• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Protests erupt across China in unprecedented challenge to Xi Jinping’s zero-Covid policy

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
By CNN's Beijing bureau
Updated 4:06 AM EST, Sun November 27, 2022

Beijing (CNN) — Protests erupted across China on Saturday, including at universities and in Shanghai where hundreds chanted “Step down, Xi Jinping! Step down, Communist Party!” in an unprecedented show of defiance against the country’s stringent and increasingly costly zero-Covid policy.

A deadly fire at an apartment block in Urumqi, the capital of the far western region of Xinjiang, which killed 10 people and injured nine on Thursday has acted as a catalyst for searing public anger, as videos emerged that seemed to suggest lockdown measures delayed firefighters from reaching the victims.

Protests broke out in cities and at universities across China on Saturday with some stretching into Sunday, according to social media videos and witness accounts.

Awesome.

Because this not just about their Covid lockdown terror, but also against the dictatorship of the CCP and Orwellian mass surveillance.

Xi Jin PingPong is deeply unpopular throughout China.

Since Xi took power in 2012 economic growth has crashed from 10% to the current 2% to 4% at best. Nomura said in 2018 Chinese economic growth was headed to zero by 2024 and worse after then. China as a still developing economy cannot develop further at this rate, given only 600m of its 1.5 bn population participates in the development that has been enabled by USA cooperation mainly -- a cooperation that exists no more.

Chinese I knew in 2014-15 were saying to me then Xi had to be stopped because his primary compulsion is to out-Mao Mao, ie, that the Party controls everything no matter.

These continuing lockdowns of entire cities of ten million population, such as Guangzhou in the South where I lived and worked for several years, is just too much for the Chinese or anyone to accept or tolerate. Guangzhou people are very independent of any emperor who, as they say, is far away while the mountains are high in between.

The Chinese people's fear of the PLA military garrisons in their most populous cities that has held them back throughout Xi's reign is now being tossed aside. The people have begun to take to the streets against their Trump similar crackpot leader Xi Jinping. The Chinese people also know a crucial factor, which is that the PLA hates Xi because he demands they do the impossible, ie, fight like the Americans fight. Two top PLA commanders were arrested by Xi in separate attempts before each of 'em could execute a coup to remove him. Washington would have welcomed that as a temporary action, while denouncing it of course.

Xi's greatest fear at this point is that the PLA will take this fierce anger of the Chinese people against Xi to remove him at long last. Guangzhou City next to Hong Kong is Ye Olde Canton that remains the most open to the West area of China and, in nothing new, is at the center of another rebellion. As I said, it's where I spent 6 years of my ten years in China until last November when the National Security Police ordered me to leave China or else. Great thanks to the US Embassy I'm home free despite the meanest efforts of Xi's national security police. I know most of the Chinese in southernmost China at the South China Sea are Xi's worst nightmare.

Xi's is in his deepest shit ever right now with no relief in sight for him. The popular reaction against Xi becoming Emperor for Life in October is unexpected and powerful. The Covid lockdowns of Xi are looking like the same kind of disaster that cost Trump his reelection in the USA because of Trump's own stupid bungling of Covid. I've said for several years Xi is China's Trump, it's just that in China the leader always must present a calm plastic face in public. No societal disorder or division in China is acceptable for any reason. Yet because of Xi's density about Covid to this day, this is what is occurring now. Many economic and political grievances are taken to the streets precipitated by the one Covid stupidity of zero tolerance because no Chinese vaccine is effective. To this date besides.

Last edited:
Wow!

Those protesters are brave. (I speak as a lifelong coward.)

And foolish?

The Emperor remembers Tiananmen Square, so he is going to really crack down and make some protesters martyrs. (As in Iran.)

The Emperor has already crushed dissent in Hong Kong (even arresting a Catholic Cardinal).

The left vax addicts with SS Fauci would love to see those jack boot measures here in the States. Beat down some folks into submission.

Well I'm glad to see it, but unfortunately, I don't think this ends well for many of them.

A good look at why we must always remain vigilant against would be tyranny here.

Since Xi took power in 2012 economic growth has crashed from 10% to the current 2% to 4% at best. Nomura said in 2018 Chinese economic growth was headed to zero by 2024 and worse after then. China as a still developing economy cannot develop further at this rate, given only 600m of its 1.5 bn population participates in the development that has been enabled by USA cooperation mainly -- a cooperation that exists no more.

Chinese I knew in 2014-15 were saying to me then Xi had to be stopped because his primary compulsion is to out-Mao Mao, ie, that the Party controls everything no matter.

These continuing lockdowns of entire cities of ten million population, such as Guangzhou in the South where I lived and worked for several years, is just too much for the Chinese or anyone to accept or tolerate. Guangzhou people are very independent of any emperor who, as they say, is far away while the mountains are high in between.

