• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PS5 Release Cluster You Know What

OlNate

Shameless Canuck
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Welp, I'm sitting here, trying desperately to spend the $700 bucks to buy my kid a PS5 for Christmas, and shit's selling out in less time than it takes me to wait to get into the websites. Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy....gone within minutes. I'm starting to feel like Arnold in Jingle All The Way.

Meantime, scalpers are selling the ones they got today for $2000.

Anyone else turning the walls brown with their involuntary cursing?

Sony said sometime last week that they where going to do everything they could to have enough units at launch, but there was no way they where going to succeed, or even come close.

@OlNate See if this helps you:

Sony said sometime last week that they where going to do everything they could to have enough units at launch, but there was no way they where going to succeed, or even come close.

@OlNate See if this helps you:

Yeah, it's been pretty gross.

Thanks for the link...I've been watching it, but unfortunately it only shows American retailers. There's a Canadian one, though, and it would appear that every single unit in Canada sold out within about 30 minutes of being offered, with the exception of one retailer who's website has been broken since they opened up their offering....so I'm hoping that maybe they haven't sold any yet, in which case I might get lucky and score there....lol.... What a gong show.

I do have American friends standing by for the next Walmart release...so, two "paths to victory", I guess....lol

Yeah, it's been pretty gross.

Thanks for the link...I've been watching it, but unfortunately it only shows American retailers. There's a Canadian one, though, and it would appear that every single unit in Canada sold out within about 30 minutes of being offered, with the exception of one retailer who's website has been broken since they opened up their offering....so I'm hoping that maybe they haven't sold any yet, in which case I might get lucky and score there....lol.... What a gong show.

I do have American friends standing by for the next Walmart release...so, two "paths to victory", I guess....lol
Good luck sir!

It's gonna be a BFD whether Sony can get enough PS5s to satisfy customer demand by Christmas...in a pandemic! The hype is sky-high, and how things go over the next few weeks could be a big factor in the PS5's success

Welp, I'm sitting here, trying desperately to spend the $700 bucks to buy my kid a PS5 for Christmas, and shit's selling out in less time than it takes me to wait to get into the websites. Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy....gone within minutes. I'm starting to feel like Arnold in Jingle All The Way.

I am going to wait until after the holiday rush to get a playstation. I picked up an xbox series x this morning (I just happened to find it by accident when looking at the black friday sales advertisement @ best buy last week and purchased it immediately) though and I am quite happy with the thing.

I just purchased a 1tb nvme drive and usb-c enclosure for all the legacy games and that should come in tomorrow, but my testing with some of the slower loading games, like warhammer 40k inquisitor shows an impressive difference.

Good luck!

maybe this will help you: https://brickseek.com/p/playstation-5-console/9711440

If you have not gotten one yet, try to avoid anyone but a strict seller, avoid ebay and others, and even avoid amazon as they had issues with empty boxes showing up on peoples doors indicating either their shippers or warehouse workers were stealing them. Currently many stores will not ship them online at all instead just letting you buy them online and pick it up in person at the retailer, this was done because not only the thefts occuring between warehouses to doorsteps(and a bunch of pissed off customers they had to give refunds) but also because bots are buying them all up the second they hit online stores so they can scalp them for profit.

The problem has been so bad some are estimating that 80% of the ps5/ xbox x/s are being bought by hoarders and scalpers who just plan to sell them on ebay for 1-300% markup.

There are also numerous scams, ali baba is selling fake ps5's, there have been pictures that pop up sometimes on the internet of fake ps5 systems, that when arrived do not look like the ps5, and end up being some android fake system made in china somewhere. The few pictures I had seen of those fake consoles used the old concept art not the current design, which indicates these scammers probably had the scams planned for a while, and even had hoax consoles in production already before the current design was released to the public.

Stay safe and be cafefull, do not buy from one of these shady scalpers, do not buy from ebay scammers selling a pic or an empty box, and do not buy from a questionable source that will likely sell you a cheaply made chinese ripoff that can not actually play games. Stick with real retailers and it is preferable to order it online to pick up in store so you atleast know what you get when you get it.

I am going to wait until after the holiday rush to get a playstation. I picked up an xbox series x this morning (I just happened to find it by accident when looking at the black friday sales advertisement @ best buy last week and purchased it immediately) though and I am quite happy with the thing.

I just purchased a 1tb nvme drive and usb-c enclosure for all the legacy games and that should come in tomorrow, but my testing with some of the slower loading games, like warhammer 40k inquisitor shows an impressive difference.

Good luck!

