• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Protect Dreamers and build the wall, and we can all win

So argues the editorial board of the Dallas Morning News:

A deal in which America protects Dreamers and gives them a clear and simple path to citizenship while offering real protection on the border would be a way for both the President and Democratic leaders to walk away from this shutdown as winners. What's more, the American people would support them. https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2019/01/17/protect-dreamers-build-wall-can-win

Is this a compromise you could live with?

Trump already put that deal on the table and it's not been taken up.

I'd say sure -- Dreamers for the wall. But the wall is not real protection. But if taxpayers are okay with flushing their money down a toilet so be it.

Facts say that the wall actually is real protection and it would pay for itself.

A deal in which America protects Dreamers and gives them a clear and simple path to citizenship while offering real protection on the border would be a way for both the President and Democratic leaders to walk away from this shutdown as winners. What's more, the American people would support them. https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2019/01/17/protect-dreamers-build-wall-can-win

Can Trump supporters?

I tend to doubt it.

Yeah but the trouble is, Trump's base can't, that's amnesty for folks. There's no way thy give DACA. This isn't happening, there will be no wall and No DACA. Eventually somehow they will have to open the government, but neither DACA nor the wll will ever happen. Too much fear of browning to ever allow for DACA, and even Republicans in Washington know this is only about a win for Trump, and is irrelevant to border security, othter than wasting some money.

If it could happen I wouldn't care, but it has like a -99%chance, so there's that.....

Less than a snowballs chance in HELL any of the hard right is EVER OK with DACA amnesty.

I don't know. I'm of "Trump's base", and I think, for the sake of getting the government open, this is perfectly acceptable, as long as democrats agree to the building of the wall.

I don't know. I'm of "Trump's base", and I think, for the sake of getting the government open, this is perfectly acceptable, as long as democrats agree to the building of the wall.

I know you would. Trumpets have been for sloppy slapdash Government from the start. It is in large part why they are Trumpets.

Trump is holding the govt. hostage -- Pelosi and Schumer are not. They have been willing to negotiate from the very beginning. Congress tried to pass a bill to get the government up and running again as the negotiations take place but Trump is not interested. He wants what he wants and he does not give one iota of a **** about anyone/anything else.

Bull****, All they have to do is give him the 5.6 billion. That's it. IT's not like he's asking for a trillion to his private hotels. He's trying to build a wall that they have voted for before. If we can have a wall on 640 millions of a 2000 mile border....what's wrong with finishing it? What's wrong with having a wall on the rest of the 1.4 thousand miles?

Facts say that the wall actually is real protection and it would pay for itself.

No. Alternative facts do, but not REAL facts. It takes an objective and critical-thinking person to see the difference.

Trump already put that deal on the table and it's not been taken up.

Does Pelosi expect a different reaction this time when she screws over her Dreamers?

Bull****, All they have to do is give him the 5.6 billion. That's it. IT's not like he's asking for a trillion to his private hotels. He's trying to build a wall that they have voted for before. If we can have a wall on 640 millions of a 2000 mile border....what's wrong with finishing it? What's wrong with having a wall on the rest of the 1.4 thousand miles?

LOL... you think it's going to end at 6 billion???????????? :lol:

Ah man... the gullibility of non-critical thinking people. Wake up, y'all.....

Nobody is going to trust Trump on such an offer. Even the DACA recipients themselves know better. The GOP needs to get off the dime. Open government first. Nothing and I do mean nothing is going to happen at the point of a knife.

Baloney!

I doubt that will work simply because the left doesn't want a wall at any cost. What's interesting is watching them support illegal aliens above our own citizens.

Mexico is paying for the wall, but i agree that those brought here as kids should have a path to citizenship.

I know you would. Trumpets have been for sloppy slapdash Government from the start. It is in large part why they are Trumpets.

So why pretend to speak for "trump supporters"? Trump supporters like trump, and if he thinks this a good deal, then I think most trump supporters will trust his decisions. So of course we'd go for this! Democrats just have to agree....and well....I think we all know what dems will choose.....and it won't be to reopen government.

