• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Prostitution

Should Prostitution be legalized?

• Yes

Votes: 59 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • George Bush

Votes: 8 11.0%

• Total voters

phattonez

Traditionalist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Forget your personal views of it, should it be legal or not?

tacomancer

Big Scary Liberal
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
While a horrible profession, it seems to work better when legal and regulated.

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
It should be legal. If we recognize the right to bodily sovereignty, essentially meaning that one owns their own body, then they should be able to sell/rent the use of their body for money if they desire.

Your Star

Rage More!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Yes. While I don't agree with it morally, like many other things making it illegal won't stop it. And making it legal would help everyone involved in the transaction, the prostitute, and the john.

Also I really don't understand how someone isn't allowed to sell their body, I mean, it's theirs, and it's not hurting anyone else. I believe they should have that option.

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Doesn't make sense to me for an action between two adults that's hurting no one to be illegal. :shrug:

rivrrat

Goddess of Bacon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Makes absolutely no sense that I can have sex with someone for any reason in the world and it's perfectly fine, but if a dollar changes hands suddenly it's a criminal offense. No sense at all. I can sell the use of my body to do anything else and it's perfectly fine. But if I sell the use of my body for sitting on a dick, suddenly it's some horrific thing that must be punished by law.

Absolutely retarded.

Catz Part Deux

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I wouldn't want to do it for a living, but I have no problems with it being legal.

repeter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
We need some form of consistency in the law, so if we can have abortions, the same principle should legalize prostitution. Thats the only reason I'd support this

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Yes, the benefits of legalized prostitution outweigh the cons of it.

UtahBill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Since I have never been offered money for sex, I find the whole business discriminatory...
That aside, it can be legal as long as discretion is used, behind closed doors, etc.

phattonez

Traditionalist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Since I have never been offered money for sex, I find the whole business discriminatory...
That aside, it can be legal as long as discretion is used, behind closed doors, etc.
Fancy yourself a Midnight Cowboy, there?

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
No, we should not legalize prostitution.

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So far I am the only no vote. It seems to me whether it is legal or not is a local decision.

digsbe

Truth will set you free
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

phattonez

Traditionalist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
So far I am the only no vote. It seems to me whether it is legal or not is a local decision.
If it is logical then there woud only be one valid and sound conclusion. So, why did you vote no?

Crosscheck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I want to say yes legalize it but I don't want my mother or daughter working in the broths. Does that make my a hypocrite or just a normal man.

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I want to say yes legalize it but I don't want my mother or daughter working in the broths. Does that make my a hypocrite or just a normal man.
I think you're pretty much normal with that thought. However, if you tell anyone I said that.. I will have to hurt you.

As far as legalizing it, I don't think it'd be a bad thing. I really could care less... however, I'm with whomever said it should be regulated for safety, cleanliness, etc...

phattonez

Traditionalist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I think that's the position of everyone who is voting yes on this.

rivrrat

Goddess of Bacon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Not me. I can think of a ****load of jobs that I wouldn't want someone close to me to work and think prostitution would be far superior to. Fast food is but one.

samsmart

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
That's because of the severe amount of stigma in this country that we've put on prostitution specifically and sex in general.

Also, people should be equally disturbed at what their mother and daughter do for free.

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Forget your personal views of it, should it be legal or not?
Yeah, I think it should be, although I'm not sure it benefits the workers much, unless they unionize.
I knew some girls who traveled to Nevada to work in legal brothels, and they made less doing that than they did stripping here.
Barely made enough to cover their travel expenses.
If I recall correctly, they told me girls up there in the brothels were making a flat hundred bucks a show, with everything else going to the house. I think they also had to pay a room fee, ie rent their room for the shift.
Which is really, really terrible, compared to what girls average in places where prostitution's illegal (a thousand bucks a show, or thereabouts).

Last edited:
Top Bottom