• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Psaki: ‘We Have Determined That We Do Not Need to Make a Determination’ on Egypt

Jango

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told Matt Lee of the Associated Press Tuesday that the U.S. had “determined that we do not need to make a determination” over whether or not the ousting of Mohamed Morsi in Egypt was a coup.

Sen. John McCain (R., Ariz.) called it a coup Tuesday, but the Obama administration has deliberately avoided using the word:

LEE: In response to the first question about Senator McCain’s comments, you gave — you said, our position has not changed, as you just did with Morsi. On McCain’s comments, though, our position has not changed — then you said the U.S. government has stated what our position is. Could you remind us all of what your position actually is? Because as I recall, your position was that you don’t have a position, and that’s not quite — is that correct?

PSAKI: Matt, I think you know our position, which is that –

LEE: I — tell me.

PSAKI: There was a determination made that we need to —not need to make a designation.

LEE: So then — so your position is that you do not have a position, correct?

PSAKI: Our position is that we do not need to make a designation. Mmm hmm — oh, go ahead, Nicolas (sp).

Q: Yeah, does Deputy Secretary Burns plan to meet with President Morsi? We talked about it yesterday, but –

PSAKI: I don’t have any other plans for that on his schedule.

LEE: Can I just go back to your answer to my question?

PSAKI: Yes.

LEE: You do understand that you don’t have a position on this, don’t you?

PSAKI: We have not made a determination –

LEE: But don’t — you go and say, our position has not changed, but you don’t have a position. You don’t have a position that could — a position means taking a side or taking a stance or making a determination. And since you didn’t do that, you do not, by definition, have a position.

PSAKI: We have –

LEE: Correct?

PSAKI: I would disagree with you, Matt.

LEE: You have a position on whether what happened in Egypt was a coup?

PSAKI: We have determined that we do not need to make a determination.

LEE: Isn’t that the same as not having a position?

PSAKI: I will — I will let you parse yourself.

LEE: OK.

Psaki: ‘We Have Determined That We Do Not Need to Make a Determination’ on Egypt | Washington Free Beacon

:lol:

Pretty funny when spokespersons make themselves look like fools. But, its not like she could level with the reporter - she is cleared to say just certain things, like the President's mouthpiece, Jay Carney. Nevertheless, what isn't funny, is our lack of taking a position. What happened in Egypt was a coup. The administration just does not want to admit that because they'd have to break off aid.

I saw the clip of this crazy statement on TV. What a beautiful example of Orwellian Newspeak! Gawd!

I have something to say. There. I said it. Thanks.

If we don't call it a coup, it doesn't count! But we're not not calling it a coup, mind you. We're just not calling it a coup.

If we don't call it a coup, it doesn't count! But we're not not calling it a coup, mind you. We're just not calling it a coup.

Got it!

Good morning, Deuce. :2wave:

I don't know why everybody's making a big deal over Egypt's coupe. I think it looks nice

f_480799374-1065556527.jpeg

The Coupe D'etat.

This could be a result of the new SoS. He likes this kind of statement. It was a coup before it wasn't. We have to be nimble. Besides, nobody was officially shot.

Back
Top Bottom