I doubt that will work simply because the left doesn't want a wall at any cost. What's interesting is watching them support illegal aliens above our own citizens.

Trump does not want a Wall. He would have worked for one during his first two years in office if he wanted one. He wants a Wall Fight and that is about where it ends for him. On top of that, he does not care what gets destroyed in the fight.

No. Alternative facts do, but not REAL facts. It takes an objective and critical-thinking person to see the difference.

Sorry, nope...real facts do. I'm sorry that shakes your fragile world view.

So why pretend to speak for "trump supporters"? Trump supporters like trump, and if he thinks this a good deal, then I think most trump supporters will trust his decisions. So of course we'd go for this! Democrats just have to agree....and well....I think we all know what dems will choose.....and it won't be to reopen government.

In fact, Dems will and are insisting the Gov reopen before anything else happens.

I can live with the conditions that the editorial proposes as a starting point in negotiations and I suspect Trump could also. After all, he has constantly asked for negotiations. However, I haven't seen any indication that either Pelosi or Schumer care about the Dreamers all that much nor any indication from them that they even want to negotiate.

It takes two to tango and one of the dance partners prefers to get out of town.

Of course. Their game plan is to either remove Trump or beat him in 2020, then ignore the border and go for blanket amnesty. That will then open the spigot for more swarms to arrive due to the idea that they, too, can become citizens simply by showing up.

The wall is not real protection. It makes more sense to use heat seeking drones and other technology than building a wall spanning the boarder. People can dig under it. Climb over it. Destroy sections of it. And it will inevitably fall to ruin.

Congress would be entirely irresponsible to fund such a project without doing adequate research into the cost and benefits of giving Trump the funding.

So that's a no for compromise, yes?

In fact, Dems will and are insisting the Gov reopen before anything else happens.

They say that, but then, the very deal they wanted (DACA + Wall Funding) they're not taking up so....actions speak louder than words.

There was a time a Democrat would have gone to the funeral of a police officer killed by an illegal alien. Now, in California, they don't even acknowledge it.

Trump does not want a Wall. He would have worked for one during his first two years in office if he wanted one. He wants a Wall Fight and that is about where it ends for him. On top of that, he does not care what gets destroyed in the fight.

The spineless GOP House could have funded a wall in five minutes. They did not do so. Trump sees that this may be the last chance in a long time to get the wall funded unless the GOP could somehow regain the House in 2020, a debatable prospect. The Dems could end the shutdown now if they wanted but they put not compromising with Trump above all.

There was a time a Democrat would have gone to the funeral of a police officer killed by an illegal alien. Now, in California, they don't even acknowledge it.

Yes, they are complicit in such deaths due to their policies. It is quite shameful.

Bingo!
Not just the wall- Trump doesn't want to shut down illegal immigration by any means. He just wants it to be the Democrats' fault.

Walls and fences stand in any weather. Day or night. Clouds or sunshine. Snow or rain. Wind or freezing cold.
Drones are affected by all of the above and the cost per catching an illegal far outpaces that of using walls and humans.

So, when exactly did Democrats decide walls didn't wor?. It must have been some time after 2013 when all Senate Democrats voted from no less than 700 miles of border fence (double even!), ending the visa lottery and chain migration.
Hmm...what changed?:confused:

They say that, but then, the very deal they wanted (DACA + Wall Funding) they're not taking up so....actions speak louder than words.

Trump rejected Wall for Daca in 2018. So nobody trusts that offer and well they should not. If he opens the gov he takes the knife edge away from dem throats. A knife edge has no place in government. It is not Dems fault that Trump neither has the wherewithal nor the belief in his Wall to see it through the Appropriations process which is what he should have done during his first two years on office.

As I have said often in these pages, the next time you boys want to destroy parts of government and then have the unmitigated gall to ask for something from what is left, pick a champion that knows how to do more than flap his gums incoherently.

Plus, I for one would not trust that its wall for DACA until reading the fine print and all the spaces within the fine print and even then, if gov was not first opened, NO DEAL!

Back
Top Bottom