Your own link says not available online, in the last few days most retailers made them pick up in store only because automated bots were buying them out everywhere to sell them on ebay for around 1200-1500 bucks a piece, it is a method they used to combat bots buying them all up.

Your own link says not available online, in the last few days most retailers made them pick up in store only because automated bots were buying them out everywhere to sell them on ebay for around 1200-1500 bucks a piece, it is a method they used to combat bots buying them all up.
Its situational. In my area there were available last night in two stores once I put in my zip code and then I checked an hour later and of course they were gone.

Its one of those things someone would need to be checking all the time and be ready to get it at a moment's notice.

Here is another bit of good news even if it will likely affect much before Christmas: https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/15/21325260/sony-ps5-oculus-stock-orders-manufacturing-increase

If you have not gotten one yet, try to avoid anyone but a strict seller, avoid ebay and others, and even avoid amazon as they had issues with empty boxes showing up on peoples doors indicating either their shippers or warehouse workers were stealing them. Currently many stores will not ship them online at all instead just letting you buy them online and pick it up in person at the retailer, this was done because not only the thefts occuring between warehouses to doorsteps(and a bunch of pissed off customers they had to give refunds) but also because bots are buying them all up the second they hit online stores so they can scalp them for profit.

The problem has been so bad some are estimating that 80% of the ps5/ xbox x/s are being bought by hoarders and scalpers who just plan to sell them on ebay for 1-300% markup.

There are also numerous scams, ali baba is selling fake ps5's, there have been pictures that pop up sometimes on the internet of fake ps5 systems, that when arrived do not look like the ps5, and end up being some android fake system made in china somewhere. The few pictures I had seen of those fake consoles used the old concept art not the current design, which indicates these scammers probably had the scams planned for a while, and even had hoax consoles in production already before the current design was released to the public.

Stay safe and be cafefull, do not buy from one of these shady scalpers, do not buy from ebay scammers selling a pic or an empty box, and do not buy from a questionable source that will likely sell you a cheaply made chinese ripoff that can not actually play games. Stick with real retailers and it is preferable to order it online to pick up in store so you atleast know what you get when you get it.

Thanks, my dude - will definitely not be buying from a scalper, nor do I frequent those shady fake sites - went onto Wish one time, still haven't recovered...lol....

I don't necessarily blame Sony for scalpers, I have given it long thought and could not come up with a way to prevent scalpers, outside of delaying online sales for a month or two, which obviously wouldn't work right now. But I do think a special place should be created in Hell for them...nothing too crazy, it's just a video game, perhaps just a zone of constant frustration, disappointment, and minor inconvenience...and disappointed 8 year olds. :)

Good luck!

Yeah...honestly, if it were for me, I'd have no problem waiting, I generally hate buying first gen anyway...plus I'm a little on the cheap side, so if it were for me, I'd wait until at least the first price decrease. But, there is an 8 year old involved, so... yeah.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, though...gonna need it if I hope to get this damn thing for Christmas morning. :)

There's just a massive bottleneck in foundry time for producing the silicon right now. AMD has a major CPU launch and a GPU launch on top of the XBOX and Playstation CPU and GPU demand. Such a large bottleneck, in fact, that their latest GPU launch only really happened on paper. There are major retailers who literally didn't get a single unit shipped to them.

Made worse by the unprecedented demand of people being at home more and wanting more than the usual amount of electronics toys for entertainment.

There's just a massive bottleneck in foundry time for producing the silicon right now. AMD has a major CPU launch and a GPU launch on top of the XBOX and Playstation CPU and GPU demand. Such a large bottleneck, in fact, that their latest GPU launch only really happened on paper. There are major retailers who literally didn't get a single unit shipped to them.

Made worse by the unprecedented demand of people being at home more and wanting more than the usual amount of electronics toys for entertainment.

I don’t think that is it. Sony is claiming huge numbers of launch sales yet it seems very few players have them. It seems the scalpers have most of the inventory. I have never seen a console before that didn’t really have a pre order. If Sony really sold over double the ps4 release then it should have had no trouble doing a pre order system. However they and the retailers went with an all digital route and the bots scooped up all the systems.

I think once they get a lot more systems in stock and the necessity of getting one before Christmas goes away their sales are going to drop dramatically and they are going to wonder what happened to all the demand.

I don’t think that is it. Sony is claiming huge numbers of launch sales yet it seems very few players have them. It seems the scalpers have most of the inventory. I have never seen a console before that didn’t really have a pre order. If Sony really sold over double the ps4 release then it should have had no trouble doing a pre order system. However they and the retailers went with an all digital route and the bots scooped up all the systems.