The Chinese people's fear of the PLA military garrisons in their most populous cities that has held them back throughout Xi's reign is now being tossed aside. The people have begun to take to the streets against their Trump similar crackpot leader Xi Jinping. The Chinese people also know a crucial factor, which is that the PLA hates Xi because he demands they do the impossible, ie, fight like the Americans fight. Two top PLA commanders were arrested by Xi in separate attempts before each of 'em could execute a coup to remove him. Washington would have welcomed that as a temporary action, while denouncing it of course.

Xi's greatest fear at this point is that the PLA will take this fierce anger of the Chinese people against Xi to remove him at long last. Guangzhou City next to Hong Kong is Ye Olde Canton that remains the most open to the West area of China and, in nothing new, is at the center of another rebellion. As I said, it's where I spent 6 years of my ten years in China until last November when the National Security Police ordered me to leave China or else. Great thanks to the US Embassy I'm home free despite the meanest efforts of Xi's national security police. I know most of the Chinese in southernmost China at the South China Sea are Xi's worst nightmare.

Xi's is in his deepest shit ever right now with no relief in sight for him. The popular reaction against Xi becoming Emperor for Life in October is unexpected and powerful. The Covid lockdowns of Xi are looking like the same kind of disaster that cost Trump his reelection in the USA because of Trump's own stupid bungling of Covid. I've said for several years Xi is China's Trump, it's just that in China the leader always must present a calm plastic face in public. No societal disorder or division in China is acceptable for any reason. Yet because of Xi's density about Covid to this day, this is what is occurring now. Many economic and political grievances are taken to the streets precipitated by the one Covid stupidity of zero tolerance because no Chinese vaccine is effective. To this date besides.

The question in my mind remains….why is China still seeing waves of Covid breakouts?

It isn’t happening in the West.

China seems to have been on a series of waves of these restrictions.

Could that be because people ignored , or tried to circumvent previous lockdowns?

The left vax addicts with SS Fauci would love to see those jack boot measures here in the States. Beat down some folks into submission.

Ah stifle it - Fauci had absolutely zero power except the power you imagined him to have. How many times are we going to go over this? He had zero power to order a lock down. Zero power to require masks be worn. He had no power at all. You're just marching in your own Mardi Gras parade of ignorance.

Throw me somethin mista

The question in my mind remains….why is China still seeing waves of Covid breakouts?

Because their vaccines don't work and their strategy of zero covid has relied on completely shutting down the virus by shutting down all human interaction. That actually worked until the newer, more transmissible variants started emerging. What China's doing now is highly impractical.

Could that be because people ignored , or tried to circumvent previous lockdowns?

No, they have tried to balance core industrial activity with limited (or zero) spread in the community because they're afraid their hospital systems will be overwhelmed. More importantly, this would give people the impression that the CCP doesn't exactly have things under control.

Stupidly, the CCP would rather people die than purchase a Western vaccine.

It isn’t happening in the West.

China seems to have been on a series of waves of these restrictions.

china continues the old policy of the west-- zero covid.
meanwhile in the usa, there a thousand or so deaths per week from covid.
however, american policy is now to accept that as a price-- no lockdowns.

Ah stifle it - Fauci had absolutely zero power except the power you imagined him to have. How many times are we going to go over this? He had zero power to order a lock down. Zero power to require masks be worn. He had no power at all. You're just marching in your own Mardi Gras parade of ignorance.

Throw me somethin mista

this is true--- opposition to lockdowns, face masks was treated respectfully by those who favored it.
it was never seen as 'anti-science.'

fauci had nothing to do with any of these things.

Interesting perspective from The China Show (my favorite source of news related to China)

The hosts of The China Show have long complained about the apathy of the average Chinese citizen, where women and children are kidnapped in broad daylight and nobody intervenes, or they blithely walk past people dying in the streets, unwilling to help. It's a rather common condition in authoritarian states where care for your fellow man is practically beaten out of you.

They are now shocked by the videos of coordinated revolt in China and the Chinese people actually intervening on behalf of fellow Chinese citizens who are being arrested by the police.

This is all a very good sign, but unfortunately it is rare that a regime like China will go down without a lot of bloodshed...

Also, in the long series of warts showing up in the Chinese economy, there are several stories about fires in apartments where the people died because the state wouldn't unlock their building due to COVID lockdowns.

These are exacerbated by the realization that many fire hydrants in cities are dummies, not connected to the water system because the state mandated X number of hydrants, but didn't mention they should work, so they just sank hydrants into a block of concrete and called it a day.

But hey, they got that fancy train system! :rolleyes:

The video has been posted on several Twitter accounts, I just picked a random one ...

You picked a random QAnon profile to lead posters to, that's weird.

This loony rant against Fauci brought to you by Citizens Utterly Obsessed with Fauci.

IS THERE A POSSIBILLITY CHINA BECOMES A DEMOCRACY?

Has the CCP overplayed it's hand (lockdown there)

All the best for actual freedom fighters aginst the monsters in China's GOV

No
Economic growth was going to slow as China became increasingly developed. They were not going to maintain 10% for decades. And no, China will continue to develop because none of what you said actually transpired.

