• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Protect Dreamers and build the wall, and we can all win

Trump is holding the govt. hostage -- Pelosi and Schumer are not. They have been willing to negotiate from the very beginning. Congress tried to pass a bill to get the government up and running again as the negotiations take place but Trump is not interested. He wants what he wants and he does not give one iota of a **** about anyone/anything else.

What part of Pelosi's "No" do you not understand?

So argues the editorial board of the Dallas Morning News:

A deal in which America protects Dreamers and gives them a clear and simple path to citizenship while offering real protection on the border would be a way for both the President and Democratic leaders to walk away from this shutdown as winners. What's more, the American people would support them. https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2019/01/17/protect-dreamers-build-wall-can-win

Is this a compromise you could live with?

I would need to see "the wall" defined (not just in terms of a 1 time cost, but a yearly cost after completion for guards and maintenance), and see a hard definition of "dreamer" as well.

Neither side trust the other to follow through.

Neither side trust the other to follow through.

Why would ANYONE trust Trump? What has he done to earn trust?

At least Pelosi has been honest, no wall, period, and that's not changing, yet anyway, I guess we'll see.

Actually its the politicians that "win" in these stupid lets make a deal legislative efforts. They get to avoid doing the hard work required to actually "Legislate" and instead just give up in both directions and declare victory while the "people" lose. Thanks but no thanks.

Yes. Term limits for all the bastards.

Why would ANYONE trust Trump? What has he done to earn trust?

At least Pelosi has been honest, no wall, period, and that's not changing, yet anyway, I guess we'll see.

Pelosi is honest she doesn't want to protect America's borders. She is honest she just wants to resist Trump.

Pelosi is honest she doesn't want to protect America's borders. She is honest she just wants to resist Trump.

She does want to protect the borders. But she does not think the wall is an effective means to stop drugs and illegals coming over. Why is that so difficult for you and your ilk to understand?

A deal in which America protects Dreamers and gives them a clear and simple path to citizenship while offering real protection on the border would be a way for both the President and Democratic leaders to walk away from this shutdown as winners. What's more, the American people would support them. https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2019/01/17/protect-dreamers-build-wall-can-win

The wall is not real protection. It makes more sense to use heat seeking drones and other technology than building a wall spanning the boarder. People can dig under it. Climb over it. Destroy sections of it. And it will inevitably fall to ruin.

Congress would be entirely irresponsible to fund such a project without doing adequate research into the cost and benefits of giving Trump the funding.

Yeah but the trouble is, Trump's base can't, that's amnesty for folks. There's no way thy give DACA. This isn't happening, there will be no wall and No DACA. Eventually somehow they will have to open the government, but neither DACA nor the wll will ever happen. Too much fear of browning to ever allow for DACA, and even Republicans in Washington know this is only about a win for Trump, and is irrelevant to border security, othter than wasting some money.

If it could happen I wouldn't care, but it has like a -99%chance, so there's that.....

Less than a snowballs chance in HELL any of the hard right is EVER OK with DACA amnesty.

We shouldn't even be using government workers and dreamers as pawns. Some people are going to get seriously hurt over this BS, and it's nothing more than a political show to many in America. Trumpers can cry for the wall all they want, because I am not going to stand for using innocent people as pawns. Instead, they should put their energy into convincing the rest of us the wall makes sense and is the best option to secure the boarder. I think there are better ways, personally, and if the wall gets funded, there will be more lawsuits and a whole new political side show

Trump walked away from $25B for his wall in exchange for a pathway for Dreamers. Tbf, there were other provisions he did not like, but those were the big 2 compromises.

25b was for 10 years and not guaranteed

Thanks but no thanks

I would love to see Pelosi have to explain again that she passed up a deal on DACA dreamers. I want to see her crap her Depends when they start yelling and screaming in her face.

Trump is holding the govt. hostage -- Pelosi and Schumer are not. They have been willing to negotiate from the very beginning. Congress tried to pass a bill to get the government up and running again as the negotiations take place but Trump is not interested. He wants what he wants and he does not give one iota of a **** about anyone/anything else.

He doesn’t trust them...neither do I....

He wants a bill in front of him he can sign with wall funding....not promises that can be reneged on

Sorry...but that is where we are in political America today

Wall for?.....only no one has sent him a bill or said what they wanted for the wall

I can live with the conditions that the editorial proposes as a starting point in negotiations and I suspect Trump could also. After all, he has constantly asked for negotiations. However, I haven't seen any indication that either Pelosi or Schumer care about the Dreamers all that much nor any indication from them that they even want to negotiate.

It takes two to tango and one of the dance partners prefers to get out of town.

It's patently obvious that Pelosi doesn't care about the dreamers. Further, Trump offering them a path to citizenship will make them appreciative...to Trump. Pelosi can't have her precious voting bloc defecting.

He wants a bill in front of him he can sign with wall funding....not promises that can be reneged on

Wall for?.....only no one has sent him a bill or said what they wanted for the wall

You trust Trump? :screwy

She does want to protect the borders. But she does not think the wall is an effective means to stop drugs and illegals coming over. Why is that so difficult for you and your ilk to understand?

What...the same way republicans didn’t want the ACA but it was slammed down our throats...you mean we need to understand that?

Those in power get to make some decisions....comes with the territory....and those who lost the election get to bitch about thos3 results

Again...politics

Presidents get one or two main things done during their tenure....that’s it.....and it usually costs them major political points to get them done....

The wall is Trumps....he isn’t going to budge....his base and those that put him in the chair won’t let him

Just understand that....he isn’t going to give in....even if it takes his entire presidency

Didn't Trump already say no to this....something about having more leverage in the spring when the supreme rules on it?
From my reading and hearing Trumps new negotiation is give me the wall and I'll open the government that's his compromise.
Why in the world is anyone even talking about negotiations in such a climate is beyond me.

The president is attempting to starve and otherwise inflict suffering on hundreds of thousands of American citizens (soon to be tens of millions if this continues another week or two and impacts SNAP funding) to further his agenda. Rewarding that sort of sociopathic behavior and encouraging its recurrence is lunacy.

Are your precious Democrats so devoid of power, intelligence and will that they are helpless to stop him? Oh, wait, they'd have to actually meet with Trump to do something and we've all seen them try to flee D.C. like the cockroaches they are.

If Trump offers the dreamers, 100% he will do it. It's the Dems who have a history of screwing people with their pants on.

Nobody in the Legislature wants the Wall. Trump never actually wanted the Wall nor knew how to get it if he wanted it. His own party rejected it for two years. Nobody is going to offer a counter to the Wall because NOBODY WANTS IT. If Trump wants it, its his move but even that has to come after we reopen government. Nothing is going anywhere at the point of a knife!

If Trump offers the dreamers, 100% he will do it. It's the Dems who have a history of screwing people with their pants on.

Nobody is going to trust Trump on such an offer. Even the DACA recipients themselves know better. The GOP needs to get off the dime. Open government first. Nothing and I do mean nothing is going to happen at the point of a knife.

Back
Top Bottom