I think once they get a lot more systems in stock and the necessity of getting one before Christmas goes away their sales are going to drop dramatically and they are going to wonder what happened to all the demand.
He is partially right though, there is a cpu production bottleneck.

The cpu/gpu for both systems are made by amd, the ps5 uses a brand new setup, while the xbox series x uses an even more advanced amd cpu/gpu that it had to push launch back to get it, being literally the first systems to have such products. Given how new both of those systems use new cpu/gpu rigs in low production numbers, it would means the consoles could only be produced in low numbers at this time.

The scalpers just made it worse, where we may have had a few hundred thousand systems by now, instead you may have had 30k to consumers directly with the rest going to scalpers to be marked up for resale.

He is partially right though, there is a cpu production bottleneck.

The cpu/gpu for both systems are made by amd, the ps5 uses a brand new setup, while the xbox series x uses an even more advanced amd cpu/gpu that it had to push launch back to get it, being literally the first systems to have such products. Given how new both of those systems use new cpu/gpu rigs in low production numbers, it would means the consoles could only be produced in low numbers at this time.

The scalpers just made it worse, where we may have had a few hundred thousand systems by now, instead you may have had 30k to consumers directly with the rest going to scalpers to be marked up for resale.

how do you reconcile low numbers of units produced with double the amount of units sold vs ps4?

it seems they were able to produce a significant amount of units. The issue is how the mishandled the pre sale and the retailers not caring if customers or bots bought them

how do you reconcile low numbers of units produced with double the amount of units sold vs ps4?

it seems they were able to produce a significant amount of units. The issue is how the mishandled the pre sale and the retailers not caring if customers or bots bought them
Considering the xbox also used the amd cpu that could easily put the double sold into just the 2 next gen consoles only. And even if we considered amd selling other chips of that type to the market for pc users, they can only produce x amount. A chip maker like amd can not say only this is getting chips and no one else is, they have to produce for many buyers, sony and microsoft include those buyers.

Amd has also skyrocketed recently putting intel in their place, something they have not done in a very long time, there is also massive demand for the amd chips in the pc market as well.

Considering the xbox also used the amd cpu that could easily put the double sold into just the 2 next gen consoles only. And even if we considered amd selling other chips of that type to the market for pc users, they can only produce x amount. A chip maker like amd can not say only this is getting chips and no one else is, they have to produce for many buyers, sony and microsoft include those buyers.

Amd has also skyrocketed recently putting intel in their place, something they have not done in a very long time, there is also massive demand for the amd chips in the pc market as well.

AMD is not making the chips. They do not have factories to make them. They contract that out to TSMC primarily.

AMD is not making the chips. They do not have factories to make them. They contract that out to TSMC primarily.
the TSMC bottleneck is affecting a lot of technologies, CPUs, GPUs, consoles, etc.

I suspect when they refab for the next node, they will strongly consider putting in more capacity as they effectively have a monopoly outside of samsung (which is a smaller player)

But for now, this is what its going to be. I am so glad I refreshed my PC last year.

the TSMC bottleneck is affecting a lot of technologies, CPUs, GPUs, consoles, etc.

I suspect when they refab for the next node, they will strongly consider putting in more capacity as they effectively have a monopoly outside of samsung (which is a smaller player)

But for now, this is what its going to be. I am so glad I refreshed my PC last year.

Global Foundries has pretty much given up on trying to produce top tier chips and I believe is sticking to about the 25 nm process for now. If I am not mistaken Global Foundries was spun off from AND a few years ago

Intel can't get its 10 nm process to work properly leaving TSMC and Samsung at the top, with TSMC as the leader ( as you mentioned )

5 years ago I would never have expected TSMC to be the top chip maker or that Intel woyld have fallen so far behind

You would be right tsmc makes them, as they are the only ones currently making 7nm chips, global foundries are making 12nm as they lowest number, and intel nor samsung are making chips that small either yet, atleast for desktop computers though some mobile processors have been made using the 7 nm process as well as ram.

Either way demand is high and tsmc can not produce enough to keep up. Heck tell me honestly did you think 2 years ago everyone would end up wanting amd chips and seeing intel chips going on sale? Amd has not been able to beat intel in performance to price ratio in quite a long time, and they have been unable to beat them in performance outright since single core processors were the norm. In 2019 amd caught up with intel and in 2020 amd blew them out of the water, and at the moment demand for their processors is sky high and will likely remain so for gamers until intel gets their next leap forward up and rolling.

Im not doubting the competition for the chips. Simply pointing out that Ps5 doubled the launch of PS4 and is still very scarce. On a positive note I was able to get one today from target.

Back
Top Bottom