Never happened.
Except Xi has stacked the CMC with loyalists, and the PLA has been cowed into obedience.
Xi's is in his deepest shit ever right now with no relief in sight for him. The popular reaction against Xi becoming Emperor for Life in October is unexpected and powerful.
Not at all. There was no such popular reaction. You do realize these protests were miniscule, containing several thousand college age students, out of over a billion citizens, and most were dispersed peacefully. These protests were also not about Xi seeking a third term, they were about the Zero-covid policy. The media is trying to amplify it and make it seem like a popular revolt.
The Covid lockdowns of Xi are looking like the same kind of disaster that cost Trump his reelection in the USA because of Trump's own stupid bungling of Covid. I've said for several years Xi is China's Trump, it's just that in China the leader always must present a calm plastic face in public. No societal disorder or division in China is acceptable for any reason. Yet because of Xi's density about Covid to this day, this is what is occurring now. Many economic and political grievances are taken to the streets precipitated by the one Covid stupidity of zero tolerance because no Chinese vaccine is effective. To this date besides.
Blah blah blah nonsense. Usual drivel

What you fail to realize in your mumbling is that without zero covid there would be a widespread COVID epidemic, like Wuhan except for the whole country. Zero covid has saved over a million lives, and without it variants like Omicron would spread like wildfire since Sinovac is wildly ineffective against it.

No
Economic growth was going to slow as China became increasingly developed. They were not going to maintain 10% for decades. And no, China will continue to develop because none of what you said actually transpired.
Never happened.
Except Xi has stacked the CMC with loyalists, and the PLA has been cowed into obedience.
Not at all. There was no such popular reaction. You do realize these protests were miniscule, containing several thousand college age students, out of over a billion citizens, and most were dispersed peacefully. These protests were also not about Xi seeking a third term, they were about the Zero-covid policy. The media is trying to amplify it and make it seem like a popular revolt.
Blah blah blah nonsense. Usual drivel
What you fail to realize in your mumbling is that without zero covid there would be a widespread COVID epidemic, like Wuhan except for the whole country. Zero covid has saved over a million lives, and without it variants like Omicron would spread like wildfire since Sinovac is wildly ineffective against it.
De Nile isn't only a river in Egypt.

It also runs through your chicken farm and all of its chickenshit.

All you do in the post is deny everything in my post.

For instance, a billion people are not needed to rout the CCP into chaos so your denial is both OTT in its comparison and in its (alleged) thought. PLA hates Xi and remains controlled largely by former Pres. Jiang Zemin who detests Xi and, as Xi found out, is the one guy in China he cannot manage to arrest. Jiang remains too strong in the CCP and PLA. Xi appointed two top generals of PLA and each of 'em separately and independently attempted an unsuccessful coup against him. Bo Xilai the Party Big Boss of Big Chongqing City was snagged by Xi plotting a Party coup against Xi.

Zero Covid is because the CCP vaccines are inadequate -- insufficient. The Chinese vaccine is a failure and Zero Covid is a failure. So there's no end to this that is either happy or satisfactory over there.

CCP doesn't know anything about how to do business. All they have is their ideology and doctrines -- control. And massive corruption.

China is rolling out the military for a crackdown

The next 72 hours will determine a lot. Many Chinese nationals seem to think that the military won't so readily follow the kill order this time. I have my doubts...

De Nile isn't only a river in Egypt.

It also runs through your chicken farm and all of its chickenshit.

All you do in the post is deny everything in my post.

For instance, a billion people are not needed to rout the CCP into chaos so your denial is both OTT in its comparison and in its (alleged) thought.
A couple thousand, out of a billion citizens. This is not a a popular revolution.
PLA hates Xi and remains controlled largely by former Pres. Jiang Zemin who detests Xi and, as Xi found out, is the one guy in China he cannot manage to arrest. Jiang remains too strong in the CCP and PLA. Xi appointed two top generals of PLA and each of 'em separately and independently attempted an unsuccessful coup against him. Bo Xilai the Party Big Boss of Big Chongqing City was snagged by Xi plotting a Party coup against Xi.
No. You are a decade behind. Xi has not arrested any of his predecessors, and Jiang not only has no power whatsoever, he's also dead. There was no coup, and its telling how you dont bother to source this accusation.
Zero Covid is because the CCP vaccines are inadequate -- insufficient. The Chinese vaccine is a failure and Zero Covid is a failure. So there's no end to this that is either happy or satisfactory over there.

CCP doesn't know anything about how to do business. All they have is their ideology and doctrines -- control. And massive corruption.
Wrong

Interesting perspective from The China Show (my favorite source of news related to China)

The hosts of The China Show have long complained about the apathy of the average Chinese citizen, where women and children are kidnapped in broad daylight and nobody intervenes, or they blithely walk past people dying in the streets, unwilling to help. It's a rather common condition in authoritarian states where care for your fellow man is practically beaten out of you.

They are now shocked by the videos of coordinated revolt in China and the Chinese people actually intervening on behalf of fellow Chinese citizens who are being arrested by the police.

This is all a very good sign, but unfortunately it is rare that a regime like China will go down without a lot of bloodshed...

That really is the best show on China huh?

Back
Top Bottom