• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Protestors in Portland, Oregon deserve praise.

Justin Jared

Reaction score

I don't want to sound like I condone misbehavior and violence, because I don't, but the Protestors in Portland, Oregon deserve praise.

They are standing up for the rights of individuals who come in contact with law enforcement officers and have grim outcomes unlawfully, and I support their efforts to condemn that through protest. I condone protest, standing up for your rights, sticking up for marginalized communities, sticking up those who get treated unfairly in society, and sticking up for things you believe in -- like a better functioning government and advocating for it to change.

The protestors becoming violent are just fed up with injustice, wrongdoing by their government and it's agencies, and law enforcement officers who kill people like myself, a black person, without any reason for doing so. Most of the people are white, and they are still standing up for people like me.

That's great, and I applaud that. I also applaud them standing up for their desires for a change in their government and law enforcement. The anger they're showing is just a consequence of their disappointment and let downs, they're frustrated and I can't blame them.

I feel sorry for them instead of angry at them, and believe they deserve to not be arrested during their protests and treats better -- even the violent ones. The anger they're showing isn't their fault. What do you think about them? My opinion?

I don't want to sound like I condone misbehavior and violence, because I don't, but the Protestors in Portland, Oregon deserve praise.

They are standing up for the rights of individuals who come in contact with law enforcement officers and have grim outcomes unlawfully, and I support their efforts to condemn that through protest. I condone protest, standing up for your rights, sticking up for marginalized communities, sticking up those who get treated unfairly in society, and sticking up for things you believe in -- like a better functioning government and advocating for it to change.

The protestors becoming violent are just fed up with injustice, wrongdoing by their government and it's agencies, and law enforcement officers who kill people like myself, a black person, without any reason for doing so. Most of the people are white, and they are still standing up for people like me.

That's great, and I applaud that. I also applaud them standing up for their desires for a change in their government and law enforcement. The anger they're showing is just a consequence of their disappointment and let downs, they're frustrated and I can't blame them.

I feel sorry for them instead of angry at them, and believe they deserve to not be arrested during their protests and treats better -- even the violent ones. The anger they're showing isn't their fault. What do you think about them? My opinion?
I think everyone of them should be prosecuted. They should be court ordered to pay restitution to everyone they have finacially harmed and instead of putting them in jail I would give them community service hours matching the equivalent time that they would of been in jail if they were given jail time.
Just because you think they are doing it for a good cause does not excuse them for how they are going about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Protestors in Portland, Oregon deserve praise. <br>

1.Once they become violent they are no longer protesters.Those that riot are not standing up for whats right.They are just scumbags trying to take advantage of a situation. They should be criminally charged for all the damage they caused and people they hurt.They and the elected officials who allowed them rampage should be sued the **** out of in civil court by the home and business owners whose property was damaged or destroyed by those **** sucking rioters.

2. Out of the almost 54 million encounters the public has with the over half a million law enforcement officials only around a 1000 people a year end up getting killed by the police and most of those are warranted. Most people killed by the police are not George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Eric Gardner or other people unjustly killed by the police. <br>

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpp15.pdf
In 2015, an estimated 21% of U.S. residents age 16 or older about 53.5 million person had experienced some type of contact with the police during the prior 12 months.

How Many People Are Killed by Police Each Year? - The Atlantic
1,146(26% were black people IE 298 black people killed by police) and 1,092(26% were black people IE 284 killed by police) victims of police violence in 2015 and 2016, respectively

• U.S. law enforcement officers 2018 | Statista
In 2018, there were 686,665 full-time law enforcement officers employed in the United States. The number of full-time law enforcement officers reached a peak in 2008 with 708,569 officers, and hit a low in 2013 with 626,942 officers.

3.I am not going to applaud anti-cop racists and other degenerates ********ers who are trying to make it seem as though police are just out killing black people when statistics show they are not. Especially when those **** suckers don't give a **** about the actual thousands of innocent black people murdered by other black people each year or the disproportionate number of abortion clinics in black communities all across American in black communities responsible for there being millions of less black people in this country.

4.If you want the tiny handful of cops that are bad to be held accountable then demand that your elected officials quit agreeing to stupid police union contracts that make it hard to fire bad cops.

5.The appropriate places to protest would be outside city hall, outside the mayor's office(if it's not located in city hall), outside the mayor's house, and outside the city counselor's houses. Because those are the people who hire and fire the police chief. Those are the people who agree to stupid union contracts that make it hard to fire the handful of cops that are bad. Maybe even protest outside the police chief's office and home if he has any power to dictate what procedures the police do. Shutting down streets, shutting down businesses, assaulting people, committing arson,vandalizing property and looting just piss people and turn them away from your cause.

Last edited:

Do you think being angry and fed up justifies destruction of private property?

download (1).jpgdownload (2).jpgdownload (3).jpgdownload.jpg

Do you think disappointment, let downs and frustration justifies physical assault?

Do you honestly thing the protesters in this video should not be arrested?

While you are ruminating...trying to answer my questions...I'll give you MY opinion.

1. Any protesters...I don't care WHAT they are protesting...who interfere with a citizen's right to access a public roadway or walkway are violating the law. They should immediately be arrested.

2. Any protesters...I don't care WHAT they are protesting...who destroy private or public property are violating the law. They should immediately be arrested.

3. Any protesters...I don't care WHAT they are protesting...who assault, injure or kill other citizens are violating the law. They should immediately be arrested.

Its cute that you think this rioting and mob violence is about racial justice.

do not gather in crowds during a pandemic.

Protesters in Portland are an example of why liberal extremism tends to take down left leaning politics with it. And it places the voter into a position of temporarily voting for this or that but likely against this or that.

Hear me out because there was a time that I was all for what I was seeing out of protests against injustices, discrimination, police militarization and brutality, criminal justice system faults, actions of the government, etc.

But every bit of that was soured by excused violence. Understanding why people are fed up with all the things we see wrong quickly turns into being fed up with seeing disaster in the streets, damage to private property, harm to people, etc.

I do blame them, because their behavior mutes the names that still do not have justice. George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Eric Garner, etc.

It sounds like your condoning them to me. The rioters who don't have the self-control to stop acting out their anger, only sets back the cause. The millions of protesters marching in the streets are angry, disappointed, let down and frustrated too, but they make good copy. Video of guys wearing football helmets and using trashcan shields and burning small businesses really makes us look bad and gives Trump more ammo. Confederate statutes are a different matter.

I have no problem arresting the rioters, its's their choice, they pay the price. Although I think they should get a light sentence and/or fine...

The anger that they are showing is nothing more but a doorway for some very smart people to manipulate in regards to different political goals.

Instead of better themselves as individuals and become productive members of society, I guess, is easier to be a sheep and have something to blame, in this case the police or the system. You add on top of that unemployment and COVID restrictions.

The environment is similar to Germany 1930's when the middle class had enough and closed their eyes when the criminal SS started using violence against communist mobs. In another words they sold their soul to the devil for protection.

This is where group mentality leads you, to atrocities and violence, on both sides. Action - Reaction in a never ending cycle.

do not gather in crowds during a pandemic.

Do not riot and loot overnight as we saw in Chicago last night. These are not BLM and should be vociferously condemned by BLM ASAP. People’s lives have been ruined.

It appears BLM wants to piss away an election. Good luck with this one today. Good luck getting people to watch any leisure sports where we get our problems rubbed in our faces.

Back
Top Bottom