• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PSA about fascism from the 1940s

Watch the second one as well

Super patriots they think .........

From the video:
And some of the things I see in this country of ours makes my blood boil. I see Negroes holding jobs that belong to me and you

This is progressivism, not fascism. Unions during the Progressive era were created specifically to prevent black workers from competing with white workers. Here is black historian W.E.B. Du Bois writing in 1918:

I carry on the title page, for instance, of this magazine the Union label, and yet I know, and everyone of my Negro readers knows, that the very fact that this label is there is an advertisement that no Negro’s hand is engaged in the printing of this magazine, since the International Typographical Union systematically and deliberately excludes every Negro that it dares from membership, no matter what his qualifications.

Or Herbert Hill in 1959:

The Negro worker’s historical experience with organized labor has not been a happy one. In the South, unions frequently acted to force Negroes out of jobs that had formerly been considered theirs. Before the Civil War, Negroes had been carpenters, bricklayers, painters, blacksmiths, harness-makers, tailors, and shoemakers. However, in urban centers like New Orleans, the historian Charles B. Rousseve observed in The Negro in Louisiana, “the Negro who in ante-bellum days performed all types of labor, skilled and unskilled, found himself gradually almost eliminated from the various trades.” Unionization in the South often led to the redesignating of “Negro jobs” as “white man’s work,” and even to excluding Negroes from entire industries.

In the North, unions were stronger at an earlier period, especially among the craft occupations. But, as Gunnar Myrdal stated in An American Dilemma, “most of the time they effectively kept Negroes out of skilled work.” The fact, Myrdal continued, “that the American Federation of Labor as such is officially against racial discrimination does not mean much. The Federation has never done anything to check racial discrimination exercised by its member organizations.”

Meanwhile, here is the father of fascism, Benito Mussolini, talking about race:

For the first 15 years of his reign, there were no racial laws in Italy. Only when he wanted to ally with Hitler did racial laws against Jews appear, and enforcement was intentionally lax.

From the video:

This is progressivism, not fascism. Unions during the Progressive era were created specifically to prevent black workers from competing with white workers. Here is black historian W.E.B. Du Bois writing in 1918:

Or Herbert Hill in 1959:

For the first 15 years of his reign, there were no racial laws in Italy. Only when he wanted to ally with Hitler did racial laws against Jews appear, and enforcement was intentionally lax.

How much racial equality did Arabs from North Africa or blacks from Ethiopia and Somalia have in the Italian Empire?

Not much, because Mussolini was a nationalist.

So the fascists didn't actually have no racial laws like you claimed. They had a lot of them, in the places where there were actually significant numbers of other races living in their empire.

And still relevant today.

Give it a watch.

I'm a bit of a collector of old time radio programs. Many of the US government PSAs and "supported" programs from the 1940s echo strongly today. The difference is that, in the 1940s, they were directed at German fascists. Today they would be directed at ...

From the video:

Or Herbert Hill in 1959:

A pro-fascism post.... sweet!

The BTW was organized in 1910 by Arthur Lee (A.L) Emerson and Jay Smith as an industrial union. Estimates of membership fall between 20,000 and 35,000 ...

Brotherhood of Timber Workers​

"The Burns Detective Agency was one of the primary agencies employed by the Southern Lumber Operator's Association to break the interracial union, The Brotherhood of Timber Workers, from 1910 to 1916.[3] .."

"The Thiel Detective Service Company headquarters were in St. Louis, Missouri. The company was formed to be a direct competitor to the Pinkerton Detective Agency, but never achieved this status. The Burns Detective Agency was Pinkerton's largest competitor.[1] By the late 1890s, Thiel had seven offices, including one in New York and one in Portland, Oregon.[2]

Many of the agents employed by Thiel spied on railroad workers, covering every state and territory in the Union, as well as Canadian provinces between Vancouver Island and Nova Scotia. They referred to themselves as "testers", meaning that they tested employees' honesty, while railroad workers called them "spotters".[2]

The Thiel Agency was also involved in infiltrating and breaking a number of labor union strikes in the United States and Canada, much as the Pinkerton agency was. After the Homestead Strike, the Thiel Detective Agency, along with the Illinois Detective Agency, U.S. Detective Agency, and Mooney and Boland's Detective Agency were investigated by both chambers of the United States Congress.[3][4] .."

Last edited:
Enforcement of racial laws depended on local authorities; some enforcement was lax while other areas were strict.

One of the most extreme examples of enforcement is known thanks to the author Giorgio Bassani who wrote several books on the fate of Jewish families in Ferrara — the best known being The Garden of the Finzi-Contini. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Garden_of_the_Finzi-Continis

Self reflection helps in situations like this.

Is your point that this seems like today's Democrats or just the more extreme progressives?
I see posts from a lot of people who don't appear to have what I consider to be "adequate reading comprehension" skills on the Internet.

Thank you for providing a prime example of the type of post that someone who lacks "adequate visual and aural comprehension" skills would post. The amount of effort that you must have put in to create such a fine example is positively awe inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom