. In November 2020, voters passed Oregon Ballot Measure 109, making Oregon the first state to both decriminalize psilocybin and also legalize it for therapeutic use.[1][2] The use, sale, and possession of psilocybin in the United States, despite state laws, is illegal under federal law.
============================================================
Interesting article.

Of interest to me from the theoretical side is the bioactivity of 7-fluoropsilocin. Psilocin is the psychoactive derivative of psilocybin that gets you to hallucinate. This is detoxified in your body to create a blue 4,7-quinone derivative that is not psychoactive. Putting a fluorine atom in the 7 position blocks its metabolism & would likely extend the experience.

Its all very fascinating, and I wish I understood how it all works.

Personally, though, I would like it if they found something that would let you experience it, but for a shorter amount of time. Hours and hours, if you aren't enjoying it, is one of the things that keeps me from trying it. DMT, I know is shorter. But also harder to come by and from what I hear, not so pleasant to ingest, regardless of which way you do it.

Its all very fascinating, and I wish I understood how it all works.

Personally, though, I would like it if they found something that would let you experience it, but for a shorter amount of time. Hours and hours, if you aren't enjoying it, is one of the things that keeps me from trying it. DMT, I know is shorter. But also harder to come by and from what I hear, not so pleasant to ingest, regardless of which way you do it.
N,N-Dimethyltryptamine is known as DMT. The experience only lasts for a short time so you could do it on your lunch hour.

N,N-Dimethyltryptamine is known as DMT. The experience only lasts for a short time so you could do it on your lunch hour.

Yeah, I've read that, lol. But......still harder to come by and not so pleasant to take. The time frame is just right though - around 20 minutes.

Yeah, I've read that, lol. But......still harder to come by and not so pleasant to take. The time frame is just right though - around 20 minutes.
So you have tried this?

I'm surprised this is not more available as the starting materials are available & it's a one-step synthesis to get pure DMT. DMT is an analog of psilocin. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N,N-Dimethyltryptamine

Last edited:
So you have tried this?

No, I've read about it, and someone on another forum has described making a sort of tea with it (which can make you vomit, they said) or smoking it which tastes pretty nasty. I don't know this firsthand, of course, but I have no reason to doubt that this person has taken it.

No, I've read about it, and someone on another forum has described making a sort of tea with it (which can make you vomit, they said) or smoking it which tastes pretty nasty. I don't know this firsthand, of course, but I have no reason to doubt that this person has taken it.

The way you take it is important because an enzyme in you called MAO rapidly metabolizes it, which is why it is so short-acting. You need to take a MAO inhibitor drug first to tune down your MAO. So to use DMT you have to source that drug also. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoamine_oxidase_inhibitor

And does the inhibitor drug still keep the effects at around 20 minutes?

I recall that these are drugs you take daily for depression. I took one years ago but only got constipated. I think they work for hours at least.

I recall that these are drugs you take daily for depression. I took one years ago but only got constipated. I think they work for hours at least.

The inhibitor drug for depression, or the DMT? Because I've heard that you quickly become tolerant of the DMT, and then it doesn't work (at least for hallucinating).

The inhibitor drug for depression, or the DMT? Because I've heard that you quickly become tolerant of the DMT, and then it doesn't work (at least for hallucinating).

Anything that does its job at a receptor in your brain will build tolerance. Alcohol, pot, tobacco, stimulants, etc. There is a type of feedback mechanism that deals with large doses of these things by creating more receptors. Those don't all go away following abstinence, even for years.

As I posted, DMT is very short-acting. MAOI are longer lasting as they are intended for people with depression to take them every day. But a number of foods & natural substances inhibit MAO. Use the Google.

Eat too much MAOI & you might gain weight.

Shrug. Just having a conversation. If all we did was google, there'd be nothing here.

Mushrooms are a natural medicine. Well worth exploring in my opinion. I live where the most potent ones grow. To be honest good experiences far outweigh bad ones.

It's impossible to explain without having experienced it but there is a moving spiritual aspect to it. I think it's a positive thing for the vast majority of people. I don't think you'd want to shorten the duration.its something to dedicate 12 hours to. Nature probably doesn't want the effect to be too short acting.

Mushrooms are a natural medicine. Well worth exploring in my opinion. I live where the most potent ones grow. To be honest good experiences far outweigh bad ones.

It's impossible to explain without having experienced it but there is a moving spiritual aspect to it. I think it's a positive thing for the vast majority of people. I don't think you'd want to shorten the duration.its something to dedicate 12 hours to. Nature probably doesn't want the effect to be too short acting.
Chemicals found in Nature can be medicines just as some can be poisonous.

Looks like CO might vote on legalizing mushrooms in the fall.

Looks like CO might vote on legalizing mushrooms in the fall.

I only did them 2-3 times & found them to be a lot of fun. My wife at the time was unprepared for the trip & freaked out. I suggest having a few benzo tabs on hand just in case.

Back
Top Bottom